Friday, July 7, 2017

MORE PHOTOS FROM THE STEVEN F. UDVAR-HAZY CENTER


A quieter day today.  Gregg has taken Bill into Washington DC for a ride around only, just to show him a few sights.  Bill enjoyed looking at many places from the passenger seat. We will be exploring further in the next day or so.



As for me I have to wait for someone who is going to be fixing wooden shutters (inside) to the kitchen windows and two bedrooms.  We ordered them several weeks ago and were hopeful they would be done before Bill arrived.  However, they said they would arrive today and I didn't want to risk any further delay.  We are slowly going through the house and having all the windows done, and we have three left to do after this.  Bill certainly didn't mind and was happy for Gregg to take him into DC.


This morning the three of us popped to our favorite grocery market.  It only takes 15 to 20 minutes to get there.  Bill said he enjoyed looking around and was fascinated with all the choices we had.  There are a lot of varieties of everything you could wish for but we live in a very large area.  The population in Fairfax County alone was 1.1 million in 2014 and it hasn't gotten any smaller!



It is my birthday tomorrow (the 8th), so I treated myself to some goodies when at the store. One such goody was a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.  I have bought them before for special occasions and I can attest to their deliciousness.  We will enjoy our main meal, and then the piece de resistance, a slice of that chocolate cake.  I might even stick a candle on the top and light it!


We have had conversations with our son this week.  He is going through a very busy spell but he and our daughter-in-law will be coming over to meet Bill soon and I am looking forward to introducing them.  


I have also been in touch with my niece in Germany.  She sent more great photos as she and her husband are visiting her cousin and family in the south east of France.  As well as photos of them all, there were also lavender fields, a sight I hope to see for myself one day.  Gregg and I love her warmth and sense of humor.  Her cousin is the same and the times we have been with them both, there is always a whole lot of laughter, so much so that our faces ache at the end of an evening.  We are sowing the seeds for getting together early next year.  I will be counting the days.


More photos from the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum above.   Below a nice leisurely meal of shrimp fuesli in pasta sauce with summer squash, prepared by Chef Gregg, (ice-cream for dessert) and a glass of Chardonnay.   Cheers Bill!



Almost time to go upstairs.  Gregg and Bill enjoyed their quick tour around Washington DC.  Sorry, no pictures.  Well, they didn't have the snap-happy fanatic along with them did they?   Yes I am smiling.  This was just reconoitering the city for a future trip whenever we decide to go in.


Two nice chaps turned up with the shutters/blinds and they did a splendid job. The kitchen looks like it has had a bit of a face-lift, and so do the two bedrooms upstairs.  I am very pleased.

We have spent another very pleasant day enjoying conversations on many topics, and look forward to many more.  

Tomorrow we are heading out to Skyline Drive.



34 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday for tomorrow.
    Have a truly wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live just under the Skyline Drive! It is a long road! It turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway. Happy Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day! Seeing Discovery up close is something else...it looks all patched up. What is this huge grocery store you are in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny. The Discovery is amazing to look at. There are scorch marks and it is made up of what looks like tiles. Hard to comprehend that it has been in Space. The supermarket we visited was Wegmans :)

      Delete
  3. Wow .beautiful post my friend!.
    Happy birthday in advance but believe me I can see less than sixty pretty and sweet lady in this photo.
    You look stunning and I am glad that you guys are having fun together. Hopefully next year will be the same.
    Just like you I too have desire to see the Europe and hopefully I will soon
    You have dear Loved ones around the world that is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you baili, very appreciative of your kind comments :) I look forward to hearing about your travels next year.

      Delete
  4. 'It is my birthday tomorrow (the 8th)' ... hee hee, I thought you were older than that. Happy Birthday, Denise, it's the 8th here - am I in front of you or behind with dates? Good luck with the shutter fitting. I bet the men will be glad they are out of the way and enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the 8th just like you. Happy Birthday to you Sweet Lady :). Not far from midnight here and early morning your way so I am a bit late with my birthday greetings. Sorry about that. Shutters done and the men enjoyed their trip into the city :)

      Delete
    2. Oops.... so sorry, Denise. It isn't or wasn't my birthday. Serves me right for misleading you. I read 'the 8th' as your age!!!! You see at 83 years of age it pays to pretend! Of course I knew you were older than 8 but was trying to be funny. My deepest heartfelt apologies.

      Delete
    3. Okay Valerie and no apologies needed whatsover. It's just as likely that my brain was going to beddy-by as we have had some fun days this past week and I've found myself nodding off a few times. My funny bone must have gone by-by too, lol!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it nice to be able to connect with family you never met. I was thinking just how nice it is to have daily contact with family that live in other states via facebook! Social Media can be a great thing. But I think it would be really cool to meet family I have that I have never met.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those helicopters.. and Happy Birthday ... I can tell you are all having fun with Bill.... sometime when you have time, let us see your new shutters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, awesome pic's from the museum and of your cousin and Gregg. Happy Birthday to you. The cake sounds yummy. I have been wanting to go to Skyline Drive too have fun.
    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. Hope you get to Skyline Drive soon :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday! The museum shots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to you, dear friend! This is a totally fascinating place! I enjoyed this tour very much. I love all your photos and posts. You are a busy lady, and I appreciate you sharing your adventures and tours! Enjoy your birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, you are very, very welcome :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Denise. I had been wanting to shop in a Wegmans for many years. And last year they built a new one about a half hour away! I LOVE it!!! It's my favorite grocery store for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you have one nearby Ginny. It is a fun place to shop isn't?

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Denise, and how much more special this year to have Bill celebrate with you and your family! Glad the window shutter guys arrived so now you can join Bill 7 Gregg on more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy. We had more adventures today and will write about them when I can.

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday!!!! I like the idea of shutters on the windows inside...have thought about them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose :) I am enjoying them, they look very nice.

      Delete
  13. Belated birthday wishes.
    Shutters inside sound odd to me as of course all ours are outside. But they made such a difference to our lives,I sleep so much better with shutters closed and windows open. Lets in the air but keeps out the light.
    Lovely photos. Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane :) I remember my sister's house having the outside shutters in Norway when it was summer time. They worked so well I kept oversleeping.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday, Denise. Wishing you many, many happy and healthy years together with your hubby. Looking forward for more photos from showing Bill around. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nancy :) I hope you had a wonderful weekend also.

      Delete
  15. Hi Denise and I will follow with a Happy birthday, have a super time. The Center appears to be a wonderful place to visit, Discovery is so big, always amazing as to what it did over the years. All the best , John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John and it always amazes me the power it must take to get them off the ground. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  16. Hello Denise!:) Happy belated birthday, and many more happy years to come.:) It was Americo's 85th birthday on the 2nd, but we only celebrated it at our house this Saturday, when all the family could be together. How lovely for you that your cousin was there to celebrate yours with you.

    Great shots of the The Air and Space Museum, a great place to show your cousin. I'm sure he appreciates all the places you are showing him, and it will be nice to see more photos of his visit.

    I'm glad your shutters arrived. We have some outside, and some inside, and they are invaluable during the summer months when it's hot outside.
    Have a wonderful time with your cousin. Take care Denise!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Breathtaking, It was a lovely birthday :). And a belated Happy Birthday to Americo.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!