Monday, June 18, 2018

ALASKA CRUISE - MAY 17TH, 2018 - ALL DAY ON THE SHIP - HUBBARD GLACIER



When I can remember to do it, I add this paragraph at the beginning of my vacation posts.  It is for those who don't know that we have been back home since the end of May.  I am now sharing my daily journals and photographs of our time in Alaska.  If you have missed any of them and would like to take a look, you can go to the bottom of this one and click on "Alaska Trip-May 2018".  

Thursday, May 17th, 2018 
A Day on the Ship and the Hubbard Glacier 
(A photo of Gregg on the helicopter pad.  Those green tartan blankets at the bottom of the photo were supplied by the crew as it was very chilly.)
The ship will not be calling into any ports today, and it will be taking us to see the Hubbard Glacier.  After that we will be heading to Seward where tomorrow we end our cruise and start our land tour.  

We received a reminder that we had an appointment on the helicopter pad.  It was actually an appointment with a glacier.  
Hubbard Glacier is the longest tidewater glacier in North America, and this particular stretch of 76 miles of glacier water begins at Mount Logan in Canada's Yukon, and makes its way through Alaska to the Russell Fjord Wilderness.  
The glacier was named after Gardiner Hubbard, who was a Massachusetts lawyer and educator, regent of the Smithsonian Institution and founder and first president of the National Geographic Society.
While we were there we saw big chunks of ice fall into the water.  These are called 'white thunder' by the Tlingit.
Hubbard Glacier is found in Disenchantment Bay at the end of Yakutat Bay. It is one of over 110,000 glaciers in Alaska.
Disenchantment Bay was named by the Spanish explorer Alejandro Malaspina in 1791, who was disenchanted that he had not found the Northwest Passage. 
(The close-ups of the glacier were taken by Gregg.)
As the ship enters Yakutat Bay, Hubbard Glacier can be seen from over 30 miles away.  It is 76 miles long, 6.5 miles wide and 1200 feet deep.  Its face is over 400 feet high, which is as high as a 30-40 story building.
The Malaspina Glacier is also found in Yakutat Bay.  Malaspina is a piedmont glacier, does not reach into the bay and is difficult to see from a ship, even though it is about the size of Switzerland!
It was impressive to see the ship turn around, ever so slowly in a tight circle, to give everyone on board a great view from port to starboard.
And that was our time looking at the Hubbard Glacier.  It is truly hard to put into words when you set eyes on it for the first time.  You are not quite sure what you are looking at, you know it is out there, and then the lightbulb goes off.  It leaves you speechless the closer you get.

And then we were heading out of the bay.  Not so disenchanting after all was it Alejandro?  Well, maybe in 1791 when he couldn't find the Northwest Passage.  I bet if he came back today he would be renaming it Enchanting Bay.
Cheers!



28 comments:

  1. Aren't glaciers a SPECTACULAR sight (and sound if you are there at the right time).
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to watch house sized bergs or larger drop off and by the time they get to the bottom they are ice chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Quite fascinating. What a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those glacier photos are formidable.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they were very dramatic and very powerful!

      Delete
  5. Lovely photographs of a spectacular place, Denise. Hope the noise didn't deafen you. Or perhaps, unlike the ones I have seen, it was more hush hush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie and no, it never got noisy, probably because we were some distance away.

      Delete
  6. These cruises are wonderful and eye-opening. I was on an Alaska cruise in July and was surprised to find it extremely hot in the more southern ports of call. Margerie Glacier was crumbling and melting before our eyes and I wondered how long it would be before it’s the size of an ice-cube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anchorage was very nice, I was able to wear short sleeves, and then as we sailed north it got colder. It didn't bother me because I am a cold-weather person anyway, helped by my upbringing in the UK I guess. It's getting warmer over there now though, so my friends tell me. Glad you got to enjoy that area Penelope. I have read that Hubbard continues to grow and I do hope they are right. I know that others are melting away too fast.

      Delete
  7. Hello, the glaciers are amazing. Beautiful collection of photos. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glaciers are like ice mountains aren't they? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are. This was my first sight of one and I was in total awe.

      Delete
  9. gorgeous glacier.. and all your photos show everyone always smiling with joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, you're right, no grumpy faces on that deck :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos but oh far too cold for me. I have enjoyed my virtual tour here on a nice sunnyday :-))) Thankyou. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, glad you've enjoyed the tour on your nice sunny day :) You take care too.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. One of the most beautiful I have ever seen, thank you Gosia.

      Delete
  12. Magic scenery. What a great trip but cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, it certainly was and yes it was very cold.

      Delete
  13. Looks like such a great time, cruising.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!