Monday, July 10, 2017

THE CAPITOL BUILDING, WASHINGTON DC


We haven't been to the Capitol Building since April last year, when my brother-in-law visited.  It was nice to head that way again with Bill.   There really is no parking close by - you have to be very lucky to find something on one of the side streets.  Gregg dropped us off just across the street from the Capitol Building, and he ended up having to go back to an underground parking lot we always use when in the city.  He eventually caught up with us inside the big hall, which contains all the statues of notable people from American history.


What on earth did we do before cell phones?  I was able to text him to say that we were sitting between Kamehameha I, the first King of all Hawaii and Sakakawea, a Lemhi Shoshone lady who was very important to the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  We also saw a statue of Helen Keller, and later learned that her remains are interred inside the Washington National Cathedral where we are hoping to go later on in the week.  (You can click on any of the the red lettering to learn more.) 


 Gregg turned up 30 minutes later.  In the meantime Bill and I enjoyed watching all the hustle and bustle going by.  The photo below was taken on the same level where we entered the building, and we found an elevator to take us down.


We had booked a time for a tour and joined a line.  They are very organized.  I suppose they have to be with the amount of people who come through here each day.  It wasn't long before we were entering a theatre to watch a short historical movie.  


When the movie was finished we joined our guide who handed out headsets so that we could hear her throughout the tour.


It wasn't long before we were inside the Rotunda.  Incredible!  The first photo of Bill with the Capitol Building behind him?  That dome is where we are now, looking up.


It truly is amazing.  I could not take in all the wealth of information we were told.  I am going to be researching the building as soon as I can, for a refresher course on its history.  In the meantime here are a few photos for you. 




This statue in the photo below is of James A. Garfield, the 20th President of the United States.


This is a painting of Pocohantas being baptised.  You can read about the painting here.


The artwork inside the Capitol is amazing.  This link will take you to an interesting site with lots of information.


We walked through this doorway and down a corridor into another room.




There will be more photos at another time.  The tour was over and we thought it would be a good idea to hail a taxi to take us back to where the car was parked.  



We went to Arlington National Cemetery next, where we were able to view The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.   I read that the Tomb is guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in any weather, by Tomb Sentinels.  Sentinels, all volunteers, are considered to be the best of the elite 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), headquartered at Fort Myer, Virginia.  They do their country proud.  It is always a very moving experience to be here, and I consider it a great honor.  


This view was taken at the end of the ceremoney, when we were on the road at the bottom, looking up towards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.



35 comments:

  1. I have passed the Capitol Building so many times! Yet I have never been inside! Wow, I think my favorite pictures are of the dome. In picture 8, all around the dome...is that painting or sculptures? Such detail! There is so much to see there. The Unknown soldier tomb looks so pristine and white, not a speck of dirt on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe those are paintings Ginny. Amazing aren't they. The tomb is just as you say, pristine.

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing for me as ESL teacher is very informative

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dome is incredible. I suspect that every time you take that tour you will learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen the Capitol before, Denise, except in photos...but certainly not in such detail as you have shared here! Gorgeous photos! I love the architectural details of the building, the painting and the pillars! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I am happy you enjoyed the place :)

      Delete
  5. An interesting day all round. I'm pleased you posted all those photographs so I got the flavour of the place. Joe and I intended to go to Washington... never made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city has an abundance of photographic opportunities Valerie, and it makes me happy I can share with you what we saw.

      Delete
  6. Hello, Denise. What a wonderful tour of the Capitol building. The artwork and statues are beautiful. I love the view of the Tom of the unknown soldier. Thanks for sharing your visit. Happy Tuesday, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, you are very welcome. Happy Wednesday to you :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tour, beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is an amazing building and all that is in it. thanks for the tour, since I will never see it... those statues are really LARGE.. yet another use for cell phones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, always happy to share this fabulous building.

      Delete
  9. It's been years since I have been to D. C. but I have special memories of when we did go. It's a fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they brought back special memories Latane :)

      Delete
  10. Sakakawea is my favourite of those sculpture. I'd love to do that tour.

    Parliament Hill works on some of the same principles for tours- you stop at the visitor centre to get a timed ticket for a tour in English or French, and check your bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is beautiful William and I hope to get one of those tours in Ottawa one day :)

      Delete
  11. What an incredibly beautiful building, I had only seen it from the outside, and had no idea that the interior was so sumptuous. The dome is magnificent, and everything is so impressive. Great photos Denise, and also of the Arlington Cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Breathtaking, so happy you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  12. I get to tour so many places with you....thanks! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, we saw The Capitol building when we were in Washington but not inside. I rally appreciate this virtual tour showing us what we missed. Fabulous photos, thanks so much for sharing. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ae very welcome Diane, happy you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  14. You are sure getting the exercise with all the walking you are doing...I would love to see the capitol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly are Rose, and it seems like we are walking in a sauna :)

      Delete
  15. Your photos really brought back memories of our trip last year. What fun to see King Kamehameha's statue again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been inside the capitol building since a high school trip, obviously many years ago! Cell phones have made life more convenient in many ways, as well as a nuisance in other ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda and I agree about the cell phones but I wouldn't like to be without one now.

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed this tour through thr capital with all of you, Denise. I have never toured the Capitol in my trips to DC. Bill is certainly getting quite the tour from you and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!