Monday, June 18, 2018

ALASKA CRUISE - MAY 2018 - YUKON TERRITORY - WEDNESDAY, MAY 16TH, 2018



Wednesday, May 16th, 2018
Two hours ago I awoke to snow covered mountains and a beautiful harbor.  We are in Skagway.  The scenery is stunning!  


So, about our day.  We started very early and left the ship at 8.30 a.m.  Gregg's sister, who had organized this trip, arranged for a tour with a local company.  
(From my niece and nephew's photos.)
Tim, our tour guide, picked us up in a van big enough for the eight of us.  He was great and gave us an excellent tour.  We had to bring our passports as we were going into Canada.
Many of the passengers off our ship were boarding a train right there next to the pier.  I found this link for that trip.  Looks like they went through some incredible scenery too, and ours was pretty incredible.  
(This photo was given to me by my niece and nephew.)
Tim asked us if we would like to visit a kennel where dogs are raised to take part in the famous Iditarod Race.  You can read about the race here
(Photo from my sister-in-law.)
We were very enthusiastic.  He took us to the Taglish Kennels, where we were privileged to meet the dogs and one litter of two-week old puppies, one sweet little puppy in particular.  

We were allowed to hold this cutie for a while.  Three of us had that privilege, my niece, nephew and myself.  

We all fell in love with the sweet little thing.  It was very hard to give him back!  Mom had her own dog pen that was secured from the rest of the curious dogs... 

and her own very comfortable looking dog house... 


where we were able to see the other puppies.  The roof lifts on a hinge for easier access to the family, and comes in very useful when it's cleaning time I'm sure.
 It was very interesting that another female dog was trying to get inside the pen.  We were asked if we would like to see the other puppies, and were allowed in two at a time.  The other dog's curiosity got the better of her and she was always trying to sneak in to take a look at the puppies.  We were asked not to let her in.  She meant no harm and she was very sweet, just curious.  However, mama dog, like any good mother, wanted to protect her babies.
(Photo from niece and nephew.)
  I noticed curious dog was trying to sneak in behind me.  Mama dog did not appreciate this, as she had growled loudly at her earlier.  

We went through the Canadian customs after showing our passports.  They couldn't have been nicer.  The same could be said of the U.S. customs on our return.

This is a photo with our tour guide Tim.  He was great and showed us a fantastic time.  

The scenery we saw was stunning.  There were reflections caught in clear lakes of 'glass'.  The mountains were perfectly mirrored, like an upside down world.  
(From niece and nephew's collection.)
We stopped for lunch in a town called Carcross… 
and all separated to find our own meal choices.  The place Gregg, niece, nephew and I chose had German music playing.  They went to investigate and found a German lady who worked in the small restaurant we had found for lunch.  They enjoyed meeting her and chatting before it was time for us to move on.  She had lived in Alaska for several years.

This was our turning point and Tim stopped off at several overlooks on the way back.  More stunning views, and I will need to do another post later to share all the photos taken.

We eventually ended up in Skagway and enjoyed browsing.  

Time to say goodbye to Tim and we thanked him enthusiastically for giving us such a great tour.  Thanks again Tim!

9.48 p.m. and we are back in our cabin after a marvelous dinner on board, all eight of us.  It was another super meal. 

(I put my niece and nephew's photos into a collage.  Not all the dishes are shown but there were no more photos taken of this meal as far as I can see.)
Sleep calls! 

20 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and wow. Love that scenery - but suspect that it was the puppy which won your heart most that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish....

    It's a toss-up whether to love the views best or those puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Skagway looks beautiful. I love the puppies and momma dog. I love the snow topped mountains. The food looks delicious. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know my favorite part today is the puppies.. and that train I just love it.. I would like to take that trip. I love train rides and this one looks much like the one I rode growing up back in the 40's and 50's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I thought that would be the case :) Puppy’s always:))) How neat about the train ride.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Very much so Christine, photos don’t do them justice.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Cloudia and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Denise,
    What this, another superb day with some beautiful landscape images, and then to go and tempt us all with all that food at the end, cruel.
    Mind the puppies are always tempting, we have a saying, 'Puppies always take up time and you don't realise.'
    Perhaps I will sometime do a puppy blog.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them John :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  8. I checked out the train link, Denise, and know that is something that Pat would surely have taken. That said, your van excursion was great too with those terrific scenery shots your family provided and who could resist those puppies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you and Pat on that train Dorothy, you would both love it and we may take it at a later date, who knows :) The puppies for us were the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  9. Cute dogs, and magnificent mountain views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved this area, especially loved those pups :)

      Delete
  10. Another set of fabulous photos and great scenery. The puppies though are adorable. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and those puppies stole my heart. You take care too Diane, and have a great week :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!