Monday, April 10, 2023

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE - CHINESE SAUSAGE FRIED RICE

I forgot to take a photo of this one but fortunately my dear other half did.  


I found this recipe on Instagram.  The name is Mags Spiced Kitchen.  Her video - at this link - is short but you can rewind it as often as you need to, and she also provides written instructions.  

When we lived in California many, many years ago (we have been in our present home since 1991), among our neighbors we had several Chinese-Americans we counted as friends, and one very dear lady who was a very special friend.  Now I come to think of it, she was probably my age at the time.  

She opened up the world for me and I loved listening to stories of her life.  She and I would chat for hours and occasionally she would come over when Gregg was home.  When I was away visiting my family, she brought him meals every day.  Back in those days he didn't cook and she took care of him like he was her own son.  Originally from Shanghai, she was widowed and eventually moved to Hawaii, bringing up five children on her own.  One of her daughters moved to our neighborhood with her family, and our friend would visit for the summer, eventually moving in permanently.  We were delighted when she became a permanent neighbor.  We met originally when I was out in the garden and I saw her walking up the hill.  I smiled, said hello and she stopped to chat.  We hit it off right away and stayed close friends until she sadly passed.  She certainly enriched our lives by knowing her. 

Gregg and I went down memory lane the other day, and we talked about our dear old friend.  I remembered one of the dishes she made us was a stir-fry with Chinese sausage.  I said to Gregg we should find a recipe and that's what we did.  

It wasn't long after that I found Mags Spiced Kitchen.  This is a real simple version, and it comes together quickly.  It might not have lived up to the memory of our dear friend’s dish but it was very close, absolutely delicious and will be made again.


Chinese Sausage Fried Rice

As read on Mag's recipe: "Chinese sausage, also known as lap cheong, has a unique combination of smoky, sweet, salty flavors."

3 links of Chinese Sausage/lap cheong
2 cups day old cold rice
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil, divided
1/4 onion, diced
1 scallion/green onion, white and green parts divided

Sauce:
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon chili (optional)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Cut Chinese sausages into thin slices and set aside.

Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and add salt.  Beat until whites and yolks are evenly blended.

Make the sauce: combine ingredients listed. 

Heat wok on high until smoking.  Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and pour in the eggs.  Scramble until 80% cooked.  Transfer and set aside.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the wok on medium heat.  Add diced onion and white parts of the scallions/green onions.  Stir a few minutes until fragrant.

Add the Chinese sausage and stir for a few minutes until cooked through, and browned in parts.  Don't cook for too long as I read overcooking renders out too much fat and cause the sausage to become too salty. *See note below recipe.  

Add the cold rice.  Stir and break up any clumps.

Pour the sauce mix around the wok and stir until everything is well combined.

Add the eggs back until mixed throughout.

Add the green parts of the scallions/green onions, and turn off the heat.  

Stir one last time and serve.

What did we think? 

No doubt about it, we thought it was a ten out of ten.  We made double the recipe because we wanted a meal for the next day, knowing that the flavors would have a chance to deepen.  They did, it was even better and that's saying something.   

*We got our sausage from a local Asian supermarket, brand shown below.  It was found in the frozen section.
There are many different types and brands of this kind of sausage, with different tastes, all good no doubt.  Ours was made with chicken and pork and will be our go to brand from now on.  The Spruce shares two methods of cooking.  We used the instructions for stir frying.  Click and scroll down a bit on this link to read.

A real simple meal and a favorite with many, is to put a few slices of Chinese sausage on top of steamed rice.  I wouldn't mind trying that sometime.  Sounds even easier to make than this recipe, definitely.  Would be a quick snack.

We didn't use day-old rice but used our tried-and-true Trader Joe's Jasmine Rice and the same brand brown rice.  We had a packet of each in the freezer and made them both for those leftovers the next day.  There are two servings in one pouch.

We don't have a wok and used a large frying pan.

For our own personal taste we thought we would add Thai basil next time.

Also would like to add veggies such as diced carrot and sweet red pepper.  Small broccoli florets might be nice.

That's it!  If I remember anything else I will add as I think about it.





36 comments:

  1. I think this post is such a wonderful tribute to your dear friend! Good looking recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, my dear friend was a joy to know and I am glad you liked the look of the recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Aww, glad you were in her life! We find friendships in unusual ways...I'm so glad I found You!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we do Donna and such a sweet thing to say. Please know the feeling is mutual, with hugs :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely memories. The recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome :) You take care and enjoy your day and week also :)

      Delete
  4. A friend forever!! What a sweet lady, and going back in time reminiscing was partially shared here... sweet of you to share your thoughts...and recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed those thoughts Anni, and recipe :) Thank you my friend :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed meeting your friend today through your memories. I make one like this but no onions, almost identical, but i use hillshire farms smoked sausage and it is something I can eat, i just have to remember to not pig out on the sausage. easy and fast and I add left over veggies sometimes, or even squash if I have one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed Sandra. Your recipe sounds great :)

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great recipe. Tonight, I am making stuffed bell pepper casserole. It's like stuffed peppers except I cut up the peppers and combine with browned ground pork, cooked minute rice, salsa, pasta sauce and shredded cheese on top. Maybe, I'll do a post on this. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recipe idea Gigi. Your stuffed peppers sound wonderful! :) I hope you will make a post about it.

      Delete
  7. We cook fried rice fairly often. Maybe it's time to try it with Chinese sausage, although we eat leass and less meat all the time. Fried rice with shrimp is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David and the shrimp would be excellent :)

      Delete
  8. It sounds delicious but my chances of finding Chinese Sausage in France is very slim. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a French sausage would fit Diane :) Cheers to you too!

      Delete
  9. Great looking dish and interesting story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim and Barb :) you are very welcome and happy you enjoyed.

      Delete
  10. Nice memories, and a tasty dish :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had stirfry tonight. It’s milder than what you had, pretty much just a way to use leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Great memories. The dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks and sounds so good...definitely worth doubling!! thanks for the heads up and information on the sausage, i would like to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so Debbie :) and you are very welcome :) When you make it please let me know what you think? Thanks so much!

      Delete
  14. I imagine that could get a bit spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually isn't William, the sausage is on the sweeter side, and a little salty. A great combination of flavors :)

      Delete
  15. This looks delicious. Chinese food is one of my favorites, and I crave it often. You are always making wonderful dishes in your kitchen, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Sheri :) I think we will be buying it more often now. Thank you for the sweet compliment. I try my best!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!