Tuesday, January 30, 2024

RANDOM PHOTO OF A PLANT - WESTERN SKUNK CABBAGE


 I remember taking this photo on a road trip in the northwest, location not remembered for the time being. The following information came from this website:

"Its common name, skunk Cabbage, refers to the skunk-like odor of the sap which draws flies as pollinators. 

"Lysichitum" combines the Greek words "lysis" meaning loosening, and "chiton" meaning tunic, in reference to the large spathe or large bract enclosing the flower cluster. 

The spike of the Skunk Cabbage consists of minute flowers surrounded by a large yellow bract open on one side. The spike grows on a stout stalk in a cluster of giant, erect leaves.

It is an early spring flower which inhabits wet woods, stream banks and bogs.

The Skunk Cabbage is edible but has a concentration of crystals of calcium oxalate which can produce a stinging, burning sensation in the mouth when chewed raw. By roasting and drying the root, native Americans were able to use this plant. The young green leaves can be eaten but must be boiled in several changes of water. Even these repeated boilings may not remove its stinging properties. 

The Skunk Cabbage is related to taro, the staple food of the Polynesians. It also contains crystals of calcium oxalate. 

Members of the Arum family have been used throughout the world by many different native peoples. Through trial and error, they have discovered that drying or heating removes those stinging properties of these plants. 

Skunk Cabbage is also eaten by black bears."

I found it an interesting plant.  I hope you did too.


Thanks for looking and 

enjoy the rest of your week.







24 comments:

  1. It is a very interesting plant. I did not know any of this, and don't think I have ever seen one. Did you smell this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) It is interesting and no I didn't smell it. If I remember correctly, it was in a flower bed and I didn't want to trample on any other plants, so I used my zoom lens.

      Delete
  2. Sure sounds very interesting Denise. Haven't heard of that plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, it was the first time I had seen one too :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this. I love that the first peoples found ways to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) I am always very interested in how these plants and flowers were used back in the early days, for medicinal purposes too.

      Delete
  4. I do love taro but not sure if they taste similar once roasted. Maybe the plant can be used as laxatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. I have only ever tried taro once when we visited Hawaii years ago, such a nice memory. I can't really remember what it tasted like though.

      Delete
  5. How interesting. I don't think I would want to eat it, no matter how many times it had been boiled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't either Ann, not too keen on anything that isn't out of the vegetable aisle that I don't recognize :) Always interested though as I watch some YouTube videos of people who do this kind of thing which I find fascinating.

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    We have some skunk cabbage growing around our lake. I did not know the bears like to eat it. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that interesting too, thanks Eileen :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting information, Denise. I always wonder how folks tried and tried to make a plant edible. I have no idea to the extent people hunted to find food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you thought so Martha Ellen :) Another thing I am interested in is when people forage for wild mushrooms. I know you have to be really careful with those. I don't have the know-how. When I was young the greengrocer used to sell wild field mushrooms that were as big flat plates. I still have the memory of how delicious they were after mother cooked them.

      Delete
  8. my first viewing of the skunk cabbage. I don't eat plants, unless it is something I KNOW is ok, like turnips, mustard, collards, NO TO KALE, ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale was new to me when I first got married and have only recently learned that you have to massage them. I laughed but yes, that's what the top chefs say too :)

      Delete
  9. I’ve seen it growing and it does smell bad. I did not know it was related to taro. Native Americans also made acorns edible by soaking repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about the acorns too Linda, thanks for that information :)

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of skunk cabbage! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!