Thursday, November 9, 2023

I MEANT TO DO MY WORK TODAY…



“I meant to do my work today,

But a brown bird sang in the apple tree, 

And a butterfly flitted across the field, 

And all the leaves were calling me…

So what could I do but laugh and go?”


~Richard Le Gallienne~





Richard Le Gallienne (20 January 1866 – 15 September 1947) was an English author and poet. The British-American actress Eva Le Gallienne (1899–1991) was his daughter by his second marriage to a Danish journalist, Julie Nørregaard (1863–1942).  Richard Thomas Gallienne was born in West Derby, Liverpool, England, the eldest son of Jean (John) Gallienne (1843-1929], manager of the Birkenhead Brewery, and his wife Jane (1839-1910), née Smith.  He attended the (then) all boys public school, Liverpool College.  After leaving school he changed his name to Le Gallienne and started working in an accountant’s office in London.  In 1883 his father took him to a lecture by Oscar Wilde in Birkenhead.  He soon abandoned his job and became a professional writer, with ambitions of being a poet.  His book, “My Ladies’ Sonnets”, appeared in 1887, and in 1889 he became, for a brief time, literary secretary to Wilson Barrett, who was an English manager, actor and playwright.  You can find more information if you click on his name below the poem.



 

42 comments:

  1. You just have to go when the leaves start calling you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely join the party and enjoy the life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely distractions in this beautiful season of autumn! Here's to being a least a little bit productive today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so and I suppose I ought to do a little bit of work today :)

      Delete
  4. Of course I love it! You are the master of choosing poems, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say the sweetest things, thank you Ginny :)

      Delete
  5. I meant to write a blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that made me smile, thank you Red and I hope you had fun :)

      Delete
  6. Your photo is a perfect match for the words in this wistful lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you think so Penelope, thank you :)

      Delete
  7. A great idea. Thanks for the info . Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Diane, cheers to you also :)

      Delete
  8. The poetry is so good to read. The image is serene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, Denise! The leaves called my grandson and I today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I'm happy you and your grandson answered :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely words and picture.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  11. I'm not familiar with Richard Le Gallienne but totally understood the mood of the poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely understand that mood, you’re right. Thanks Carol :)

      Delete
  12. This is lovely. I guess we should all learn to take a break and just go out and smell the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good reminder to do just that. Thank you Kay!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Smiling here and I can also relate :) Thanks Jeanie :)

      Delete
  14. Oh, this poem is delightful, Denise. Sometimes we just have to stop and gaze at the birds around us. I chuckled the other day, as I saw a group of California Quail on the street when I was driving home. They are ground birds, and they make me laugh with that cluster of feathers on top of their head. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Sheri :) I couldn't agree with you more. I loved seeing the quail when we were in California. Such a fun bird, I hope to see them again one day.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!