Wednesday, November 1, 2023

PHOTOS FROM GEORGETOWN LOOKING ACROSS THE POTOMAC RIVER.

 A few days ago, husband and son visited Georgetown in Washington DC. They took these photos.

They are looking across the Potomac at Rosslyn on the Virginia side. The Key Bridge disappears into the darkness on the right.
The next photo shows the Kennedy Center all lit up. To the left is the Watergate Complex. These are on the Washington DC side of the Potomac.
The same scene a little closer.
One last photo looking towards Rosslyn, with a plane making its way to Ronald Reagan Airport, which isn't very far away down the river.
We haven't been into DC for a long time and are way overdue. We have always enjoyed going to the Smithsonian Museums, walking around the city and along the Potomac. Years ago, when we were first married, we took our bikes into the city, leaving our car at the Pentagon parking lot. We drove across the Memorial Bridge and made our way alongside the Potomac many times, loving all the impressive sights along the way. We changed our routes, sometimes making our way passed the Lincoln Memorial, passed the Washington Monument and up to the Capitol Building. We haven't had bikes for several years now, but we still drive into the city to look around, although not for quite a while.  

One funny memory to me in our bike-riding days, and one I may have mentioned before as my memory is getting shorter and my blog is getting longer. We passed two young marines jogging along the Potomac and without us realizing, started reenacting the tortoise and the hare. We would pass them, and they would pass us in one direction, and then we would pass them again, and they would pass us in the other. Two very friendly and polite young marines who said hello each time, with a smile and a wave at the slowpokes who were by then running out of gas, figuratively speaking. It took us longer getting back to our starting-off point and by the end of our ride, were always very glad to get back to the car.  It was also usually hot and humid when we went out, something that I have never gotten used to even today.  

I am very thankful to my husband and son who took these photos, not only because I enjoyed each and every one of them, but because they brought back some lovely memories.





44 comments:

  1. The first two photos are so awesome!!! I was born in D.C., and lived and went to school there for 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ginny, I hope you give us some of those memories from your time there one of these days :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely sweet memories there Denise and what beautiful photos...I really enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret and glad you liked the photos.

      Delete
  3. These are STUNNING photos, even without the wonderful memories they evoked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guys have a great eye for taking photos and the memories just came flooding back :) Thanks Sue!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. I love all the reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, the sunset is gorgeous. I like visiting the Smithsonian museums too.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and those museums are great aren't they Eileen? I love going to them. You take care and have a great Friday and weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's lovely along that part. Georgetown is a fun place to visit. Thanks Angie :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous shots!! Our bike riding days are long gone!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, I'd have to have an electric one these days :) Sending hugs!

      Delete
  8. the photos are stunning as are all the beautiful lights, both manmade and God made lights. the thing about us tortoises is we take time to SEE and take photos, the hares miss it all, running to fast to SEE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to DC once, I was in Jr. High. I think it would be interesting to visit again but want nothing to do with that many people! Great to see it through your photos however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. City life is pretty crowded but nearly as that of New York? :) I'm a country girl through and through. Though I have enjoyed my trips to the city, I am always drawn to the mountains first.

      Delete
  10. Hello Denise :=)
    Thank you for sharing these fabulous night time photos taken by your husband and son. The sunsets are gorgeous, and the city lights enhance the buildings in the evening light.
    Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sonjia, you are very welcome :) So glad you enjoyed their photographs. You enjoy the rest of your week also, and have a super weekend!

      Delete
  11. Yes, beautiful pics. I was last in D.C. in 2013. That's when we had lunch with you and Gregg, etc. at the Hilton. It was lovely chatting with you, Denise. I enjoyed your company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember our get-together like it was yesterday Gigi. It was wonderful meeting you and David. We enjoyed your company very much, and also when met up at that wonderful restaurant when we visited Hawaii. Great memories!

      Delete
  12. I've only been in DC once and it was a fantastic stay. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful sun setting shots! I've only been to D.C. twice in my life. There really is so much to take in there. Happy November to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, they did a wonderful job of taking photos. I have been many times over the years and there was always something new to see :) Happy November to you also!

      Delete
  14. The photos are wonderful. I've never been to DC and would love to go. Sunset looks like the time to be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very popular, they said everyone made their way to the water's edge for the sunset. There are restaurants and tables close by also :) I hope you get to see it one day Jeanie. Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Wonderful shots. It's quite pretty there.
    Loved hearing your story and if you told it before I never read it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, and glad you enjoyed my rambles Ann, thank you :)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful photos from both sides of the Potomac! It's lovely to think of you and your husband biking around the memorials! Thank you and Gregg for the lovely photos and memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I will let them know and you are very welcome :) We always had a lot of fun on our bikes :) I had a basket on mine and I would take all the short cuts away from the busy roads to go to the shops during the week.

      Delete
  17. These photos are very nice to keep for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful. Washington is on my list of places to visit. We had plans in March 2020 just before the lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nas, I look forward to your photos when that day happens :) I am so sorry you missed your first trip.

      Delete
  19. Delightful memories you shared, Denise.
    And those photos are a pleasure to see.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Veronica Lee, thank you. Hugs and blessings to you also :)

      Delete
  20. Oh gracious! We haven't been to DC since 2019 when we visited our son and family in Maryland. Now they've moved overseas so I imagine it will be a long while before we go back there. I loved going to the museums, gardens and zoo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay, sounds like you'll have another place to visit with your son and his family being overseas. How wonderful! You mentioned all the places I enjoy going to. There is so much to do there.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!