Monday, April 24, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - 4 INGREDIENT IMPOSSIBLE PIE (NO BUTTER OR OIL)


Today's recipe came from Kirbie's Cravings, hosted by Kirbie.  It's called an impossible pie because it makes its own crust.  I made it because I have been thinking about English Custard Tarts lately, and I am interested in seeing how it compares.  I don't make desserts very often but as our son was coming over, I thought this would make a nice treat.  The original recipe can be found at this link.  Thank you Kirbie!  She has wonderful recipes on her food blog.  You will also be able to read the tips she added for this one, and I have added a few below.

The following are from Kirbie’s recipe.

"This creamy custard pie is called impossible pie because a pie crust magically appears during baking. This easy pie requires just 4 ingredients and one batter that takes only five minutes to prepare. When the batter bakes, it separates into a creamy custard and a pie crust."


4-Ingredient Impossible Pie

Servings: 10

Calories: approximately 128 per slice (other nutritional values can be found at Kirbie's website)


Preparation time: 5 minutes

Cooking time: 45 minutes

Total time: 50 minutes 


4 large eggs

3/4 cup (148 g) granulated white sugar

1/2 cup (64 g) all-purpose flour

2 cups (473 ml) low fat milk (I used 2%)

(Optional) Powdered sugar for dusting the top of pie when cooled


Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease the interior of a 9-inch pie pan.

Add eggs, sugar, flour and milk to a blender.

Blend until all ingredients are incorporated and evenly mixed. 

Pour batter into prepared pie pan.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

The pie will also start to pull away from the sides. 

Let cool to room temperature. 

It will deflate a little as it cools. 

Place in fridge for several hours or overnight to chill and let the flavors fully develop. 

If using, sprinkle the pie with powdered sugar before serving.  I use a mesh sieve to do this.  

Pie is best served chilled.


More of Kirbie's notes: 

"Make sure to refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving. This lets the flavors develop better. 

Without refrigerating, the pie does not taste as sweet and the custard tastes eggy.

This pie is not super sweet. If you prefer sweeter desserts, you can add an extra 1/4 cup of sugar to the batter, or you can dust the pie with extra powdered sugar, or add some other sweetener on top. 

For more flavor, you can add 1 tsp of vanilla to the batter.

Do not use a shallow pie pan because your batter won't fit.

Coconut version: If you want to make the coconut version, make the batter first without the coconut. Then stir in 1 cup of shredded coconut to the batter. You will need to bake the coconut version about 5-15 minutes longer.

Low fat milk can be substituted with whole, skim or milk alternatives like soy milk or almond milk." 


Below you can copy and paste the address if you prefer it that way.

https://kirbiecravings.com/4-ingredient-impossible-pie/



What did we think?  

This was enjoyed by the three of us   I put a small dish of blackberries and raspberries on the side.

I didn't have much time to chill because as soon as the lads saw the finished pie, they asked for a slice straight away.  I only found the recipe an hour before baking.  It was sweet enough and no one found it 'eggy'.  Next time though, I will make it the day before, or at least several hours earlier.  And our pie was even better the next day with the required chilling.  The pie also has a cleaner appearance/edge when sliced.

It puffed up a lot, similar to when I have made Yorkshire Pudding, but as mentioned in Kirbie's notes, it deflates quickly.  

Bubbles appeared on the surface even after cooking.  I'm sure this was due to mixing it in the blender, and maybe I could have stopped whirling earlier? I saw the bubbles before putting the pie in the oven, too many to smooth out but thought they might disappear in the cooking process, Nope! My pie was doing a perfect impression of the surface of the moon.

They did, however, disappear after sprinkling powdered sugar all over the top, which I did before serving.  You couldn't see them at all, and it had a wonderful taste.

My pie also cracked a little in the middle.  I'll have to read up on how to prevent that but again, after I covered everything with powdered sugar, no problem and the finished product was not only delicious, but very pretty.

One of the easiest desserts to put together and I have had requests to make it again.  It would be very nice for when we have company.





37 comments:

  1. I have never seen anything like this! Sure worth a try, fast and easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you do give it a try Ginny :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting and thanks for your direction on the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impossible Pie is a great recipe isn't it? From memory there is also a savoury version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I am really happy I came across this one :) I would be interested in a savory version also. Thanks Sue!

      Delete
  4. YUM, looks delicious! Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Eileen :) Thank you and you take care and have a great week also.

      Delete
  5. Quick and easy...and I bet it tastes great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that it was so easy drew me right in Angie :) And the taste was great.

      Delete
  6. Well that sounds so easy. I might have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do and let me know what you think Ann :)

      Delete
  7. Very interesting I may try thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do I hope you enjoy it as much as we did Christine :)

      Delete
  8. Back from making this pie! It sounded SO good So up I jumped and it's in the oven...lol
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Enjoy the week!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Hoping you like this Donn. You enjoy your week also and hugs from me :)

      Delete
  9. We wonderful! I love cake and I love dessert :-)))
    I think I'll try this simple cake... thank you very much and a warm greeting to you.
    I wish you a happy week. Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viola, so glad you like the look of it. Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  10. oh how I wish I could eat this, but 2 of the ingredients are on my no list for IBS and fight to keep away diabetes. daddy loved custard pie best of all pies, and so do I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too Sandra :) Both my mother and father enjoyed a custard pie.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe and the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Billy Jo, happy to share them :)

      Delete
  12. That's so interesting (that it makes its own crust). I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, the crust isn't like the hard crust from an actual pie, but it's there, just more subtle :) I hope you like it.

      Delete
  13. Well, that's a fun recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm saving this one, Denise. You had me at "no crust!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like the sound of it Jeanie and hope you enjoy when you do make it :)

      Delete
  15. Oh my, that looks scrumptious, Denise. Haven't had pie in awhile. Now, I'm craving it. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how guys are sometimes when pies are ready. They wanna dig right in. At least mine does too! How cool that crust forms by itself through baking. Very, very cool. LOOOOOVE the idea of berries on the side. I'm a big berry fan. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? And did you ever pick berries wild when you were a kid? That is one of my most favorite memories. I love berries too!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!