Tuesday, June 12, 2018

ALASKA CRUISE - MAY 2018 - MOTHER’S DAY IN SITKA SUNDAY, MAY 13TH, 2018

I add this at the beginning just in case there is someone who pops in and doesn't know that we are back home, having returned on May 31st, 2018.  These daily journals are written in the hopes that you will find them entertaining, and maybe useful in case you are planning a trip to Alaska.  Throughout my blog if you see any words that are in red, they are usually links to other websites with useful or interesting information.  If you would like to check out all my posts, you can click on the label 'Alaska Trip - May 2018' at the bottom of this post.
SUNDAY, MAY 13TH, 2018 - MOTHER’S DAY - SITKA

It is 5.07 a.m.  I have been awake for about an hour and oh joy, I have a sore throat. I talked to Gregg very briefly and he is now snoozing.  I am going to try and get back to sleep. The ship is rolling a bit, I definitely feel the motion and it is like being rocked gently while lying in bed. I have grown to like it, though I have found that when I go ashore I feel that too. Niece and I remarked that in town it was like having to get rid of our sea legs, a slight adjustment to walking on land again.
10.25 p.m.  When we left the ship there was a ten minute walk to get up to the road where a bus was waiting to take us into Sitka.  The ride took about 15 minutes.  

Sitka is another town that can only be reached by boat or small plane.  There are no roads from outside because the surrounding terrain is very rugged. 

There is an Orthodox church with two spires and they are accepting donations to restore it. 

It is called St. Michael's Cathedral, and was built in the 19th Century when it was under Russia's rule. 

 The above photo of Sitka, taken from Crescent Bay, is quite old but its date is unknown.  Sitka has an interesting past which is a unique blend of native Tlingit culture and Russian history.  In 1867, when the United States purchased Alaska from the Russians, the transfer ceremony was held in Sitka, and Sitka became Alaska's first capital city. 
Gregg bought me a mother’s day gift from the Hanlon-Osbakken House, a bear paw print from a house which contains works of art for sale from over 100 Alaskan artists.  This shop deserves a post of its own, which you will see after my daily journals are finished.  In the meantime you can see my Mother's Day Gift above.  Sorry for the reflections.  I took it very quickly and will try to get a better shot later on.
We met up with Gregg's sister and her husband as we were walking along, and rode the bus back together. 

We met one sweet little puppy today.  

Her human told us that she was a corgi puppy called Nugget. Nugget was mostly dark brown. 

When we reached the ship, a welcome sight by the time we have spent several hours ashore, we stopped at the kiosk selling all kinds of cooked crab.  Niece heard something and looked over the make-shift fence. This sweet little pup stared up at her.  There was no one to ask what his name was.
Friendly little chap, small light brown pup with a little tail that wagged furiously when we stopped to say hello.  Our second doggy-fix of the day.

Our time back on board was spent eating!  And that I will tell you all about next time.  




26 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your sore throat. And love your bear paw print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, as always, Denise, and I love that little dog. Nugget is a great name for him.
    Didn't you know it is against the rules to get a sore throat when on vacation? As for suffering with sea-legs, that's something I never suffered with. Thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, against the rules I know, a pain in more ways than one. Glad you didn't have a problem with sea legs :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, Sitka was a neat city and port stop. I love the bear paw print. The dogs are adorable. We enjoyed walking a trail in a park with Totem Poles in Sitka. Wonderful post and photos, brings back memories of our cruise to Alaska. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, I missed the Totem Poles park. Another reason to go back one day :) Glad this post brought back good memories. Happy Wednesday to you too and have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! Great way to spend Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, and yes it was a very special way to celebrate Mother's Day.

      Delete
  5. I love those puppies, my son and his wife have corgies. I will let you know if m friends show up in Sitka today..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they adorable? I love corgies to, so nice your son and his wife have them. Please let me know if your friends show up in Sitka, I'd love to see more photos of their trip :)

      Delete
  6. A mother's day that you will remember for sure. I'd enjoy seeing Sitka in person because of the Russian connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, I certainly will. I hope you get to Sitka one day. Its history is very interesting.

      Delete
  7. The dogs are adorable!

    I do find that fascinating- that a lasting legacy of the Russian period in Alaska is the presence of the Orthodox church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are. That whole history between Alaska and its Russian beginnings is fascinating.

      Delete
  8. Dogs clearly love you. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so Cloudia :) So glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  9. Hope the sore throat did not spoil the trip for you. Love that picture of the bear foot. Take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, it was a typical one but I didn't let it stop me from having a good time. Glad you like my Mother's Day Gift. I'm so glad it's hanging up in my house right now :)

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful trip and scenery Love the pups. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I am having a good week thank you. So glad you enjoyed my post, especially of the pups :)

      Delete
  11. What wonderful small towns you were able to visit on our outing away from the ship, Denise. My favorite was the one showing all the boat masts and your cruise ship looked lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise,
    Another wonderful day and hopefully the sore throat went away.
    Love the two dogs, Nugget has that look of mischief.
    Its so easy to forget the Russian history of Alaska and how close it is.
    Great bear print.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it came and it went eventually :) He does look mischievous doesn't he? I fell in love with Nugget, and the other little one. All the best to you too John :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!