Friday, July 14, 2017

MOUNT VERNON - GEORGE WASHINGTON'S HOME


This morning off we went to Mount Vernon, 
the home of George Washington


There had been a condensed movie on Washington's military and political life near the museum, which also showed how he had met Martha.  Gregg took a photo of us with George, Martha and their grandchildren.  These are statues that show their actual height.


We had a very leisurely walk along a path shaded by large trees.  Gregg had gotten us tickets for an 11.45 a.m. showing around the house.  


He must have been very hot in that outfit even in the shade, but I thought he looked great.


We actually took a shortened walk around the house, first floor only.  There is air-conditioning of a sorts but there were so many people making their way through the house.  We decided to do the ground floor only.  I remembered how steep the steps were coming down and there looked like there was a person on each step. It seemed way too much of a crush.  Instead we were very happy to sit outside on the veranda.


By this time there was actually a nice breeze cooling us off, just a little.


This link will take you to a very nice website that shows you what the inside of Mount Vernon looks like.  As a matter of interest, in the central hall you will find the Key to the Bastille, given to George Washington by the Marquis de Lafayette in 1790.  This was after the destruction of this infamous prison in Paris.  As today is actually Bastille Day, I thought our French blogging friends might be interested. To see this key you need to scroll down the page a bit.


You cannot take photos inside the house but I remember one of the staff telling me that I could take them in the kitchen.  


Now this is a memory from our last visit, and I am hoping they didn't change the rules.  There was no one in this room to say no.


It was a very nice visit indeed.










When we were finished looking at the house, we made our way back to the Mount Vernon Inn Tavern for lunch.  We separated briefly at this point, as I had wanted to make a quick stop in the garden (photos at a later date), while Bill and Gregg made their way back to the museum.  They had wanted to take a look around and I was eager to look at the garden.  On the far side you can see the greenhouse but it was locked.  Just as well really as this was supposed to be a short stop.


This is the room where we sat waiting for our table at the tavern.  It took about 20 minutes to be seated.  Full of pretty paintings and elegant, comfortable seating.


We were shown a table in one of the larger dining areas.


I always enjoy the colonial style murals on the walls.


Bill enjoyed his fish of the day meal. 


I had a fried green tomato-avocado sandwich, with home-made potato chips and a side of potato salad.  (I had to take half the sandwich home and all of the potato salad.  We had ordered a cup of peanut and chestnut soup for a starter, and also the cornbread which I remembered being really excellent.  Bill ordered a vegetable soup/soup of the day.  No photos of any of these.)


Gregg ordered a grilled grouper sandwich with coleslaw.


The food was yummy and the staff were friendly, a delightful experience for the three of us.


We decided not to go anywhere else after Mount Vernon, and went straight home.  It was about 3.00 p.m.  Later Gregg took Bill out as he needed to pick up a couple of items for traveling.  We only have one day left before he leaves, and that makes me a little sad.



30 comments:

  1. I have never been here. It is so interesting hat the statues are the same height as they really were! I love the beautiful mural in the restaurant. I agree completely with your choice to tour only the first floor, then sit on the porch! Now on to that blue thing on the house's kitchen table. It looks so out of place, and is a mystery item to me. What IS it? I love the sunflower arrangement!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginnie, we found that interesting about the height of the statues also. Sitting on the porch was a good choice for us. We have decided to go back in the Fall when it is less crowded, and hot! I wish I could tell you what that blue thing is. As I took the photo on the fly I didn't have time to notice everything on the table. It intrigues me. The sunflower arrangement that was in the tavern was gorgeous. I remember them having something similar the last time we were there.

      Delete
  2. yes,we had the special meal at this place. it's one of the things I won' forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know you have been to the same place, and that it was a good experience.

      Delete
  3. Denise, the food looks and sounds delicious! It looks like you are making the best of this visit and getting to see many things! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thank you and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  4. it is a lovely place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear that you and Gregg have made a firm friend in Bill. I am sure you will see each other again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so EC, this has been a wonderful time with Bill.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely day out although the crowds and heat sounded a little taxing. Terrific photos. The house is beautiful and so big for those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane :) I agree about the house for the day, and yes it was hot and crowded. I'm looking forward to going back in the cooler months, probably in the Fall.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the interesting tour. I enjoyed all the photos and the food looks good too! I am sure Bill enjoyed his stay with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Nancy, and thank you :) It was a great pleasure to show Bill around.

      Delete
  8. Another wonderul day out with lots to see in beautiful surrounding. Look forward to seeing the garden images. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I will do a post on the garden soon.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a nice visit to Mt Vernon. I've never been so I'll go look at the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I am sure Bill has enjoyed all the places you have taken him. Mount Vernon is a beautiful tour. The restaurant is nice and the food look delicious. Great post and photos. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, we all enjoyed the place. Happy week to you :)

      Delete
  11. lovely pics of the whole place and I did not know Washington was tall.. I did know Martha ws tiny. when I saw Bill on the sofa waiting, it reminded me when Daddy first got dementia, my 2 friends went with me to visit him in Savannah, they wanted to see the old houses on the squares. we took daddy with us. I heard a shriek and it was the docent because daddy sat on a 300 year old chair, it had ropes around it, but did not matter to him.. we took him out of there right away. I love the kitchen, and that big fireplace is why the 2nd cause of death for women back then was fire, there long skirts dragged in those huge fireplace and burned them. childbirth was number one. got that from a docent here at Gamble mansion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I thought these statues were a great visual as regards to their height. Sweet story about your daddy. I can just see in my mind’s eye that docent’s reaction. How awful about the fireplace. Puts it in a different perspective as I have always secretly loved the big old fireplaces since I was a child and saw them back in England. Never thought of the danger to those ladies with the long skirts.

      Delete
  12. I'm sure Bill has has a wonderful time visiting with you and Gregg, he has sure been to see a lot of things on this trip.

    George Washington was a big man if that statue is his actual height, the different things we find on trips like this are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feeling was mutual Jimmy, we had a wonderful time showing Bill around. I agree, we may have been here many times over the years, but I am always learning something new.

      Delete
  13. Washington was quite a tall man!

    I would like to see Mount Vernon for myself someday.

    I remember an exhibit here some years back on the French and Indian War that included a letter written by Washington. It was interesting to look at his handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be very interested in reading that letter from Washington. Hope you get there one day.

      Delete
  14. Hi Denise, always seems such a short time when people visit but you have certainly packed some visits in with Bill, he must have had a wonderful time. All the best to you all. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, one of the many wonderful things that happens when you have visitors, is that you get to have a refresher course on all the great places around here. We have really enjoyed them again. You're right, the time went very fast. All the best to you too, Denise :)

      Delete
  15. This is absolutely one of my favorite historic homes, ever, and as George Washington is a favorite President, I have enjoyed visiting there many times. Unfortunately, it is always so overcrowded with people, you are rushed through, and can't really enjoy the house fully. I actually almost got a job there as we considered moving to the D.C. area at one point. I even interviewed. But my husband was having trouble finding work in the area, and since the cost of living is so high we knew we couldn't survive on just my salary for any length of time, so we didn't make the move. I really would have LOVED it though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a very interesting job Marie but I know all the pros and cons of living here. I am hoping when we go back the crowds will have lessened some.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!