Monday, March 29, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BAKED FLOUNDER WITH PANKO AND PARMESAN

 

We have not had any flounder in a while and we thought it would make a nice change.  I found a simple but tasty recipe at All Recipes here.


Baked Flounder with Panko and Parmesan – serves 4

From preparation to table it took under half an hour.  Each serving works out to approximately 331 calories.


4 (4 ounces flounder fillets)

¼ cup butter, melted

2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 cup panko bread crumbs

½ teaspoon salt

Ground black pepper to taste

1 pinch dried thyme


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Lightly grease a large, shallow baking dish.

Arrange flounder fillets on prepared baking dish and brush with 1 tablespoon butter.

Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and thyme in a bowl; sprinkle over flounder.

Bake in preheated oven until fish flakes easily with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.

Carefully transfer fillets to a plate with a spatula.


The Panko-Parmesan coating was a very nice addition.  We thought it would also go well with a pork cutlet sometime.  

As there is just the two of us we had one fillet that we shared.  The recipe for the coating I made enough for another meal.  I put the second portion in the freezer as I intend making macaroni and cheese next week, and will use it to sprinkle over the top.

I'm sure you can replace the butter or use less if you want to.  We didn’t use as much. 

We had been for a walk that afternoon, were both a little tired and didn't want to fuss much with dinner.  A few boiled potatoes and Brussels sprouts were the only sides we had, plain and simple.  We put those on the stove top while the fish was cooking.  The potatoes were nice too and we had leftovers that we sautéed to go with breakfast the next day.

Gregg mixed a cocktail sauce, which is horseradish and ketchup mixed together.  He used that as a condiment, and I put a little Thai Chili Sauce on the side of mine. 

We both said how much we enjoy flounder but would like to try cod next time.

Thanks for looking and enjoy your week.



26 comments:

  1. Panko and parmesan go really, really well together don't they, and add to many dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to copy and make this. But I will now know to mix up half the topping. I didn't know how you make coctail sauce, this is neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ginny. Hubby's cocktail sauce is one his mother used to make for their seafood dishes when he was young :) Amounts to your own taste.

      Delete
  3. A lovely dinner. I love how versatile you are at using leftover ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, the older I get the more I remember the teachings of my parents. I believe it comes from living through WWII and like many, were on rations for many years, even long after the war. Those seeds were sown early so to speak, nothing went to waste :)

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I have tried a similar recipe, it does sound delicious. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds good, i love fish as long as it is filets with no bones. my dad love the bone filled fish he used to catch and i refused to eat them. I am off to research what panko is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think the same way Sandra! My mom used to buy cod steaks and the bones always put me off, much prefer filets :)

      Delete
  6. Delicious Denise, sounds like a perfect and nice healthy meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt that way Martha and we are trying very hard to eat healthy these days :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, it is really a delicious combination :)

      Delete
  8. this sounds so yummy...we don't eat fish often enough. i like both fishes and i like the way you prepared it!! that topping will go nicely on your mac and cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, we eat more and more fish these days. When I first came here the only fish I would eat was that used in fish and chips. Then I discovered grilled Rainbow Trout at a restaurant my in-laws took us too. After that it seemed a natural transition :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you found another good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's sounds simple and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I'm not one for fish, I'd pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought so William :) I will have a none-fish recipe next time.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!