Wednesday, June 13, 2018

ALASKA CRUISE - MAY 2018 - LOTS OF FOOD PHOTOS HERE - SAME DAY AS OUR STOP IN SITKA



Once we returned to the ship after our walk around Sitka, our niece, nephew, Gregg and I had a late-ish lunch.  They asked if we would like to try the sushi restaurant and we readily agreed.  

Our son and daughter-in-law enjoy sushi quite a lot also.  We went to a restaurant with them a while ago, and though we don't eat sushi on a regular basis, we were able to find something that we enjoyed. This was also the case here, and it was excellent. 
We were asked by our waiter, a lovely young man, if we wanted chopsticks or a knife and fork.  We all elected to have chopsticks. 

(My niece reminded me, as I watched her deftly use hers, that I had taught her how to eat with them years ago on one of her visits, when she was a teenager. A nice memory for me, as I recollected sharing this lesson with her. I in turn had also learned how to use them from a good friend who lived in our neighborhood.  This was when we used to live in southern California.  

She used to cook the most wonderfully authentic Asian food, which was something else I was introduced to back then. I'm glad I was able to pass on the same lesson to niece, and I watched her like a proud mother hen.) 

Our young waiter told us that because we had asked for chopsticks we were now honorary ninjas, and we all chuckled considering it quite a compliment.  Okay, so I don't mind that he might say that to all his customers.  I still consider myself an honorary ninja, and it will be a fun memory every time I get the chopsticks out from now on, thanks to our very nice waiter.  He truly was lovely and made our meal even more so with his pleasant and friendly demeanor.

A few hours have now passed and we are due to meet up with the rest of the family.  We had signed up for a Progressive Meal, and were joined by two other couples, one from New Jersey and the other from Oregon.  One of the couples told us it was their 22nd cruise on this ship, and understandably well known by the crew.  
Thank you niece for taking all these super photos. 
We started off in the lounge area for drinks, and then were taken to the first restaurant for the appetizers.  Then on to another for the main course.  We also ate dessert there.  I was grateful because by that time I don't think I would have been able to move, and the only place I was going on to was our cabin.  Party-hardy folks we are not, but oh what fun that evening was.  

We are definitely novices and did not realize how much food there would be on a cruise.  I have learned from others now that this is the case.  If we ever go back, we will pace ourselves and probably eat very lightly, especially if we ever do any of these sign-up-for meals again.  

Surprisingly, with all the exercise we were getting on these excursions, and with the walking all over the ship, when we finally got back home we hadn't put any weight on.  My scale was happy as it saw me do cartwheels across the floor (well, maybe only in my head, the cartwheels I mean).  
That's about it for this post.


28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That ain't half of it William! I felt I was attending culinary school with the most elite chefs.

      Delete
  2. The only cruise I have ever been on (to Antarctica) was also very food heavy. And tempting.
    Lovely photos - and I am glad to hear you were able to keep the weight off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a cruise I would have loved to go on EC. And me too! I am having a hard enough time as it is.

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful day! I hope you didn't gain weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shockingly I didn’t. All the exercise was the key.

      Delete
  4. Wow - what a nice restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they do feed people well on cruises. I remember it well. We never went in for that sort of meal, though, and I never mastered chopsticks! Perhaps I was doing it all wrong...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old friend used to whisk eggs with her chopsticks. It always amazed me :)

      Delete
  6. Happiness and great memories. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok...i'm taking a cruise, just for the food!!

    looks like you had wonderful company!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous photos of that gorgeous FOOD. hope I did not gain just looking

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm my mouth is watering it all looks so good. I must say the only cruise we went on the food was very special. Kepp well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks delicious...I've heard from friends about the abundant and magnificent food available on cruises, though I've never taken a cruise (yet)! Looks like you all had a good time on your trip. It's fun to read about it and see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was our first cruise and hopefully not our last :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Ninja Denise.
    Appears again to have been another wonderful day with its fair share of food.
    I'm afraid me and chopsticks just don't get on.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, so happy you enjoyed this food post. You would be an honorary ninja at my table anytime John, even with a knife and fork ;)

      Delete
  12. Lovely photographs.
    I've never tried using chopsticks!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, with me it all depends on how much my hands and fingers ache.

      Delete
  13. yes, the food was definitely mouth-watering, Denise, just from the photos in this post. We enjoy using chopsticks which seem to make us eat more slowly, always a good thing! Glad your scale gave you happy news too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy, using chopsticks does make you slow down and enjoy the experience even more. My scale gave me a pat on the back because I started out well, but well you know....that food just kept on coming, lol!

      Delete
  14. Before we get started, I have to tell you that you've completed one of my dream items on my bucket list, so I literally enter contests for Alaskan Cruises all the time! My goodness, it looks like you guys had so much fun, and ate some great food! Kudos and Happy belated Mother's Day too! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RO, we did and ate more food than I can ever hope to eat again, LOL! I hope you get to experience your Alaskan Cruise one of these days.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!