Friday, April 21, 2023

BURKE LAKE PARK - AFTER THE DOGS

 Burke Lake is a place we went to years ago but promptly forgot.  I don't really know why.  This is our second or third visit now, in a relatively short space of time since rediscovering it.  We kept our walk short today though, because it started to rain.  

This is the road leading into the park and one of the signs below.  We come under 'county residents' so access for us is free.
There is a freshwater reservoir, and contained within Burke Lake Park is a Fairfax County public park. Burke Lake is formed by a dam on the South Run, a tributary stream of the Potomac River. 
It was Saturday but not very crowded, maybe due to the fact that we went later in the afternoon.  A few people had brought small boats and kayaks, and we watched one or two trucks with boat trailers as they backed down the ramp.  We decided to go to the left where we walked along the beach for a while.  It is where we found our friendly dogs from yesterday's post.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of shells these are? I have looked online but can't find an exact duplicate of this one.  Maybe freshwater clams? They were scattered all over the rocky beach where we saw the dogs playing in the water.

They also had interesting driftwood.  I can see an artist's beautifully polished wood under the scraggly outer layer, and imagined how pretty it would look.  I know we can't see that from these photos, but that's the direction my head goes when I look at these things.

New growth among the old.


You can learn more about this tree if you click here.  It has great information.
This path would take us through the Frisbee Golf Course.  We avoid as there is a history.  
I have had experience.  I avoid frisbee trails as though avoiding a treacherous bog.  On one occasion I was hit in the face with a flying frisbee, and on another occasion a couple of years later I was hit with a flying body trying to catch a flying frisbee.  I am not at the age where I need a concussion.  It looked quiet but then so had those other times, until someone yelled a warning seconds before.

Here is a map of the lake.  It covers 25 acres and averages only eight feet in depth.  Not for swimming but there are plenty of people who go out on boats, including kayaks. It is also managed as a fishing resource.  

That's all from this trip to Burke Lake Park until the next time we go.  I have a few photos to share of pretty homes along our route, but I'll share those when I can get them done.





28 comments:

  1. For sure a beautiful place to take a walk daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, I would like to take that daily walk here. Not close enough to do that though unfortunately :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful discovery/rediscovery.
    I am no expert but agree they look like fresh water clam shells. I stay away from people playing games too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the confirmation Sue and yes on staying away from people playing games :)

      Delete
  3. That looks like a beautiful park. I don't blame you for avoiding the frisbee trails. You would think they would have some kind of high fences to keep things like that from happening.
    So do they have someone at the entrance to the park to check ID to know who pays and who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I would have thought so too but I suppose they want to keep the area open to everyone. I'll just take another path :) We were surprised that there was no one at the entrance to check the ID, especially as it was on a Saturday. But we have been to other parks where it's free in the winter months and into the spring. Maybe this is like that.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    It is a beautiful park, love the view of the lake. Watch out for those frisbees. Take care, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, will do :) You take care and have a great weekend also.

      Delete
  5. All these leaves are so lush and green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are aren't they? I always love this time of the year :)

      Delete
  6. It is so pretty. Good work avoiding it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems to be lots to do there!
    Happy weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is and great for young families. Happy weekend to you Donna and sending hugs :)

      Delete
  8. The first thing I noticed in the first picture was all the beautiful spring green! That is a color green that I love the new bright green! I would love to visit and I too would have to stay out of the way of those frisbees. We have an area in the park we go to that has those frisbees and I hadn’t even thought about there might be a danger. But the good thing is we go early before anybody’s awake and there’s nobody throwing frisbees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sandra, it's lovely to see all the new growth, so lush and green :) Good to go before it gets too busy.

      Delete
  9. Frisbee trails sound too specialized, and for what? The small percentage of people who don't want to play in a park?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice that you re-discovered this nice place to walk and it's free to you. Yikes! about those frisbee incidents. Good to beware. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, we enjoy being down by the lake, and away from those frisbees, lol :) Happy weekend to you also :)

      Delete
  11. I would find frisbee in the woods very distracting. Frisbee looks great out in a grassy space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and fortunately there is enough of an area that we can stay clear. Yes, fun to watch and my all time favorite frisbee throwing is done for dogs :)

      Delete
  12. Too bad about the frisbee. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What dreadful frisbee stories! Whenever I see kinds playing with them, I try to stay far away! The Beech tree is real interesting to me. I don't know if I have ever seen one. Are they very common??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, that’s a great question and I didn’t really know much about them. Thanks to you I learned something. The following link has great information.

      https://vnps.org/johnclayton/2021/02/21/american-beech-january-2021-plant-of-the-month/

      There is also a very interesting article about a disease that attacks them.

      https://riverbendva.com/beech-leaf-disease/

      Another article here.

      https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/publicworks/trees/beech-bark-disease

      I won’t be reading these all at once but will sometime in the next few days. It is native to the U.S.

      Yes, we should both stay away from frisbees :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!