Thursday, March 18, 2021

TO A WATERFOWL - ANOTHER POEM BY...

William Cullen Bryant 

1794-1878 


"To a Waterfowl"

Whither, 'midst falling dew,

While glow the heavens with the last

steps of day,

Far, through their rosy depths, dost

thou pursue

Thy solitary way.

Vainly the fowler's eye

Might mark the distant flight to do 

thee wrong,

As, darkly painted on the crimson sky,

Thy figure floats along.

Seeks thou the splashy brink

Of weedy lake, or marge of river wide,

Or where the rocking billows rise

and sink

On the chafed oceanside?

There is a power whose care

Teaches thy way along that pathless coast,

The desert and illimitable air,

Lone wandering, but not lost.

All day thy wings have fanned,

At that far height, the cold thin

atmosphere,

Yet stoop not, weary, to the welcome 

land,

Though the dark night is near.

And soon that toil shall end;

Soon shalt thou find a summer home,

and rest,

And scream amongst thy fellows; reeds shall bend

Soon, o'er thy sheltered nest.

Thou'rt gone, the abyss of heaven

Hath swallowed up thy form; yet, on my 

heart,

Deeply hath sunk the lesson thou hast given,

And shall not soon depart.

He who, from zone to zone, 

Guides through the boundless sky thy

certain flight,

In the long way that I must tread alone,

Will lead my steps aright.


And that's the end of my post.  I wish you all a great day, and thank you so much for stopping by.



32 comments:

  1. Wow, he did have a way with words! My favs are the third from last, and the one with the lily pads. Wonderful photos, we love ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly did. Thanks Ginny, I love ducks too :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely - and you illustrated it with beautiful images. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem and brilliant shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Love the poem and the beautiful duck photos, the duckling is adorable. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. around here today, it is a good day to be a duck!! this is so sweet and your images are great!!

    the babies are so tiny and the merganser, ya' gotta love that hair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope today brings sunshine Debbie :) Thank you and yes I love that hair! Gives the phrase a bad hair day a new meaning.

      Delete
  6. Great poem. this poet must have experienced all of this many times in order to write such a descriptive poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing photos. I wonder if the white goose feels like it is in the wrong flock

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful illustration of this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful...beautiful photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words and lovely photos. Keep safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so good at illustrating poetry with your perfect pictures. I especially enjoyed this one, being a fan of waterfowl. . That one with the goose alone among all the different ducks could be the start of a whole story, don’t you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, I appreciate that. I believe so, a whole new story :)

      Delete
  12. Very nice pairing of words and photos, Denise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!