Monday, November 13, 2023

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE - PORK POT ROAST COOKED ON THE STOVE TOP - SERVES 6

Today's recipe came from a food blog called Cook2EatWell, hosted by Elizabeth.  The original recipe can be found here.  I always recommend looking at the original recipe, in case I have missed anything out. She adds a lot of tips (several I have included below but I am sure there are more), and I always enjoy their photos.  The finished result we were very happy with, and it was so tasty!  


Pork Pot Roast (cooked on the stove top)

Serves: 6

Approximate calories per serving: 591


Elizabeth's equipment she used:

Large, Heavy Pot - 7-quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven

Kitchen twine - to tie the roast for even cooking

Aluminum foil - to loosely cover the pork after browning.


Cooking time: 3 hrs. 30 mins (see my notes at the bottom).


4-5 pound Boneless Pork Shoulder picnic or pork butt

2 teaspoons Salt

½ teaspoon Black Pepper

3 tablespoons Olive Oil

1 Medium Onion finely diced

1 Celery Rib Diced

3-4 Garlic Cloves minced

1 tablespoon Tomato Paste

½ cup White Wine

2-3 cups Chicken Broth enough to cover ¼ of the roast

3-4 Thyme Sprigs

1 Rosemary Sprig

1 Bay Leaf

2-3 Carrots cut into ½ inch rounds (about 1 – 1½ cups)

1 pound Small Red Potatoes keep whole, do not cut


Tie the roast with kitchen twine to hold it together and to ensure even cooking. Season the pork with the salt and pepper.

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the pork shoulder.

Cook for approximately 3 minutes, or until browned. The meat will release from the pot when a crust forms on the outside. If it is hard lift and is sticking to the pot, give it another minute or so.

Turn the pork a quarter turn and cook 3 minutes to brown the side. Repeat with the remaining two sides until the entire piece is browned.

Take the pot off the heat. Remove the pork roast from the pot and place on a pan or a large platter. Loosely cover with aluminum foil.

Do not wash the pot. Place it back over medium heat. Add the onions and the celery. Cook the vegetables for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.

Next, add the garlic and tomato paste to the pot. Stir well and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.

Add the white wine to the pot and stir while gently scrapping any bits off the bottom of the pot. Continue cooking until most of the wine has cooked out, about 1-2 minutes.

Return the pork roast to the pot, along with any juices collected on the pan. Add enough chicken broth to go ¼ way up the thickest part of the roast.

Next, arrange the potatoes, carrots, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf around the roast.

Raise the heat to medium-high and let the broth to come to a simmer. Then, lower the heat to medium-low and cover the pot.

Cook for approximately 3 hours or until it is tender. It should give and tear easily when a fork is inserted and twisted.

During the cooking time keep the liquid at a simmer. If it’s boiling too vigorously, lower the heat a bit. If it’s not simmering, raise it. Check on it every ½ hour or so, especially after raising or lowering the heat.

Remove and discard the rosemary, thyme stems and the bay leaf. Serve the roast with the carrots and potatoes and a side of rice, a piece of crusty bread, Texas toast or your favorite side dish.


Elizabeth's Notes:

If you don’t drink wine or don’t have any on hand, use broth instead and follow the same instructions (this is what we did).

Make sure to use a pot that’s large enough to fit the roast and arrange the carrots and potatoes around it (we have a funny story about this below).

Tie the rosemary and thyme together with kitchen twine to make it easy to pick out the stems (we had no twine and didn't really have a problem removing the herbs, though I can see how it would help).

Full nutritional information can be found on the website.


A good tip from Elizabeth is to choose small red potatoes to avoid cutting them in half or quarters.  (I am all for cutting down on steps when cooking.)   Also, with the long cooking time the whole potatoes will hold their shape best (We couldn't find the small potatoes and cut ours into large-ish chunks).

Her other tips I am including are If you do not have fresh herbs, you can substitute dry herbs but reduce the amount. Use about ½ teaspoon of each.

If you do not use wine, deglaze the pot with chicken broth instead. Use the same amount and follow the same instructions.

You will have a well-rounded meal with the added potatoes and carrots, but Elizabeth also suggests serving it with a side of rice and crusty bread, a slice of Texas toast or your favorite side dish.  (The first time we just had it on its own.)

Store leftovers in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or freeze for 2 months.


What we thought:

It was delicious and we have lots of leftovers.  Here's the funny story which Gregg wanted me to include.  He enjoys giving people a smile too.  Also, maybe it will help newcomers to check the labels thoroughly before purchasing.

While it was cooking I mentioned that it was awfully big for a 2 lb. roast and he said he was sure on the size as he had checked the label thoroughly.  I was grateful he had done the shopping.  I got a call from him to say he could only find a 2-pounder. I said that would probably be better for us anyhow, size-wise, no problem.  

My brain doesn't do portion size very well, and even for me it looked too big for the size of the pot.  It was the biggest one in our cupboard.  He mentioned he wasn’t sure whether all the vegetables would fit, and I watched as he poked them around the edge and down the side to fit them in. Vegetable purée I was thinking.  It wasn’t easy! 

We often go back and forth when we are in the kitchen. I am the corner-to-corner person, he is the adventurer, I have to measure everything, he throws it all in, which works great as he has given us some excellent culinary results with his seat-of-the-pants cooking style.  Gordon Ramsey would be impressed.  But, pain that I am, I again said that looks REALLY big.  He was emphatic that it weighed 2.15 lbs. when he purchased it.  Okay, I won’t say any more.  However!

I couldn't stop thinking about the size.  In the middle of the cooking time, me, "Do we still have the wrapping?"  I can’t stop myself, I was curious.  I really wanted to check the weight as the meat seemed to be taking a lot longer than the recipe called for. 

I think Gregg was wondering himself now as he said, “Okay, I’ll check.” and went back into the kitchen to look for the wrapping in the trash. There was silence and then I heard him having a chuckle. More silence and when he came back he had a big smile on his face. It wasn't the weight he had looked at.  It was actually the price per pound, which was $2.15, so the number he looked at while in the store was the price per pound and not the weight. Turns out the weight was actually 8 lbs! 

We had a good laugh and I hope our story gave you a smile.  I am so glad my portion-size scrambled brain was not so portion-size scrambled this time!  

And, we have a lot of leftovers! 

As for the cooking time, it took forever to cook this roast. "Surely it should be done by now?” to which Gregg replied, "It's 8 lbs!  It's going to take a while."   I think it took well over an hour longer to cook, maybe more as we were supposed to keep it on slow.  You should be okay if you follow the exact weight measurements, and not have the problem we did.  Check your packaging thoroughly would be my advice.

The first meal we ate was incredibly tasty.  But there is a lot of fat.  After one night in the fridge, a layer had solidified on top.  I got a large spoon and scooped it off.  It still had an excellent taste and we also added a very nice crusty roll that second night.

If I haven’t mentioned it before, the broth/gravy is excellent!

Next time I will buy a more leaner cut but final result? It was a delicious meal.  On a chilly day, comfort food at its best.


I try to remember to add the full address of the website, in case you prefer to copy and paste instead of using the link above this page:

https://www.cook2eatwell.com/pork-pot-roast/





30 comments:

  1. That is funny! I have also mistaken the price for the weight. But I stopped myself before I left the store. It looks so comforting!! By the way, did you know that Gordon Ramsay now has T.V. dinners? They are part of a famous chef series, and exclusive to Wal-Mart. In the past, he has said he hates them, but now he is selling his own. We bought three kinds, and have tried the fish and chips so far. It is O.K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to laugh at ourselves Ginny and not take ourselves too seriously. This certainly applies to Gregg and myself. These mistakes easily happen but it was 'getting there' which we laughed about the most. I didn't know about the frozen Ramsay dinners. We'll have to get one and try it. Next time we're in Walmart we will definitely have a look-see. Thanks for the info :)

      Delete
  2. I am blown away by the price. Our pork is at the moment $24 a kilo (2.2 pounds), which would make a an 8lb piece over $85..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! Our pork is very cheap over here, so true. Out of curiosity, after I told Gregg, he looked up prices of pork around the world. It was very interesting the differences.

      Delete
  3. looks yumm and I am wondering why I never thought about usig pork in soup. i assume because mother always used beef. thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Sandra :) The only time my mother ever cooked pork was as a roast, and then leftovers for sandwiches the next day. I have used ground pork in stir-fry's, so I thought if I chopped up a portion after thawing it out, I could use it in our next stir-fry.

      Delete
  4. That is too funny about the weight. I can see how it could easily happen though. I don't know that I have ever seen an 8lb pork roast in any of the stores around here. That must have been huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, it gave us a chuckle and the same to our son when he told him later that day. Yes, it was huge! :)

      Delete
  5. The pot roast looks and sounds delicious! Funny story! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, it certainly was, and special because of the funny story attached, lol! You take care and have a wonderful week too :)

      Delete
  6. I love that story :) And it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, glad you enjoyed the story and yes, it was very tasty :)

      Delete
  7. That looks so yum and warming...perfect for our rainy weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, it certainly is a great meal for a rainy day :)

      Delete
  8. Pork here is very cheap and the recipe sounds great, but I would be inclined to put it all in the slow cooker and forget about for several hours. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, the slow cooker would be a great way to go. You take care also :)

      Delete
  9. I'm having a real good chuckle here. From 2#s to 8#s is quite the difference. Hilarious. No wonder you have a lot of leftovers! Looks like a delicious result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy it gave you a chuckle Ellen, yes, that's quite a difference but it did make a very tasty dish. And now for the leftovers ;)

      Delete
  10. That's cute story, Denise! Grayden and I both had a chuckle. Sounds like something I would do. Your results look delicious and certainly would be nice on a cold day like we're having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy our story gave you and Grayden a chuckle Martha Ellen. We are still laughing about it. The fridge door will open and I'll hear, "Yep, we've still got pork leftovers :) I hope you are getting the sunshine we are today. The windows are open and the weather is perfect.

      Delete
  11. That is a hoot! I don't remember the last time I did a roast. You did well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, we had a lot of hoots over this one :))) Thank you so much!

      Delete
  12. Great story - you had dinner for days!! This recipe is the definition of a cozy fall meal...and something my husband would love! Thanks for sharing....happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer and you are very welcome :) We certainly did and do have lots of leftovers. In the freezer now and ready to bring out in portions.

      Delete
  13. There is nothing like a pot roast. I've usually made it with beef, but the pork sounds so much better. It's a perfect meal for these cold days that are coming up. You are such a good cook, my friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? Thank you Sheri :) and thank you also for the compliment. It's so very nice to have you as a friend.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!