Monday, March 8, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - GROUND BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP

I wanted to share another soup recipe.  I have a long list of them in our soup folder as we make them regularly during the colder weather especially, and I like to keep a record of them on my blog.  

We put this together on Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021.  It is a combination of two recipes, found when I was looking at All Recipes here and the other when visiting Carol's blog at Comfort Spring.  It had the addition of beef broth and cabbage,  and we enjoy adding cabbage to a lot of our meals.  I ended up adding, and substituting some ingredients for what I had available and the following is the recipe I followed.  The originals of both can be seen at the links provided.   Thank you to both sites that shared this soup, particularly a big thank you to Carol who really swayed my decision to making a delicious meal that we both felt was a ten out of ten.  Carol's soup is vegetarian though she gives options for adding chicken along with a couple of other ingredients at the end of her recipe.


Ground Beef Vegetable Soup – serves 6


1 pounds ground beef

4 to 6 carrots, sliced

4 celery ribs, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

A small green cabbage or half of a large one, roughly chopped

4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

8 large-ish mushrooms, sliced

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed (I also added in a smaller can of diced tomatoes.  We always enjoy the extra tomatoes)

1 (15 ounce) can peas, undrained 

1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed, or 1 (15 ounce) can of cream-style, which is what I had in my pantry

1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed (we used unsalted)

2 large cartons (4 cups each) beef broth, or you can use vegetable broth

1 tablespoon brown sugar

Ground black pepper to taste

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 bay leaf, or more to taste


Put ground beef into a stockpot over medium-high heat, break up meat and cook until it is no longer pink.  This should take about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.

Stir your vegetables into the ground beef.  Cook and stir  for about 5 minutes.

Stir mixture until evenly mixed. 

Add thyme and bay leaf to the pot.  Also add the tablespoon of brown sugar.  I was told once that it cuts down the acidity of the tomatoes.

Pour in the broth and stir again.

Bring the soup to a simmer, place a cover on the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.

We served ours with a few leaves of cilantro and sour cream on the top, with freshly ground black pepper.


I'm sure you have your own favorite soup recipe.  We were very happy with this one.  The broth alone 
was outstanding and got even better the day after, as often happens.

You can change these veggies around to suit your own taste. 

This would be easily made into a vegan-vegetarian recipe.

We ended up with a large pot of soup with lots of leftovers, some which we will freeze.

We didn't use any salt in the cooking process, so you might want to add your own to taste. 

Both of us gave this a 10 out of 10. 



 

36 comments:

  1. Soup is a really versatile meal isn't it? You can (and we do) amend it depending on personal tastes and on what is in the fridge/cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That sound fabulous and so much in it. Looks like a main course main to me. Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I make a lot of hardy soups that make a meal in itself.

      Delete
  3. It looks wonderful! We like soup all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, so happy you enjoyed the look of this soup :)

      Delete
  4. This look fantastic Denise, nice job and thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today there is no lack of reasons to smile and every moment is an opportunity to experience the best sensations in the world. May this day be the stage of the greatest adventures and in the end our hearts are filled with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We generally don't eat soup in hot Hawaii, but this looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

  7. I really like soups, I will try to cook a soup similar to this one. Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucyna, and you are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  8. oh yum, will be doing my version of this one. we love cabbage and I have never put it in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds so good with wonderful ingredients, i like the addition of sour cream at the end. i have seen that some people add a bag of cole slaw mix to soup. you would have to chop it up a little but it would certainly be an easy addition and make things go a little quicker!! especially if you like cabbage as you said you do!!

    it's still soup weather around here, but it is suppose to warm up this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, that's a great idea to get the bag of cole slaw. I will try that next time :)

      Delete
  10. Never used ground beef in a soup interesting recipe thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine. I haven't used ground beef in soup a lot either

      Delete
  11. I'm a fan of soup. I don't think I've met a soup I haven't liked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, yumm. We’ve been enjoying soup often this winter season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds good, I almost always make vegetable soup in various ways as we have so much from the garden But this may just tempt me. Thanks and keep safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane and you are very welcome. I also have tried different kinds of vegetable soups depending what I have on hand. This one was a definite keeper. You keep safe also :)

      Delete
  14. What would we do without soup in the winter? Your recipe looks great, Denise. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Martha Ellen :) Thank you, glad you like the look of it and you have a happy weekend too.

      Delete
  15. A nice filling and comforting soup, perfect for cooler days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. I am happy you liked the look of it William. Thank you :)

      Delete
  17. Now all you needed with this bowl of soup was some fresh baked bread, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would have been nice but it was so hardy we felt we could do without today. Maybe next time :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!