Monday, March 22, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS IN RED WINE SAUCE

There were some beef short ribs in the freezer.  I don't remember ever cooking them but had always heard how good they were.  I did my usual search online and found a wonderful recipe at this site called Recipetineats hosted by Nagi.  I enjoyed her food blog very much.  I don't put all her tips in my post, so I always recommend you take a look at the original version, not only for those tips but to see other recipes and photos.  She gives other ways to cook this meal, in a slow cooker for instance, and there is a great how-to video.  I will be going back often as I will enjoy adding other meals to our list.  Thank you Nagi!   We made this for the first time on March 21st, 2021 and gave it a ten-out-of-ten.


Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce

Serves 5

Calories: 524 per serving


A lot of cooking time so I started early, first preparing all the ingredients in the morning which is a big time and energy saver.  (I am at my most productive in the a.m.)  The beef was put into the oven at 2.30 p.m. and meal was on the table at six.  I most always have hubs in the kitchen, and was happy to get everything ready before we started cooking the meal.  Normally he will do most of the meal prep while I read the recipe and pitch in with things like chopping the garlic and herbs at the kitchen table.  I have mentioned this before but since retirement he has become an excellent chef and enjoys being more of an adventurous cook than I.  Consequently we have a lot of fun in the kitchen.


5-6 beef short ribs 

1-1/2 teaspoons each salt and pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 garlic cloves, crushed

1 large onion, chopped (brown, yellow or white)

2 celery ribs, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cups very dry red wine

2 cups beef stock or broth, low sodium

2 sprigs thyme 

2 bay leaves

 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a large ovenproof pot over high heat.

Add half the ribs and brown thoroughly all over (5 - 7 min in total). They should have a nice carmelized crust on the surface.  Do this in one layer and cook in batches if you have to.  When each batch is done remove and put on a plate until you need them again  

Turn heat down to medium.

Add onion and garlic into the same pot and cook for 2 minutes.

Add carrot and celery, cook for 5 minutes until carrot is softened.

Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.

Add wine, broth, thyme and bay leaves.

Stir until tomato paste is dissolved.

Put beef back into the liquid.  They should be submerged but if not add a little water.  If there are pieces above the liquid, these will steam when cooking, so not to worry too much about this step.  Just so that most of the meat is submerged.

Cover with lid and transfer to oven for 3 hours, or until the meat can easily be pried apart with forks. 

Remove carefully from the oven and keep covered to stay warm until serving.   

In the recipe Nagi says to remove the beef and strain all liquid in the pot, pressing juices out of the onion, carrots, etc, but adds that this is optional.  We decided to skip this step and keep the vegetables.  

You may want to thin or thicken the liquid if necessary - simmer to reduce/thicken, add water to thin, also adjusting seasonings to your own taste. 

Place beef on serving plate, spoon sauce over.  

Serve and enjoy!

We both said we wouldn't change a thing with this meal.  It was delicious.  

Our beef short ribs didn't have any bones.  It is hard to tell if the flavor was affected because we thought this had an amazing taste without.

There was a lot of broth left.  I will freeze in 1 cup portions and use for any beef-based soups we make.

We served it with macaroni and cheese and a mixed green salad.  I like to add blueberries to my salad, along with a few walnut halves and dried chopped dates.  It was a Boston lettuce and we sliced mini sweet peppers and sliced mushrooms.  It all went together very nicely.  I don't add any dressing to my salads normally.  I think it comes from not having any salads in childhood.  We always had lots of other vegetables from my Dad's garden, but the only lettuce brought home was fed to our pet rabbits and my Dad, God Bless him, only considered salad as 'rabbit food'.  Little did I know how much I would enjoy salads later on in life.  Hubs enjoyed one of his favorites, blue cheese dressing.

Have a great week everyone.




36 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your recipes. This one looks kind of fancy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) We talked about making this meal for friends when we finally are able to invite people over again. All simple ingredients, even the wine was on the cheaper side, and on Nagi's post she even said it doesn't matter how inexpensive the wine is. We might also skip the macaroni and cheese next time and have a nice mixed green salad. It would have been more than enough.

      Delete
  2. My father viewed a lot of food which I now thoroughly enjoy as animal food. Pumpkin was one of those - and I don't remember having it until I left home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling here KC :) There were a lot of foods I hadn't tried until I came over here.

      Delete
  3. That does look good and it did take a long time to cook but I bet it was tender.
    Your salad sounds nice.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I was curious about the amount of time but they were so tender after the three hours.

      Delete
  4. Hello Denise,
    This looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe and the blog link.
    Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen and thank you, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. Even though I may not try this recipe, Denise, it certainly looks delicious. Your last comment about your dad’s opinion Bout lettuce did give me a chuckle this morning too😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, and glad this gave you a chuckle :)

      Delete
  6. bring on the mac and cheese... i rather have that than the beef, bob would love the beef and salad, i am The Carb Lover in this house... it all looks delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, it’s interesting what we all like :)

      Delete
  7. It sure looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing another great recipe. I love that you and your hubby cook together. When my hubs come in the kitchen he just gets in my way lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha and you are very welcome :) I am happy you like the look of this recipe. This kitchen partnership started with a request from hubs to make one Thai dish. There was a lot of prep work and as I was having trouble with my hands I asked for help. From there it all started.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, so happy you like the look of this recipe :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds absolutely divine, especially the salad. Thanks for mentioning adding blueberries and nuts to your lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Gigi, so glad you liked the look of it :)

      Delete
  10. Delicious! A wonderful week for you too;-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. We seldom eat beef these days. We were too spoilt with well hung meat in Africa and so tender. The beef in Europe is not nearly so good! Keep well. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Diane, and although we don't eat too much red meat, we are always very pleased with the cooking process. You keep well also :)

      Delete
  12. As our youngest grand-daughter may say!
    Yummy, yummy in your tummy :)

    Looks and sounds delicious, many thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the smile Jan, glad you enjoyed the look of this meal. You enjoy your week and all the best too :)

      Delete
  13. I haven't cooked short ribs in such a long time, Denise. This recipe looks delicious as does your entire meal. I had to laugh at your Dad's comment about lettuce as my Daddy always said the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like me Martha Ellen, I was very curious about this type of meat and was not disappointed :) I too smiled that your daddy and mine felt the same with salads. Those were the days :)

      Delete
  14. Yum...so glad to stop by here on a full stomach!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!