Tuesday, November 14, 2023

A FEW FLOWERS TODAY

 These photos were left over from our trip to Green Spring Gardens in October.  I remember being very pleasantly surprised that there were many still in bloom.  There were a lot of bees enjoying them also.

This one looked past its showy self but the bee didn't seem to mind.

The leaves are gone on this Royal Lily, but the remaining pods are very interesting.  I have never noticed them in this stage before.  Other names are Regal Lily, King's Lily, Christmas Lily and Trumpet Lily, with a botanical name Lilium regale.  It is a perennial plant known for its fragrant and large white trumpet flowers.  A prolific bloomer, it can produce up to 25 blossoms per stem.  


The next plant has always interested me.  It is a Crimson pitcherplant, also known as Purple trumpet-leaf and White pitcherplant to name two.  Its botanical name is Sarracenia leucophylla.


It is a carnivorous plant that feeds mostly on insects. It blooms in spring with nodding red flowers and tall pitcher-shaped leaves. Native to coastal Florida and Alabama, and commonly found growing in moist and low-nutrient pine savannas but can be grown in a container or bog garden.  


The bushes were full of bright red berries, and called Winterberry and has a lot of other names.  Some are Winterberry holly, Feverbark, Swamp winterberry, Virginia Winterberry, False Alder and Black Alder to name a few.  Its botanical name is Ilex verticillata, and is commonly grown in eastern gardens of the United States.


Next is the Zinnia, also known as Common zinnia, Elegant zinnia, Youth-and-Old Age and Wild Zinnia to name a few.  Its botanical name is Zinnia elegans.  The genus name Zinnia is also often used as its common name.  In fact, the name Zinnia is given to the plant in memory of the German botanist, Johann Gottfried Zinn.  


Next is the Globe amaranth, and other common names are Devil's clover, Red globe everlasting, Makhamali, Vadamalli, St. Francis' cord, Batchelor button and Thousand day red, to name a few. Botanical name Gomphrena globosa.  According to my plant app it is an edible flowering plant native to South America, and attracts insects including butterflies and bees.  


The bees were very active on this Blue anise sage.  Other names for the flower are Anise-scented sage, Salvia and Brazilian sage.  Botanical name Salvia guarantica.  


It is a flowering perennial that attracts bees, hummingbirds, butterflies and resists deer. Very common in gardens and easy to grow.


The bees drew my attention to this plant first.  All the other bees were busy flying from flower to flower, this one was very still. 


When I arrived, it was on its own and appeared to be asleep, remaining motionless even with all the activity around it for several minutes, and who knows how long before. The smaller bee eventually landed, and much to my surprise it was almost like it was harassing the bee. 


The smaller bee seemed to be trying to wake up the larger bee. Eventually it woke up and the smaller bee left. It would be interesting to talk to an expert.


I have other photos to share but will leave them for a while.


This sweet little flower was walking around the green with its human.  Hard to see the expression on Sweetie's face but they both seemed to be enjoying the exercise.


Thanks for stopping by 
and I hope your day is a great one!




36 comments:

  1. Blooming beautiful. I particularly like the Pitcher Plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, they are an extraordinary plant, like something you might see in a prehistoric garden :)

      Delete
  2. We have just got to have bees, the flowers are wonderful to see..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many pretty flowers. That crimson pitcherplant is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see so many, and I agree, the pitcherplant is fascinating :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers, I love the Zinnias. Cute doggie. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i saw a dog like this one in walmart a few years ago. your bee photos are perfect and oh so beautiful. the only pitcher plants i have seen are in Selby Gardens, they are beautiful to me, but i got comments from some who said they were ugly and they did no tlike that they trap theire food. I don't agree. we humans trap and kill cows for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a pretty dog, but then I saw that for all our canine friends :)

      Delete
  6. You got some great pictures of the bees on those plants! Of all of the plants, I think the pitcher plant was my favorite, so unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with the photos and all taken with photos from my iPhone. I wasn't even that close, just cropped closer :) I liked that pitcher plant too, definitely a favorite.

      Delete
  7. You certainly captured some wonderful close-ups of both the blooms and the bees, Denise. We did give your regards to London-town on our recent trip. I had a cuppa and scone complete with jam and clotted cream 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy :) much appreciated and oh you made me envious! I love a good cuppa and a scone with cream and jam. Just perfect for me :) I have a scone recipe I want to try. Not exactly traditional but it sounds so good to me.

      Delete
  8. They seem to be different species of bees. The larger one being either a Carpenter or Bumble. So interesting! Maybe the flowers were pretty so late in the year was because of the unusually warm period we have been having. Did you get close and use macros on these bees? Or maybe zoom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were three kinds. I believe the carpenter is bigger than the bumble but need a refresher course. The little honey bee was the rascal trying to wake up the larger one :) The flowers could be due to the warmer spell we have been having. I took these with my iPhone, not so close really but I did crop which makes it look so.

      Delete
  9. lovely images of the flowers and bees. they look so cute nestled inside the royal lily!! that is one adorable dog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! They are cute little bees and yes, I agree about the dog :)

      Delete
  10. Very lovely photos, Denise! The bees wings on your photos captured my attention--such wonderful detail. So interesting to see the small bee and large bee--wonder what that was all about? It's nice to see all the pretty florals. The heavy freeze we experienced has cancelled all of our blooms for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen :) Yes, I'm still wondering about that interaction. I always look forward to next growing season. Always sad to see the flowers go after a frost.

      Delete
  11. The pitcherplant really is an interesting bloom. Love it. Hope you are having a lovely Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I have always enjoyed it on our trips to this garden. Thank you Ellen, we had a lovely Tuesday. And I hope your week so far is the same :)

      Delete
  12. Great post. I should get at least one credit towards my science degree form this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very kind and I am smiling. Thank you Red :)

      Delete
  13. That orange is so brilliant and especially beautiful. Wonderful photos all! And I do love that sweet dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, so glad you enjoyed them. Yes, I agree, he is a sweet dog and I loved him too :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful close-ups of the flowers, Denise. And I think they look every prettier with those bees buzzing around them. Although, I'm allergic to bees, so I try to keep my distance. I'm familiar with the zinnia, which is such a unique and pretty flower.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri but oh my goodness, not so good to be allergic to bees. I don't blame you for keeping your distance. The zinnia is unique and beautiful, very true.

      Delete
  15. That pitcher plant is startling in its uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda, they have always fascinated me :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!