Monday, March 15, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - ROSEMARY, SAGE AND THYME SCENTED CHICKEN



Rosemary, Sage and Thyme Scented Chicken

An old recipe I made for the first time several years ago when hubs was getting back from a business trip to Kansas City one afternoon.  I wanted to have a wonderful aroma to greet him when he walked in the door and I decided on this recipe. Another I am not sure where it came from. I wasn’t very organized back then. I go surfing a lot on the Internet when I am looking for new ideas, and I came across this recipe in my collection again recently. The chicken overwhelmed the platter but it was the smallest chicken I could find on my last shopping trip, and I didn't have the time to look elsewhere. It took a little longer to cook but everything came out really well.  We had lots of leftovers which I love for extra, no-fuss meals. 


Rosemary, Sage and Thyme Scented Chicken

Preparation time 15 minutes 
Roasting Time 1-1/4 hours 
Makes 4 servings
Calories: 357 calories in 1 portion

2 oranges

3 to 4 lb (1.5 to 2 kg) whole roasting chicken

1 tsp (5 mL) butter

1 tsp (5 mL) each dried thyme leaves and sage leaves

1 tsp (5 mL) salt

3 medium-size potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold

2 red onions

1 lb (500 g) pkg peeled butternut squash pieces

1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil

1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried rosemary leaves

Preheat oven to 400F (200C). 

Slice oranges in half. Squeeze out about 1 cup (250 mL) juice. Don't discard orange peels. 

Rinse chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. Place in a roasting pan wide enough to hold chicken and vegetables around it. 

Stuff orange peels into cavity of chicken. 

Rub butter all over chicken, then sprinkle with thyme, sage and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. 

Roast, breast side up, in centre of preheated oven 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut unpeeled potatoes into quarters. 

Slice each onion into 6 wedges. 

Cut squash into bite-size chunks. 

Place potatoes, onions and squash in a large bowl. Add juice and oil. Sprinkle with rosemary and remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. Stir until evenly coated.

Once chicken has roasted 30 minutes, remove from oven. Baste with any pan juices. 

Tumble vegetables and marinade into pan around chicken and spread out. 

Return to oven. Roast, uncovered, until a meat thermometer inserted into thigh reads 170F (77C), 45 minutes to 1 hour. 

Stir vegetables halfway through cooking. 

If chicken skin browns too quickly, loosely cover chicken with foil. 

If pan juices start to burn, add a little water. 

After removing pan from oven, let stand 10 minutes before slicing chicken and serving with vegetables and pan juices.

Thank you for looking and have a great week. 








28 comments:

  1. Rosemary, sage and thyme are wonderful seasonings aren't they? The addition of orange is a brainwave too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are, couldn't agree more :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious.
    Looked up the name of that potato - so many people here in Australia don't know names of their potatoes often those who sell them in the supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know all the names of the potatoes except the ones that I cook with :) Thanks Margaret!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Obrigado e um abraço e uma boa semana para você também :)

      Delete
  4. i wish i liked to cook like you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have times when I enjoy cooking very much, and then there are times I need a break from it. It helps to have my sweet other half enjoying cooking these days. He is a lot more adventurous in the kitchen than I am and that makes it all the more fun for both of us.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure the aroma made your husband happy to open the door home! Your roasted chicken looks great and I'm sure tastes just as good with the accompanying veggies. Have you noticed how large chickens are these days? I find it a little disturbing, but I still add them to our shopping cart. Thank you for another great meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen and you are very welcome :) Yes I have noticed that about the chickens.

      Delete

  6. I love the roast chicken, this one looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so delicious.
    May I have some please :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the most amazing cook, Denise. Just looking at the photo of the chicken made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, I am a diligent recipe follower :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!