Friday, January 26, 2024

VIGELAND SCULPTURE PARK, NORWAY IN JUNE 2014

I chose a post from my old blog today. I noticed some familiar names in the comments over there, so you may remember it if you visited back then. I hope you will enjoy a revisit. For those of you who are new to my blog since then, I hope you enjoy. 

In 2014 we visited Norway. My photos show the fountain at Vigelund Park in Oslo.  You can read all about it at this link.  There are also other pages you can visit if you click on the ‘menu’ button top right.  It was an extraordinary park dedicated to the sculptures of Gustav Vigeland. I have included a link to his biography here.  At this website I learned that he is also the designer of the Nobel Peace Prize Medal

Its description reads: "Beyond the Bridge, the path continues through a rose garden to the Fountain, the earliest sculpture unit in the park.


In the center of the basin six giants hold the large saucer-shaped vessel aloft and from it a curtain of water spills down around them. The men, representing different ages, may be interpreted as toiling with the burden of life.


Water, a universal symbol of fertility, is used within the fountain complex in a meaningful juxtaposition with the twenty tree groups on the surrounding parapet, the latter evidently symbolizing "the tree of life".


The tree groups represent a romantic expression of man's relationship to nature. They also form the setting for life's evolving stages, stretching from childhood and adolescence through adulthood to old age and death."



This is one of those times where photos don't do it justice.  It is an amazing sight when looking with one's own eyes.














We experienced a lot of rain showers on this day, then there was sunshine, followed by a torrential downpour.  However, it soon subsided and as wet as we were, it was still a very interesting and enjoyable walk around this beautiful park.  The sculptures were magnificent.  


Across the road there is a museum containing all the original casts of the sculptures we saw outside.  




Here's a map. I have added an arrow pointing to the location of the park.  


Another map showing Norway and the countries nearby.


Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed this very famous park. I had a great time seeing all the photos again.

Stay warm, or stay cool wherever you are in the world.







42 comments:

  1. Wow. Well, I think the baby tree is my favorite. And the wavy curly look of the water in some of the photos. What a spectacular place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very spectacular place and I remember the fountain towering over me. It was incredible! :)

      Delete
  2. How lucky you are to have visited Norway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and her family lived there for several years and I was very lucky to visit them once before they moved on. On this occasion we were with Gregg's father whose roots are in Norway and he wanted to go back to the area where his family were from. It was an amazing trip :)

      Delete
  3. The fountains are just beautiful, always love to see different one Denise.
    Left a reply on my blog after your comment, an answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I love fountains also and I agree with you. Thank you for the reply to my question. I will pop over soon :)

      Delete
  4. What an incredible place. Thank you for revisiting its splendours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue, and so glad you enjoyed the place :)

      Delete
  5. You are showing a part of the world that I would not have visited before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same for me if it were not for my sister and brother-in-law's invitation, and also my husband's father's wish to see Norway and the area his ancestors came from :)

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous place to visit. Truly amazing. Those fountains are so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are Ann, the museum was amazing too :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise,
    It does look like a wonderful place to visit. I love the water fountains, they are lovely.
    Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, thank you and you have a great day and happy weekend also :)

      Delete
  8. This is fun, Denise. I rarely see images from the Scandinavian countries and Oslo looks lovely. It must have been a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Jeanie, thank you :) It was a beautiful city, all of the freeways are built in tunnels going under the city. They did that because they wanted the city streets to be very habitable and easier to get around, no congestion.

      Delete
  9. it is a lovely sight to see and I am sure like you said, much better seen and heard in person. the museum is amazing. thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sandra and thank you for yours :) Yes, it was all amazing to see. I was in total awe of the place.

      Delete
  10. It is an interesting country! We've watched a few Norwegian shows. Such a different culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so and I have enjoyed a few Norwegian shows also. I do enjoy finding out about people around the world. We met many very hospitable people in Norway.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photo's, thanks for sharing. What a coincidence, I went to a Seniors travel business yesterday as they have a trip going to Demark, Norway and Sweden, however, it is very popular, and I can see why. I am on a waiting list, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked this visit and thank you :) How lovely it would be if you were able to go. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and toes :)

      Delete
  12. I love looking at sculptures. I especially loved the one of children hanging from and climbing up a centerpiece. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Gigi, one of my favorite pastimes. What I would really love to do is watch the process where these sculptures take shape :)

      Delete
  13. We lived in Norway when I was very young. I would love to go back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Pamela, I would have enjoyed living there for a few years, as my sister and her family did :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, Denise, how very beautiful and symbolic this fountain is! I love the photos of the splashing down of the waters. Thank you for sharing this very special place with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always taken with the symbolism of such things Martha Ellen, always a story there of great interest. You are very welcome, and I am happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  15. I appreciate that you included maps of where you were. What amazing sculptures and your photos are wonderful. Thanks for the repost. I had not seen this before. Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen :) I have always loved the maps people include in their posts as I am always trying to improve and refresh my geography even now. Delighted that you found them interesting.

      Delete
  16. So glad you shared this again! This is really full of beautiful photographs, especially if the fountain! Aloha friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful and very much appreciate your comment, thank you and Aloha to you also my friend :)

      Delete
  17. This is a lovely post, the photographs are amazing.
    I've never visited Norway, my parents did a Fiord Cruise there some years ago now and really enjoyed it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. Your parents Fiord Cruise must have been incredible! All the best :)

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful place! I would love to visit Norway one day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How my gosh! This is so cool! We were there too! We didn't get to go to the museum though. Thank you for sharing this. It was a lot of fun to remember the fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful Kay, I am very happy you saw this incredible park, and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  20. The fountain and sculptures are amazing. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, so glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!