Monday, January 15, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - MARTIN LUTHER KING JR'S BIRTHDAY AND A RUSTIC TOMATO AND VEGETABLE SOUP, PLUS A SNOW DAY

I put this post together over a week ago and at the time I didn't realize Dr. King's birthday would be today also. I added this a little before noon. Here in America we are observing the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. It is a federal holiday and I am sharing a link to his biography. Below is a picture I found online of his memorial in Washington DC.  Happy Birthday Dr. King!
(picture from pixabay.com)

 It snowed today, not a heavy one. The flakes will fall for another hour and stop, according to our weather forecast people. We will have more snow on Wednesday and will have to wait to see what that brings.  Soup will be very welcome. 
I found this week's recipe at Lexi's Clean Kitchen.  You can see the original recipe at this link. It is a delicious soup, and we made a few changes which I have mentioned below. I always recommend visiting the website, for all the other great recipes offered, but also to see the tips left for this one.

Rustic Tomato Vegetable Soup

Serves 6 - Calories in a 1 bowl serving: approximately 88

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 carrots finely diced

2 celery stalks, finely diced

1-½ teaspoons fine sea salt

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

¼ cup tomato paste

1 28 oz. can organic diced tomatoes

3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, more as needed

2 cups diced green beans, about 1” pieces

1 large russet potato, peeled and diced

2 cups cauliflower florets, diced

1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained (optional)

Big handful of baby spinach

Grated Parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)


Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Once hot, add onion and garlic.  Cook for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften.

Add in carrots and celery.  Let cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Stir occasionally.

Add in salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, tomato paste and diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.

Add in broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. 

Add in green beans, potato, cauliflower and kidney beans and let simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.

Add in spinach and let simmer until cooked through. Add in more broth for desired soup consistency.

Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve warm with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, if desired.

An excellent soup, it tasted delicious!  

Lexi mentioned it was easy to substitute to your own vegetable medley or make additions. We used sweet peas instead of green beans, garbanzo beans instead of kidney beans and I added a portion of frozen spinach instead of fresh spinach. I didn't measure this out, just filled a small bowl and put the contents into the pot.

When cooking the vegetables, the potatoes and cauliflower weren't done as much as I would like, so I added another 5 minutes to their cooking time, 30 minutes instead of 25. You might find them perfect, just up to our own personal taste, so best to check. 

I didn't use chicken or vegetable broth.  I already had a container of already opened beef broth in the fridge used in a recipe from the day before. When using beef broth I usually add a cup of red wine at the same time as the broth if I have it available.

I also stirred in 1-1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes.  Gregg thought an extra tablespoon on that amount should be added next time.  We both constructively critique what we make, always.  We actually find that it not only helps to improve the dish, it also adds to the fun of cooking together.  

I had half a packet of frozen cheese tortellini and added that towards the end of the cooking time.

This is a great soup for using what you have in your pantry, fridge or freezer. Additions and substitutions of course alter the amount of calories, and you would have to adjust if you are watching such things.

There were leftovers for another day, and also for freezing. 

You can store in fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

If you are going to freeze, put portions into your freezer-safe containers. I have a supply of 1 cup, 2 cup and four-cup sizes. Just let the soup cool completely before putting in the freezer. You can freeze it up to three months. When ready to serve again, fully defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove until warmed through.

Here is the full address if you prefer to copy and paste.

https://lexiscleankitchen.com/rustic-vegetable-tomato-soup/


I think that's all but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the comment section.







48 comments:

  1. So warming and comforting, especially at this time of year. And versatile to be adjusted to our own tastes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, very much so, a great meal for changing things around :)

      Delete
  2. It is an easy to make recipe. Thank you. Doing it tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Roentare, I do hope you like it :)

      Delete
  3. That looks really warming and tasty...perfect for snowy weather we have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was :) I am making another soup later on. Hopefully that will turn out as well.

      Delete
  4. Great soup recipe, I always love a good tomato soup. Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, one of my favorite combinations is a tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich :) You take care and have a great week also.

      Delete
  5. This looks really good. That would hit the spot on a cold winter day. And with only 80 calories you could have seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely and yes the calories were what caught my eye first :)

      Delete
  6. I used to love this, along with a grilled cheese sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great. I love a good tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I can smell the aroma! sounds good to me. i need crackers or bread to go with the soup. the good thing about soup is they can all use different substitutes, mother always called hers, what ever is left in the fridge soup. we never knew what would be in it, even left over rice appeared in soups. she taught me when there was only one serving of any veggetable left over, to put it in a container and freeze. each time she added more and when it was full we had soups. always with tomato base because daddy grew so many tomatoes there were dozens of jars of canned tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than coming from a cold chilly and snowy day to this aroma :) Love your mother's name for it, so true! You know, I haven't thought of putting rice in a soup lately, thanks for the reminder. I will add that when we take what we have saved in the freezer. How wonderful it would be to make soup out of home-grown tomatoes!

      Delete
  9. Looks so yummy and hearty! 😋
    Thanks for the recipe, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Veronica Lee, so glad you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  10. Great recipe that would be easy to add or change some of the ingredients. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was also a soup weekend in our home, Denise, and mine was a minestrone which sounded very similar to yours. The "base" was sautéed onions, garlic, carrots and celery with add-ins of canned diced tomatoes and vegetable broth and Italian spices. I also added diced zucchini and cannelloni beans, like yourself, and used frozen green beans and frozen spinach as we didn't have any fresh veggies, added pasta was ditalini. Yes, to adding grated cheese on top at serving and enjoying with a homemade panini sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sounds wonderful Dorothy, I'll have to remember those ingredients for next time :)

      Delete
  12. Good time of the year to make soup. I used to make veggie soup a lot and have gotten out of the habit. In part because I rarely have left overs anymore. I've trimmed how much I cook for a meal, but a good hearty soup on a cold ugly day is always a good idea. Popped in from a mutual friends blog. It's always fun to meet new bloggers.
    <a href="https://travelingsuitcase.blogspot.com/2024/01/day-8-continue-edinburgh-military-tattoo.html>Sandy</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog and I know what you mean Sandy, cutting down would be a sensible thing to do but we always enjoy leftovers and then it's the freezer. Thank you for including the link. I enjoyed your post about the tattoo and look forward to coming back :)

      Delete
  13. Super zupa na zimowy obiad. Udanego tygodnia.życzę🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję! Cieszę się, że mój przepis na zupę przypadł Ci do gustu :)

      Delete
  14. Your tomato soup sounds perfect on this cold Winter day, Denise. And I think a little bit of parmesan sprinkled on top adds something. Have a blessed week in the new year.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri, and you have a blessed week also :)

      Delete
  15. Sounds yummy, will try when making soup again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great looking recipe and tips, too. Happy MLKjr Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I added Dr. King to my blog post :)

      Delete
  17. That soup sounds (and looks!) perfect for the slightly snowy but rather cold Monday!! I'm planning pasta for tonight - which is also comforting - but soup just sounds yummy. Hmmm - Keep warm and cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer and oh my goodness, pasta sounds wonderful too. You keep warm and cozy too :)

      Delete
  18. Wow, that is a very impressive memorial to MLK. I have never seen it before.
    The soup looks delicious and on my list to try after No Spend January is over. Thanks for sharing the link to Lexi's bog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? I have always thought it was an amazing memorial. Glad you like the look of my recipe :) and you are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  19. That soup looks delicious.
    It's definitely soup weather here in the UK.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading about your weather over there Jan, stay warm :)

      Delete
  20. Your snow looks lovely on your deck, Denise. And a perfect recipe for this kind of weather. The great thing about soup is cleaning out the fridge and loving the results. I enjoyed hearing your additions and comments. Also the fact that you both critique your trial recipes sounds like fun. I hope you are enjoying the snow in the warmth of your home, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I have more snow photos to share soon. Happy you like the look of the soup and yes it's very good for cleaning out the fridge before the next shopping day. We don't take ourselves too seriously and it's always fun to have one of our constructive conversations after each meal. Very rarely we make one that doesn't suit either of our tastes, but it happens occasionally. Other times we make meals that exceed our expectations and that's always a win. We are safely tucked inside as we watch the snow outside. More tomorrow and I'm guessing you will have the same so stay safe and warm inside my friend :)

      Delete
  21. Keep warm as I'm sure you will. The snow looks good on the deck there. The soup sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, we are. I expect you are having lovely weather in Tasmania :)

      Delete
  22. Soup is good in winter. The Memorial is impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!