Wednesday, April 12, 2023

RAINY DAY

We had a few glorious days of warmth and sunshine, but I was getting over whatever it was I was getting over.  I finally felt the need to get out of the house last Friday (the 7th), we decided to go to one of our favorite gardens for a walk and left the house early-ish (10:15 a.m) and headed in the direction of Meadowlark Gardens.  We like to stop at a favorite pasty shop.  It is on the way to the garden.  We intended to have a picnic before we began our walk.  However, it started to rain heavily.  When I checked a few days before, the weather was going to be cloudy but with zero rain.  Great for taking photos of flowers I thought.  The shade would help the colors pop.  

Five minutes after we left the house it started to pour, and still hoping it would finish before we reached our destination, we realized it would probably be socked in for at least the next few hours. Not wanting to get drenched, and most definitely not being the stuff of ducks these days...
 having not thought of the brolly or wellies in the trunk, not having thought to look at the day's forecast, we resigned ourselves to the fact that our walk would be on another day.  

But, all was not lost, we still went to our pasty shop and had a car picnic instead.  We thoroughly enjoyed our traditional pasty and chatted away looking at the rain.  This is where we parked, with the sign showing the shops nearby.  I noticed the rain-drop patterns and out came my cell phone.  No photos of flowers but what the hey.
On our way home we rolled into the coffee shop drive-thru.  A long line of cars greeted us.  We followed the blue Kia and read the stickers on the back.  They had the Adventure Zone, What's Up You Cool Baby(?), a sticker showing a line of cacti, the Yellowstone Park sign (our all time favorite national park), Big Foot and yes, I saw Big Foot that day but only in sticker form...he was as curious about us as we were about him.
There was a World Series Champions sticker (for the Nationals in 2019), a ribbon I didn't recognize, a statement on vaccinations, a sticker of a cute owl and knowing there was an owl lover driving the car, well, that made me smile.  
I remembered all the times our son when young wanted to put stickers all over our car and baa-humbug I don't like stickers on our car but apparently, I do enjoy readings others on other cars now.  Hey-ho it's a rainy day, did I mention it was a long line?  

We finally got to the window and I ordered a tall cup of coffee from the friendly barista.  She was also making a statement and on every square inch she had about 3 dozen pins pinned on her pinny.  I was curious but I didn't think she would appreciate me hanging my head out the window to read them (wrong side anyhow), and it was still raining though not quite the downpour it was before.

  Gregg was finishing off his coca-cola from the pasty shop, and I had finished my small bottle of Fanta.  By the time we reached the drive-thru I was ready for my coffee and I was now well informed on the stickers out there.  It was still raining and we drove home.

We missed having a walk around the garden but as that old saying goes, make lemonade out of the lemons you're given, or something like that.

Have a great day everyone and thanks for dropping by.





32 comments:

  1. To me, it sounds like your day was a total unplanned success! Perhaps even better than the planned Gardens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned into a fun trip :) it all worked out great.

      Delete
  2. Same pouring rain here non stop. I am suffering from a blue as a result

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Roentare. Hope your skies and mood are much better now :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your delicious lemonaide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue :) always happy to share the lemonade.

      Delete
  4. Too bad about the rain but it sounds like you had a fun day any way. I don't like stickers on my car either and refuse to put any on it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been having quite a bit of rain lately too...I guess that's normal in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie :) I hope your skies have cleared up too.

      Delete
  6. Those are the kind of days I LOVE...Give me a lazy, rainy day, Anyday!
    Love all the sticker sayings!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I actually enjoy a rainy day :) hugs from me too.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like it was a drenching of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we can see flowers any day but rain drop art is so much better and this is exactly what her madness would have done inside the car. i have a few of these hidden away in my blog somewhere. its beautiful and i even see a few little fishies in the bottom right corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, and I went back to see those little fishes. Yep, they were there :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It certainly is. Don’t have too many but always fun :)

      Delete
  10. You made the best of a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad that the outdoor walk was cancelled due to the rain, Denise, but it does seem like you and Gregg made goo use of your time out. Reading bumper stickers is fun and I too wonder WHY some people put so many on their car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy :) I remember seeing a car once where every square inch was covered in stickers. Every one was a statement on political and world events. I enjoy the destination travel ones for the national parks.

      Delete
  12. As 'Red' says ... you made the best of a rainy day.
    Here's to drier weather soon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, we have had some nice days since :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  13. I like how you roll with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun day regardless! I like a good pastry shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were Cornish Pasty’s Ellen, a rare and delicious treat :) And a very fun day.

      Delete
  15. At least you made a day of it. But don't you just hate it when the rain messes up an outdoor plan? Still, pasties would make it all worthwhile. I haven't had one in ages. (And while I'm here, thanks again for coming by Marmelade Gypsy! Always happy to see you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to visit Jeanie as I thoroughly enjoy your blog :) Oh yes, always best to make the lemonade and I have to admit, I do enjoy the occasional rainy day :) Now we will enjoy that trip to the gardens even more. We also enjoy those Cornish Pasty’s. The gentleman who owns the shop is British and goes over to Cornwall each year and enters a competition. He won on one occasion and am not surprised as his are beyond a 10 out of 10.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!