Thursday, May 30, 2019

A POEM BY...

Rita Dove  

I saw this on a wall in Charlottesville, when we were driving around town.  I was in the passenger seat and saw that it was writing, but didn't actually see that it was a poem until I got back that night and read it on a larger screen.  I really liked this poem.


"Back when the earth was new
and heaven just a whisper,
back when the names of things
hadn't had time to stick;

back when the smallest breezes 
melted summer into autumn
when all the poplars quivered
sweetly in rank and file...

the world called, and I answered.
Each glance ignited to a gaze.
I caught my breath and called that life,
swooned between spoonfuls of lemon sorbet

I was pirouette and flourish,
I was filigree and flame.
How could I count my blessings
when I didn't know their names?

Back when everything was still to come,
luck leaked out everywhere.
I gave my promise to the world,
and the world followed me here."


You can learn more about Rita Dove here.

22 comments:

  1. Hello, it is a lovely poem. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and happy day to you also.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. She does write beautifully I agree. Thanks Christine.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever seen a poem on a wall like this. good idea dn it is a beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever seen one like that either but I am glad I saw it as I love the poem.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this poem and the link to Rita Dove, it was interesting to learn more about her.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to learn of her lovely poetry. Thanks Jan, all the best to you too.

      Delete
  5. It is delightful and some phrases will stay with me.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is right underneath that huge mural, did you see it? Sometimes trees can cover most of it up. I watched them paint it, and plan to post it sometime. BUT I never got to read the poem!! Now we are each two halves...you have the poem and I have the matching mural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say I saw the mural Ginny but I missed it and discovered it later when I was researching the poem on the wall. Was it because it was obscured by the roof of our car as we were driving by and I just happened to look up and see the writing? Maybe but I am surprised I didn't see it. I certainly saw the poem and I am glad that you have photos of the mural at least, another reason for me to go back. I hope you will share the mural sometime :)

      Delete
  7. Rita Dove's poem is a good one. Thank you for sharing her lovely thoughts. I'll look for her other work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. I love this phrase "back when the smallest breezes
    melted summer into autumn"...

    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty. Thank you for sharing this, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Kay, glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!