Wednesday, January 31, 2024

AN OLD ROAD TRIP TO BANDON, OREGON IN 2009

One of my old posts from the blog I started in April 2008 and closed in 2015. 
This rocky beach is in Bandon, Oregon. In the photo above you can just make out a figure walking along the beach with a dog. We met that lady earlier along a back road walking to this beach. We had just stopped at one place and she told us that there was a much better lookout further ahead, that it would be worth our time to stop. She was right. It was incredible and we were very grateful to her for pointing us in this direction. While taking photos we spotted them quite a distance ahead. The only other people we saw were a couple taking photos. We were very lucky with the weather. It stopped raining long enough for us to take in this magnificent view.


This area is famous for Face Rock. There is a local legend that you will find in more detail at this link.  It's rather sad as many legends are but below is a more condensed version. It has been passed on from one generation to another but is now written down so that the story will always be there for anyone to read. It is a very good thing that these old stories will be there for future generations. So very important to its people, the continuation of sharing their beliefs, their cultures, their legends, and may it always be so.  If you look at the rock on its right, you might be able to recognize the side profile of a face, forehead, eyes, nose, lips and chin, as if a face is staring up at the sky.  Those geological layers that stand out in the photo could almost be like tears. 
"Legend has it (from the Nah-So-Mah tribe) that Ewanua, a beautiful Indian princess was visiting tribes along the coastline with her father, Chief Siskiyou. While the local tribes lived in constant fear of Seatka, the evil spirit of the ocean, Ewanua and the other members of her mountain-born tribe, held no fear of the evil one.  Following a great feast set in celebration of their visit, Euwana carried her pets (one dog and a mother cat and her kittens) out to the edge of the sea with her before swimming far out from shore.
All of a sudden, a fearsome creature grabbed her, and Komax, her dog, fearing for Ewanua's life swam out into the dark water and bit Seatka. Hurt and furious with the animal, Seatka kicked off the dog and threw it, along with the cat and her kittens, out into the sea. Filled with rage over losing her beloved pets and knowing the power that lay in Seatka's eyes, Ewanua from then on, refused to look directly at him. Today, she lies in the ocean, looking skyward, continuing her refusal to look into Seatka's eyes, who sits nearby. Her beloved Komax, her cat and the kittens lie to the west of her, waiting in vain for their mistress to arise from the cold ocean."

The maps below all show Bandon, Oregon.  
The rocks mentioned in the story are at the bottom left of the map.
This is a larger version showing the whole state, marked by the dotted line. The state of Washington is above, and the state of California is below. Bandon is the red marker.
One more map showing Bandon, Oregon's location on the USA map.




40 comments:

  1. What a story! Cat & Kittens rock, and I wonder where and who thought this up. The rocks are so cool. At first I thought they were small, until I saw them in perspective with the person, who is as tiny as an ant beside them!! I love having the map so I can see where it is on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or how long the stories and legends are told? Many generations with some I believe. Glad you liked the maps. Margaret from Tasmania shares them also, and I thought what a great idea. Love improving my geography and even refreshing what I may have forgotten here.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful beach - and a VERY sad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, very sad. The beach I hope to get back to one day :)

      Delete
  3. The First Nations People have great stories to explain phenomena. They do here too. Love the views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do and all are fascinating stories. I enjoy reading about them in other countries also, such as yours.

      Delete
  4. These rocks are looking so fantastic! I would linger in the area for days or weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe that they have been shaped by the elements also :) I would like to spend more time there. When we were traveling, we only stayed for a day. Next time we will take things slower.

      Delete
  5. The Oregon coast is beautiful, I would like to go back and visit the coastline. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Eileen and thank you. You take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  6. Whoever made up this legend, it's a genius. People love stories like this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing story, very evocative! I agree with you :)

      Delete
  7. How very lovely, Denise! The coastline is gorgeous and the Native American story is quite symbolic. Thank you for sharing this very interesting place on Coos Bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, and you are very welcome :) So glad you found it so. It's a beautiful coastline!

      Delete
  8. now that is a story.. what a beautiful place and i can see why the woman likes to walk the dog there, no humans to bother her and her dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, and what a great place to walk your dog. Just walk for that matter. Next time and I am hoping we are going to get back one day, we are going to take that walk :(

      Delete
  9. Including the people (and the dog) in your photos show how tall and large those rocks are! What a beautiful coastline!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We really need to take the time to explore the Oregon coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would both love it I'm sure Pamela, I can highly recommend Oregon.

      Delete
  11. It looks so bleak and cold, Denise. The beach and ocean in Hawaii are much brighter and sunnier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your feelings about Hawaii Gigi :) But I see the beauty of this area even when it is like this. I suppose it's because I grew up with similar sights in the wintertime. Always love looking out at a stormy see also.

      Delete
  12. Awww! What a sad story!
    Poor animals...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Legends and ancient stories are often filled with sadness, but I do love the rocky coastline. Thanks for sharing the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Carol. There are lessons in those stories if we look for them The coastline is unbelievably beautiful! :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  15. An area to relax and breathe... wonderful.
    I like it very much and would like to spend a longer time there.
    Thank you very much.
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, and thank you. I send many greetings to you also :)

      Delete
  16. What a story that is. How fascinating. I can see a face in that rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a fascinating story and the more I looked at the rock, the more I saw the face :)

      Delete
  17. Thanks for sharing this previous post from the Oregon Coast. I would love to spend some time on a coast. I love the beach in winter. That's a long way done the coast and those rocks are fabulous. I appreciate that you included the maps of the location and the rocks, too. Very cool. The Oregon coast is probably the closest coast we could get to easily from where we live. Or at least I think it is. I'll have to do some more research on that. Happy Wednesday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, it's one of my favorite times of the year to spend on the beach. It's very picturesque out there, and the rock formations are almost unearthly. We can thank Margaret in Tasmania, when she does hers I always think what a great idea :)

      Delete
  18. Bandon is my favorite place on the Oregon Coast -- beautiful views, quiet but interesting little coastal town, and it's a little warmer on the South Coast than closer to where we live-- what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Sallie, so nice to know you have been there yourself. Most definitely, what's not to love? :) I remember a little coffee house there that we visited. It only added to this very pleasant experience.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!