Wednesday, April 10, 2019

LAST POST FROM HUNTLEY MEADOWS FOR A WHILE.

At least for a little while.


This first photo was taken at the beginning of our walk, where Gregg will take the right-hand path towards the boardwalk over the marsh.  The left-hand path takes us through more woods, but eventually leads down to the marsh again.  We always go to the right as we are eager to see what wildlife there is in our favorite area, and it's just round the corner.  We only have to walk about a quarter of a mile from where we parked our car to get to this point.  


The Beaver's trademark can be seen in this photo.  He fesses up immediately, he cannot tell a lie.  
Another pair of Canada Geese shortly afterwards.  I did not see a nest.  
This pretty goose had a mate nearby but again, there was no nest that I could see.  We kept a close eye on each other.  Not that close as I took these photos with our zoom.  She/he didn't seem threatened by my presence and went on munching. 
I sat on a bench in a shaded area among the trees, while Gregg explored an area that was a bit too muddy for the shoes I was wearing.  I had not intended to get off our usual path and did not put on a sturdier pair of walking shoes.  I was wearing my comfies and they were not waterproof.  (There are benches throughout our walk, and many were being used.  A lot of people out and about, all ages.)  Gregg had taken a path, a little more overgrown, that goes to the water's edge. A minute or so after he left I heard noise, turned around and two geese were focused on eating tasty shoots as they slowly made their way in my direction.  One of them decided to take flight and landed in water nearby.  After we observed each other for another few minutes, she followed her partner and mine returned from his walk, not having seen any more birds except those too far away for photos.
There were lots of buds sprouting on trees. Spring has sprung.
 This is a Snapping Turtle I shared a photo in one of my Huntley Meadow posts.  
By this time we are almost at the end of our walk.  Wanting to see if the Wood Duck was still there, we retraced our steps.  Normally we take a different loop but that Wood Duck was calling to me, like a siren song and when I asked him, Gregg didn't mind going back the way we came.  He was still there but more awake now, more alert.
Two ladies started conversations with me on our walk.  The first saw us taking photos of the Red-winged Blackbird, and asked if I knew anything about them.  I told her what I could but suggested she look on line for more information.  She was very nice, from Pennsylvania and visiting her daughter and family.  We chatted for several minutes before her family appeared.  They were heading home and she would be going back to PA in a couple of days.  
Right after she left another lady taking photos of the Wood Duck began a conversation.  When she spoke I turned around and saw that she had a tripod and a camera attached with a very big lens, which I asked her about.  She was happy to share what she knew about her equipment and I was fascinated.   She was kind enough to offer me a look at the Wood Duck and yep, I would've been able to see that duck's tonsils if he had been facing my way with his beak open!  She told me her lens was 500 mm.  I learned that if you had a fixed lens (as she did) instead of a zoom (as I had), you could get beautifully crisp, clear photos.  I am going to have to save a few pennies for that one.  She also had a 2x teleconverter, which is a magnifying attachment you can attach between your camera and the actual lens.  I could have chatted with her for ages as she was only too happy to talk not only about her camera equipment but also about the wood duck and other birdlife she had seen.  
She told me that the Wood Duck's mate was inside the box sitting on her eggs.  She also had helpful hints, one being that I should try and get the light in the eyes of the duck for a better photo and she again let me look through the lens as the sun came out.  I could see what she was talking about.  I've often thought birds and other animals look better with the sun reflecting on them, and had noticed the spot of light in their eyes.  Gregg had walked on ahead and I didn't want to delay him any further.  It was time for us to go so I thanked this very nice lady and off we went.  By the time I got back home I needed a nap!  
We always enjoy our trips to this park.  We saw not necessarily in order, Wood Ducks, other Ducks we didn't recognize at the time, Painted Turtles, Snapping Turtles, Tadpoles, Red-winged Blackbirds, Coots, Osprey and Canada Geese.  Not bad for one outing.  I'm looking forward to the babies arriving, but I will be staying a safe distance from them and will admire from afar.

As always thank you so much for dropping by, and I hope your day is a great one.




30 comments:

  1. the very few times bob has gone with me in a park, he always has to hang out and wait while I chat... he doesn't like to talk to strangers and I do.... I have learned lots of things by chatting just like you did with the fixed lens lady. it will take a lot more pennies to buy one like she had. I never got to the place I could justify buying one but I truly wanted on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy chatting and you're right you do learn a lot from talking to others. My priority list is pretty long too, it could be a while, a long, long while before I got a lens like that lady's :)

      Delete
  2. I am sad to see Huntely Meadows go, but I know you will be back soon. Splendid wood duck photos! What nice people go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me feel good that you enjoyed Huntley Meadows a lot through these photos Ginny. We'll be back. Always love going there :)

      Delete
  3. I am pretty certain that if I lived in the neighbourhood I would be at Huntley Meadows often. Very, very often. Thank you so much for taking us along.
    The light in the bird's eye is known as a 'catch light' to photographers and many of them discard any photo which doesn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be but feel fortunate it's only a 45 minute drive to an hour, depending on traffic. I like the 'catch light' phrase, thanks EC. I still have a hard time throwing photos away, even when they are pretty dark. One of these days I guess :)

      Delete
  4. Huntley Meadows looks such a lovely place.
    I've enjoyed your posts and photographs very much.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that the wood duck has nested in a nesting box, Great photos. Hope all is well with you Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has done for many years. There are duck boxes all over the park. Thank you Diane, all's well here, hope you can say the same :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely nature walk, thanks for sharing this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine, and thank you :)

      Delete
  7. I thought this was a fabulous day...you had such a lovely visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, it was. We always enjoy in every season :)

      Delete
  8. Great walk, lots of wonderful birds (wood ducks are so wonderful) , nice people and a photography lesson! What a super outing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snapper is not to be trifled with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I have heard and know about that long neck that can swivel backwards really fast :)

      Delete
  10. What a beautifiul walk you have taken us on ... and OMG, your pictures are simply fabulous. Thank You for sharing ...We still have snow so your post was very unplifting....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zaa and you are very welcome. I hope your snow has gone by now. Hugs to you :)

      Delete
  11. You meet some of the nicest people when you are out looking for birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it lovely in life when you meet people who are helpful and share their expertise. You certainly saw and learned a lot from that walk. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always is and people are very generous with their time and knowledge. Have a wonderful weekend also Margaret :)

      Delete
  13. What a nice place to walk. Glad you could learn some new things from the friendly bird watcher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to meet up with fellow photographers that share their knowledge, Denise. I love that she shared about the wood duck. I will try to remember about the sunlight when I take photos. I usually get so excited I just snap away! Thank you for sharing your beautiful park. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Martha Ellen and you are very welcome. I snap away also because sometimes a special moment can be captured when no sun is there. I do, however, love the sun on those pretty feathers :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!