Wednesday, March 31, 2021

THE LEWIS GINTER BOTANICAL GARDEN, A VISIT IN JULY 2009

This post took place years ago, when Gregg and I went on a mini-road trip to The Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in Richmond (Virginia). If you went the straightforward route it would take you about two hours to get there but this was summer, and the freeways were very congested with holidaymakers heading down to the beaches. Even when it's not summer we enjoy traveling the smaller, country roads which take us through rural farmland. It is a beautiful ride but takes us longer to get to our destination, and with a stop for breakfast at Amy’s Cafe we reached the gardens in about three hours.

It was our first time here and we were not disappointed. We both agreed that it is the best botanical garden we have visited in a long time, and if ever you are in the area we can highly recommend it. At any time of the year I am sure it will be pretty amazing and we have put it on our list for seasonal visits.  I have it in mind to go back and see their light show around the holidays. We said that we might stay overnight at one of the local hotels next time as we would have liked to have gone back the next day.

I have identified flowers where I can. I tried very hard to remember to look for markers. This is a Purple Passion Flower.

This is a type of Moss Rose.



This is a Stokes' Aster 
Stokesia laevis 'Omega Skyrocket' - Asteraceae.

Spathiphyllum cv - Araceae.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we can get back to 



28 comments:

  1. We live about 1 1/2 hours from Louis ginter, and have been there several times. You shpuld go at Christmas time to thwir festival of lights; they work on it all year and it is spectacular. Your first picture is so sunny and cheerful! My next favorite is the Moss Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you've enjoyed this beautiful garden Ginny. I would love to see it at Christmas time :) Thank you, I love that Moss Rose also.

      Delete
  2. Botanical Gardens are ALWAYS a treat and that looks like a beauty. I hope you can return. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Denise,
    I love these photos from your visit to the Lewis Ginter gardens. The flowers are all beautiful, it is hard to pick a favorite. I love them all. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we were just talking about our purple passion flower that covered our yard, they take over and for years it was every where. now there is not one left. we don't know what happened to it. butterflies love there stinky flowers. have yoy ever smelled them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra :). That’s interesting about the smell. I did not know that.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful flowers, my favorite is the purple passion flower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful places to visit. Hopefully, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We enjoy Botannical Gardens and this looks like a lovely one. Should be a fairly safe visit by the Holidays... at least I fervently hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The purple passion flower is so different from anything I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree William, it always looked so tropical to me :)

      Delete
  9. Lewis-Ginter is wonderful, isn't it? I enjoyed seeing your photos, Denise. Our neighbor's granddaughter is one of the gardeners there. In my younger days that would have been a dream job for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Martha and it is indeed :) How very interesting about your neighbor’s granddaughter. My dream job too.

      Delete
  10. I'm so looking forward to visiting a botanical garden as the days get warmer and we can travel beyond our local area. Your wonderful photos remind us of the beautiful flowers in such places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Linda! The weather should be warm enough soon, and I do hope you will be able to travel out of your area soon :)

      Delete
  11. All lovely flower images, Denise, but as I am a huge fan of purple, the Purple Passion bloom was my favorite in this group. Hope you do get a change to return to the botanical garden and an overnight stay is always the best way to have more time to see so much more. Sending our best wishes to you and Gregg for a Happy 🐰Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, so glad you had a lovely Easter. Yes, one day soon, but we have also been able to visit our first garden, with masks on and shots done :)

      Delete
  12. Such pretty blooms. Hope you'll be able to visit again before too long.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!