Monday, April 3, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BREAKFAST TORTILLA FOR ONE

Thank you for all your sweet comments when I was under the weather.  I will be catching up with you all this week.   Comments are now back on.  


No link today.  I can’t say this recipe is my own idea but from various recipes I have seen online and have adapted to my own taste.   This is for one person but could easily be doubled, or more.  Easy enough to swap out other veggies you have available.


Breakfast Tortilla for One

2 teaspoons of Olive Oil for sautéing 
(I used avocado spray)
2 eggs
1/4 of a sweet red pepper, diced
2 slices of onion, diced
1 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese 
1 tortilla (mine was 6-inches in diameter)
Parsley for garnish 


Prepare all ingredients and place next to the stove top, plus the 2 eggs which I mixed with a whisk (a Pyrex measuring jug works well).  

Put a frying pan on medium-high heat (mine was small and fit the size of my 6-inch tortilla perfectly).  

Spray your pan with avocado oil or the oil you are using.  

Sauté onion and sweet red pepper for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.  Take out of pan and cool a couple of minutes, then mix into the eggs.  

Also mix in the Cheddar cheese.  

Before adding the egg/veggie mixture to the frying pan, add a little more oil if you think it is needed.  My heat was on medium-high but you can turn heat down if you think it is cooking too quickly.  You be the judge.

Pour the egg mixture into the frying pan, swirling so that it covers the bottom of your pan.  (Very easy for me to do because as I mentioned above, my pan was the size of my tortilla.  If you are using a larger pan you wouldn't spread it out as much, only to fit the size of your own tortilla.  Immediately place a tortilla on top and press down just a smidgen.  

When eggs are almost set, carefully use your spatula and gently flip, so that the tortilla is now on the bottom and the egg/veggie mixture is now on the top.  Cook a couple of minutes more to allow the tortilla to brown a little.  

Fold tortilla over like you would an omelet.  Slide onto your serving plate and sprinkle with chopped parsley.  


It really makes a delicious breakfast.  You can use your own favorite pre-cooked leftover veggies or cheese choice.  

You could also eat this for lunch or supper and add a mixed salad.

Added note: 4-4-23 at 3.07 p.m.
I had a thought that depending where you live, you might not have tortillas in your supermarket.  I searched for a recipe that sounded quite good, so if you want to go the extra mile and pre-make some, here is the recipe.

TORTILLAS Best Ever Homemade Flour Tortillas, a recipe from The Café Sucre Farine.

https://thecafesucrefarine.com/best-ever-homemade-flour-tortillas/

Makes: 16 tortillas
Calories: 124 kcal for each 

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, vegetable oil or other fairly neutral flavored oil
1 cup warm water

To make by hand:
Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a medium-size bowl. Using a sturdy silicone spatuala or a sturdy wooden spoon, mix dry ingredients until well combined.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the oil and water. Stir well from the bottom up, until all dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough begins to come together and form a shaggy ball.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 1-2 minutes until the dough is nice and smooth. Proceed with step number 3 below for the remainder of the recipe.

To make with a mixer:
Combine flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, mix dry ingredients until well combined.

Add oil and water with mixer running at a medium speed. After about 1 minute, or when mixture comes together and begins to form a ball, decrease mixing speed to low. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until dough is smooth.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 16 equal portions. Turn each piece to coat with flour. Form each piece into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand. Cover flattened balls of dough with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes (or as much as 2 hours) before proceeding.

After the rest period, heat a large pan over medium heat. Roll each dough piece into a rough circle, about 6-7 inches in diameter, keep work surface and rolling pin lightly floured. Don’t stack uncooked tortillas on top of each other or they will stick together. (I like to separate my tortillas with parchement paper.)

When the pan is hot, place one dough circle into the pan and allow to cook 45 seconds to 1 minute or until the bottom surface has a few pale brown spots and the uncooked surface is bubbly. If browning too fast, reduce the heat a bit. If it’s taking longer than a minute to see a few pale golden brown spots on the underside of tortillas, increase the heat a bit. Flip to other side and cook for 15-20 seconds. The tortillas should be nice and soft but have a few small brown spots on the surface. 

Remove from pan with tongs and stack in a covered container or zippered bag to keep the tortillas soft. 

Serve warm or allow to cool for later use. When ready to use, place a slightly damp paper towel in the bottom of a microwave-safe container (with a cover) that will hold the stacked tortillas. Microwave uncovered for 15-30 seconds (start with 15) or until warm, then keep covered to hold heat while serving.

Store in an airtight container or zippered bag at room temperature for 24 hours or refrigerate for up to 1 week. To freeze, separate tortillas with parchment paper or waxed paper and place in a zippered bag before placing in the freezer.

I haven't made this tortilla recipe so can't say what I think.  Sounds good though!


If you have any questions - or tips - please let me know in the comment section.






33 comments:

  1. What a clever idea, I'm going to try it! How are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, and thank you for asking. I am fine, just a little tired still :)

      Delete
  2. That did look and sound good. Tortillas are not readily available here, but I might have to go looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I posted a tortilla recipe underneath the recipe :)

      Delete
  3. The omelets surely looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Denise,
    The breakfast tortilla looks yummy, thanks for sharing! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks tasty!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the idea, i had a egg/cheese tortilla for breakfast yesterday, minus oinion which I don't eat, just eggs and cheese because no red or yellow bell peppers. what I did not think of is putting the tortilla on top and turning it together, I just put my egg mixture in and folded over. can't wait to try this way to make one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sandra :) glad you liked the look of it.

      Delete
  7. Yummy! Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Would you believe I was literally just thinking of what to make me and my husband for breakfast?!?! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Billie Jo :) and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  9. Ok! I am back!!! He loved it!!!! It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I can understand, I was the same way reading the recipe when I first saw it :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Denise, so glad to read that you are feeling better and this breakfast tortilla looks very good and once we can introduce a few carbs into our meal plans, I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy :) When you do I hope you will enjoy it :)

      Delete
  12. Looks and sounds good.
    A tasty start to the day :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's so much we can do with tortillas. This breakfast tortilla looks delicious. I just made tacos, as I had some flour tortillas in the fridge. My mom used to make homemade tortillas with her beans and rice. I really miss them.

    Happy Easter, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!