Wednesday, June 27, 2018

ALASKA TRIP- MAY 2018 - NIECE AND NEPHEW OFF TO THE AIRPORT TODAY

We are taking our niece and nephew to the airport today.  
Thursday, May 24th, 2018

5.04 p.m. We have recently returned from a birding nature reserve called Potters Marsh.  We had passed it many times and were curious. 

It was very cold and blustery and the birds were far away from the boardwalk.  Numerous gulls were sitting on their nests in the distance.  We saw them from the road but traffic, although not that busy, was enough that we didn't feel it was safe to stop.  

Pretty place though, loved walking the boardwalk and looking across the marsh.  I will put more photos of the place in another post.

We stopped at Turnagain Armpit Barbecue for lunch. 
 All kinds of positive signs on the walls. 

(Funnily enough, and we wrote this back in May, when we got back home we were watching a TV channel that was showing several restaurants we visited while on vacation, and this was one of them.  It was fun to see again.)
I forgot to take photos of our orders, but here are the menus.
This barbecue place was one our driver recommended when we were on the bus tour.  
One more photo.

On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a shopping area not too far away, and filled the car up with gas. We decided to browse around in a souvenir shop a few stores up from the gas station. A lady standing behind Gregg, when he was asked by the person behind the counter where he was from, laughed when she heard his answer.  It turned out that she grew up in the same town. It is such a small world at times. They had a great conversation about places they knew when they were kids. She was also on vacation but now lived in Alaska, and had been teaching here for many years.

This morning we had asked our niece and nephew where they would like to eat tonight.  It would be our last meal together for quite a while, and we would be taking them to the airport straight from the restaurant.

Our bus driver had also recommended The Double Musky Inn, which wasn't too far away from our hotel. Also it was on that TV show I mentioned above.

 Great place, lots of character...
and a great atmosphere. 















And then it was time to go.  

A young moose was seen chewing its way through small branches, just down the road from the hotel.  Its mother was nearby but tucked even further into the trees and hard to see, as this one was, a shape at least.  Not a very clear sighting but still a last parting gift for niece and nephew, who have fallen in love with all the wildlife they have seen. What a great time we have had with them, and I shall be sad to see them go.  

9.46 p.m. and the next phase of our holiday has begun.  We have just returned from the airport.  There were tears.  I told Gregg and nephew to stop blubbering.  Okay, so how can I joke about this?  My niece and I cried a bucket.  We hugged tightly and left quickly, to lessen the torture of a long goodbye.  And yes, we have already sown the seeds of when we will get together again.

I miss my babes, what can I say? 





24 comments:

  1. Sweet partings! Looks like you found some interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you wept. But have built up an immense bank of precious memories to hug to yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories were created even if you did cry over them. What a wonderful holiday you all had. I thank you for sharing them with us, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Valerie, and I agree with what you say.

      Delete
  4. Bet you were sad to see them leave I can just imagine the tears. What great memories of them though until next time. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever so Diane, but last night we had a lovely long chat with both of them on Facetime. Count our blessings to have this technology like talking in the next room. You take care too :)

      Delete
  5. I concur with the previous comments, Denise, that you all have shared wonderful adventures with one another and all of us. Surely, there will be a next time in a different locale and hope we are along for all the fun...and food😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One adventure after another and it was all so much fun. Yes, we're already trying to figure out where that new locale will be :) and I will be sure to document everything, including the food :)))

      Delete
  6. Hello, looks like a wonderful end to your trip. The views were fantastic and the food looks delicious. I am sure you have a great place picked out for the next trip already! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, we have a few that we are milling around. Happy day to you too :)

      Delete
  7. don't laugh, but my favoirite thing in all these gorgeous photos of beautiful things is the light hanging in the middle of the view from the table.. love it. the views are spectacular and unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not laughing Sandra, that view spoke to us too.

      Delete
  8. Sweet memories to remember in the future.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This trip will surely be remembered for a long time and the nephew and nephew, and you are certainly also beautiful views from the reserve. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giga, it was an incredible holiday.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes goodbyes can be so rough, even though we convince ourselves that there will be no tears. I've got to tell you that I sure wish there was a way that cool air from Alaska can be shipped to other states. (lol) I would sure take it. The food looks so yummy, and I adore the scenery. Happy Wednesday! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RO, very true, the harder as I get older I find. I wish the same, we're heading for the high 90s soon :) Have a great day and a great weekend RO, with hugs :)

      Delete
  11. I love that giant fork hanging on the fireplace and I love the looks of the shrimp and grits,one my favorite dishes. Great photos! Goodbyes are just so darned hard. I always cry. Do you make scrap books of your trips? I started doing that so I can look through them again while sitting on the sofa or have them out for others to see. Thank you for sharing a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy you are very welcome. Wasn't that a neat décor item? They have a good reputation for great food. The scrap book is a good idea, thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  12. The marsh is particularly a beautiful sight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!