Thursday, November 30, 2023

A NEW WALK - FOR US - ON THE MANASSAS BATTLEFIELD NATIONAL PARK

 This is part of our walk.  You can make out the moon but barely seeable is the plane on the lower left-hand side of the photo.  It has taken off from Dulles-Washington International Airport.On Saturday (26th November), it was a chilly but very sunny day.  I had found a place to walk thanks to our 'Find My' App, when checking on Gregg's route.  He was on his way from getting some work done on the car, and called to let me know he was leaving.  I automatically check to see where he is on his journey, and I put the kettle on so to speak.I located Gregg's position and noticed he was driving next to the Manassas National Battlefield Park, with landmarks I didn't recognize. There were names I had never seen before, one was the Portici House. I realized this was an area we hadn't been to.  When Gregg got home, I asked if he would enjoy a walk over there sometime. I noticed it had trails.  We are always on the lookout for somewhere new, and both our curiosity was peaked.  It took us another couple of weeks before we rotated through the other walks we like to do and remembered this one. Here's one of me with Gregg in the background looking at a historical marker.  It was a bit brisk to say the least. 

The area, much to our surprise, is across the street from the main visitor center, which we have been to many times over the years, and where we always concentrated our walks around. This part of the battlefield had been hidden behind a line of trees and we had never noticed the signs pointing in its direction. It was a wooded area in parts. We were happy to have discovered it. I don't think many people have, as it was very secluded and most seem to stick to the main trails and the more visible areas they know. I'm sure this is what we have done.No one else was around except for a lady with her dog. We didn't meet them until we were on our way back to the car. This is Pepper and she is five years' old, a sweet, friendly little dog whose lady was worried because she was a bit jumpy and wanted a lot of fussing. We're dog people we told her, as we always tell other concerned owners, and not to worry.  Pepper - dogs in general I think and more often than not - recognize friends.  Here she is finally paying attention with the anticipation of a treat.Otherwise, perhaps because of the lateness in the day (we went there for sunset), and the fact that it was extremely chilly and getting chillier as the light faded, we were on our own. Yes, it was cold but invigorating and very enjoyable.  It was also enjoyable seeing the moon rise. I had read that there really isn't a lot here to see but wide, open fields, and the walk along the trail. That was more than enough for us. Our surroundings were peaceful, beautiful!  I read a warning somewhere online, to be careful you didn’t twist an ankle, as the ground was a bit bumpy.  It was in parts. I was glad for that info, took extra care and had no problem.The Portici House was burned down, not due to the Civil War but later I believe. It is sad and ironic that as pointed out in the history books, the original village of Portici in Italy, was destroyed because of Mount Vesuvius’ eruption, and now there is nothing left of the house here because it succumbed to flames. (At this link you can see the town in Italy, which is at the foot of Mount Vesuvius on the Bay of Naples.)

I also tried to find the reason this house was named after the original but could find none.  Below is its location in Italy on a map I found online.  

Perhaps one of the owners visited that country? Who knows, it looks like we will never know. If you want to learn more about the history of the house, there was an article written by the Washington Post newspaper, which you can find at this link.

This is the Ball Family Cemetery.  It is surrounded by a sandstone wall, with no entrance, completely enclosed. It's the first time I have come across one with no entrance, so taking a close look at the headstones doesn't seem to be encouraged. The wall isn't very high so getting over it would be no problem, but we wouldn't do that. Sacred ground is sacred ground. Here you will find Spencer Ball (1762-1832), and his is the oldest marked burial in this small area. He was a very rich tobacco plantation owner who built the Portici House in 1820. It looks a bit sad and neglected. I'm hoping when we return next year it will look better. The wall was erected in the 1930s. We only saw the back of the markers as this is where we met Pepper's owner who was shouting for her to come back. We were distracted for a while and forgot all about checking the other side, which we will do next time. There is much history in those old grave stones.
I was intrigued by the small log cabin, which wasn't too far from where we parked our car. It looked old but I later learned that it was a reproduction constructed by the National Park Service. You can also see it in my second photo at the beginning, and read the story at the park's official website here.  There you will be able to look at an old photo of many of these huts which were built to house confederate soldiers in the winter months.  
It doesn't explain what the barrel was for and I didn't see anything similar in the old photo on the website. The barrel was placed at the peak and perhaps collected rainwater? I am hoping a visiting history buff will have an answer.
I enjoyed the walk and I enjoyed taking the photos.  It was going to be dark soon and we felt it was time to return to the car.
We found a pebbly path which allowed a more straightforward and faster route than if we had backtracked. It was getting colder by the minute.  Gregg headed off at a fast pace so that he could turn on the engine, and the heater...
while I took more photos of leaves...
more leaves, and....
old stumps...
and gateposts...

and fallen branches that had been sawn and left on the side of the path for Mother Nature to take care of...

  and moonshots.  This is for you Ginny!  I'm still practicing.
I will leave you with one last photo of Pepper, because she was such a sweetie and I want to remember her.

Thanks for visiting and enjoy the rest of your week.





48 comments:

  1. So many nice photos. Here: you and pepper. And beautiful shots with the moon. I appreciate seeing this east coast Autumn. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Cloudia, and thank you :)

      Delete
  2. It's always good to find a new walk to add to those you already do. It looks like there's plenty there of interest and lots more to see on your next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is and I do look forward to the next time :)

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful (and photogenic) walk. Pepper is a cutie too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very and yes she is. You are very welcome Sue and thank you :)

      Delete
  4. These photographs are very moody and clean to view. Love the stories too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a nice description, so happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  5. Pepper is a sweetie, you look lovely in your photo too! Love the battlefield images and the gorgeous sky shots. Looks like a great place for your walk. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly was and thank you so much :) Not too often I put myself on here. There is such a large area, I am grateful to the powers that be that kept this area sacred, and available for such things.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful place to go for a walk. I would love to have places like that around here. Then again, even if I find them, it's difficult to get myself to go out and visit them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful and we are fortunate to be able to enjoy such places around here. Sometimes it's hard to get going I know :)

      Delete
  7. A lovely place to take a walk with your loved one :-) I love the sunset shot..really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to walk, can't go quite as far as I used to but I do enjoy getting out in the fresh open air. Glad you enjoyed, thank you :)

      Delete
  8. You enjoyed the walk and I enjoyed the photos. Here we're experiencing frosty mornings, but we're thankful for the sun which should melt the icy pavements and roads. It's very cold here in Yorkshire, England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, thank you Linda :) We haven't had too many frosty mornings yet, so I know they are around the corner. Take good care of yourself on those chilly mornings and icy pavements.

      Delete
  9. i enjoyed my walk in this wonderful, oh so beautiful historical park. I want that log house in my back yard for my she-shed, with wifi. ha ha.. what a great place to walk, but i think i would need more than your scarf and sweater. like a big winter coat. freezing yesterday and today walking in 49 degrees here. but today we shoot up to 78 and the next 7 days back to my favorite temps. mid 60's at wake up, mid 70's for a high and bright sunshine. you would love to walk our preserves here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! :) That log house would make a great she-shed - but with wifi - says I with a chuckle. I thought I had my coat on the back seat of the car, that's the only reason I am not wearing one. It was still in the closet on a hanger turned out. I didn't feel so bad though but was glad for the scarf and cardigan. That's amazingly low for Florida isn't it? Glad the warmer weather is returning for you. I know I would love your preserves. I remember the few I went on when we were on vacation in Florida. Beautiful walks!

      Delete
  10. What a glorious walk, Denise. And how lovely you look in the photo … so cute with Gregg in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet of you to say Penelope. I don't usually put myself on here but people have been very kind when I do.

      Delete
  11. Lovely images! The barrel is a chimney. I just saw a post from Prince William County saying they are about to construct a similar hut at Bristoe Station Battlefield. I guess it will replace the one that burnt down, which was an Eagle Scout project. (https://webcroft.blogspot.com/2023/09/camp-jones-at-bristoe-station.html)
    These huts provided shelter at winter camps. I’ve seen them in several places, never original, of course.

    I toured Portici many years ago when archaeologists were excavating there. Ha, I just had a flashback to the car I was driving. It wouldn’t start if it got hot, but fortunately I was able to leave it parked long enough for the fuel pump to cool down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how grateful I am for that information on the chimney. Thanks Linda! I wonder how far Bristoe Station Battlefield is from us? I will have to put it on the list. Thanks also for the great link. We're always very interesting in these places of history. That would be fascinating to see the archeology dig. Your car made me smile, it reminds me how my old mini used to chug-chug-chug up every blessed hill :)

      Delete
  12. Great place to walk and take in some interesting history. Funny that you missed this area for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red, yes we were very surprised at that :)

      Delete
  13. First of all, it's lovely to see your face and I'm glad you shared this wonderful photo. This looks like a marvelously historic place. I've never visited any of the Civil War battlefields but when I see how beautifully they are done, I am always impressed. And by the way, Pepper is a cutie -- and that's a great name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeanie, I really appreciate that, and yes Pepper was a real cutie, agree about her name. It is a wonderful place and one can become very reflective thinking about what went on here. It really is hard to wrap one's head around it when one knows about the history. I'm glad they did such a great job of preserving these places for us and our future generations.

      Delete
  14. So very cool! I love old places like that, they fill your imagination with mystery and wonder. I love that old barrel, I am sure it had to be used as a water cache to feed into the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :) Linda let us know that that old barrel was actually used as a chimney. That old quote of 'necessity is the mother of invention' comes to mind.

      Delete
  15. I love all the pictures, photos and quotes you put on your blog, Denise.
    You certainly have a lovely variety of birds come to your feeders as well as the squirrels.
    Interesting to hear about your trip to the National Battlefield Park and Portici House.
    Lovely to meet Pepper as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy my posts with my backyard friends, and seeing the battlefield and Pepper :) thank you!

      Delete
  16. Beautiful shot of you. It's rare to see your picture, so I appreciated it. I never tire of seeing the moon. And what a sweet dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, you are very good at putting photos of you and the family on your blog. I always enjoy them and I'm glad you enjoyed mine. I never tire of seeing the moon either, always looking up to see it, that and the clouds, and of course any dog that travels the same path :)

      Delete
  17. this looks like a lovely place to take a walk. your pictures are really pretty and represent the area well!! we notice everything and photograph everything, don't we?!?! i am not a person who enjoys graveyards like many of you do. i may try a walk through one again and see how i do!! i liked the picture of the little hut, so creatively built!!

    nice captures of the moon, it was full here a few nights ago. we all look at the same moon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie :) I have the same feeling when I go over to Arlington National Cemetery, but these old graveyards seem to draw me in somehow. Yes, that's a very creatively built hut. Isn't that a lovely thought? We all look at the same moon no matter how far away we are from our family and friends?

      Delete
  18. How nice to find a new spot for what looks to be a very serene walk. Your photos are wonderful with the old fences, the log cabin, and the beautiful sunset and moonrise. The photo with the log cabin and the moon should be a postcard--beautiful! I love the photo of you, Denise. Such a pretty color you are wearing! Have a warm, cozy evening, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, these places are very serene as you say, a perfect place for a walk. Thank you for your very sweet comment about my photo. It is my favorite color. You have a warm and cozy evening too my friend, it certainly is a chilly one today :)

      Delete
  19. How lovely to see these photo. Thank you for taking us on the walk to see some of the things you saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you enjoyed them Margaret :) and that you enjoyed the walk. I am looking forward to going back some time.

      Delete
  20. I enjoyed your new walk too. Full of interesting sights amd Pepper. I don't think I would like the cold. I'm cold at the moment because I am sitting in my airconditioned office. It is 33°C/91.4°F outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Diane :) I don't think you would like the walk at all, not with the lovely all-year-round temperatures you get. I'm a bit shivery at the moment, time for a cup of tea :)

      Delete
  21. I very much enjoyed taking this walk with you and meeting lovely Pepper..
    The pictures are great. Lots of nice moon shots too, and yes, I did see the plane in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy Sandra :) Thank you so much.

      Delete
  22. What a wonderful walk, Denise, and glad the weather cooperated aside from being brisk. It was nice to see the great scenics, including that moon shot, and to read about the history a bit. We always enjoy learning about a place we've visited and that usually happens after we've been there. And, especially enjoyed seeing your face too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, these places are always very interesting and such nice walks :) Thank you Dorothy, I don’t get on here too often as you know :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!