Wednesday, April 5, 2023

PEONES - A POEM

 I shared another post about the peonies I saw at Meadowlark Gardens here.  These are old photos, they aren't blooming just yet. 

This morning the green fists of the peonies are getting ready
to break my heart
as the sun rises,
as the sun strokes them with his old, buttery fingers

and they open —
pools of lace,
white and pink —
and all day the black ants climb over them,

boring their deep and mysterious holes
into the curls,
craving the sweet sap,
taking it away

to their dark, underground cities —
and all day
under the shifty wind,
as in a dance to the great wedding,


the flowers bend their bright bodies,
and tip their fragrance to the air,
and rise,
their red stems holding

all that dampness and recklessness
gladly and lightly,
and there it is again —
beauty the brave, the exemplary,

blazing open.
Do you love this world?
Do you cherish your humble and silky life?
Do you adore the green grass, with its terror beneath?

Do you also hurry, half-dressed and barefoot, into the garden,
and softly,
and exclaiming of their dearness,
fill your arms with the white and pink flowers,

with their honeyed heaviness, their lush trembling,
their eagerness
to be wild and perfect for a moment, before they are
nothing, forever?


Peonies
by
Mary Oliver





30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A nice compliment roentare, thank you. I do enjoy poetry and love the poetry written by the wise, such as the late, great Mary Oliver :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely peonies and poem. I always enjoy seeing mine bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Ann and thank you. I look forward to seeing yours on your blog when they do :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem, the peonies are lovely blooms. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you take care and have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a poem! Creating so many vivid mental images! I should have known who wrote it, she is one of my favorite poets. The last ones are my favorite; I have never seen Peonies with a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites also Ginny :) I agree on that last photo.

      Delete
  5. The peonies are great. I love peonies... if they bloom here, summer is near :-))) Now the first tulips are putting out their buds... it will take a while in the garden, but in the greenhouse there are all the flowers in splendor... many greetings to you Vola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola :) It will be a little while before they bloom here also. I would love to photos of your greenhouse and the flowers therein :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading this poem about peonies, such a pretty flower. The ants are really a thing and I'm glad to read it's not just my peonies they go after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Ellen and yes it is. I never knew about the ants before but now I think about it, I do remember seeing them on the peonies.

      Delete
  7. yes I do go outside in my gown and barefoot, but alas no peonies to fill my arm. lovely poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Sandra, and none in mine either :) but I sure do love seeing them at the garden.

      Delete
  8. I like my peonies but I don't like their ants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary is the best. And lovely photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is, I love her poetry :) Thanks Jeanie!

      Delete
  10. Lovely peonies and poem :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and all the best to you also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!