Sunday, May 26, 2019

FINISHING A WALK AROUND GREEN SPRING GARDENS

Looking across the large green as we make our way around the walking path, we see a family sitting on a blanket in the shade of the trees.  This would be a great place to bring a picnic, as I have seen people do several times on previous visits.
The gazebo is a very short walk from the Visitor Center where I saw this vase of pretty peonies.
The ground covering of small pansies were lovely,
as were the Trumpet Vines starting to cover this arbor.
We didn't see many birds to take photos of, but early in our walk we noticed that House Sparrows had taken up residence in the multi-story birdhouse high on the pole (left of the photo below).

Another small section of landscaped garden to enjoy...
and information on how to help our feathered friends.
Our bees are also mentioned.
I'm sure the frogs weren't left out.  I probably missed that sign.
By this time we are at the path that leads down to the ponds.  We leave the more manicured area and make our way down the hill.  The path here is gravel and a little uneven, so I always take extra care.  
I love this wooded area.  Everything is so lush and green.  Old trees are left to slowly decay, adding nutrients back into the soil.  They also give homes to countless species of wildlife.  

I read here that there are those who believe "the removal of dead material from forests can mean a loss of habitat for up to one fifth of the animals in the ecosystem."  Quite a sobering thought.  There is a lot of interesting information at this link regarding dead trees and how important they are.  Here is another link with more interesting information.
By this time we had walked down the gravel path, crossed over a small creek, turned left and headed towards the two ponds.  We stopped at the second one, sat on a bench under a shady tree, and enjoyed looking across the water.  Again there weren't many people here, but we noticed a family across the way, making use of another shady tree.  
A couple walked by with a small dog being transported in a pet carrier.  I was so curious about this carrier that I looked on Amazon when I got home, and found one here, which is very similar to the one this lady had. A cute little dog who seemed very comfortable and enjoying his ride.

We sat on the bench for a while after little dog and lady left, enjoying our surroundings very much.  It wasn't long before we saw a flash of red flying from one tree to another, almost above our heads.

A male Cardinal put on a performance.  I found a website where you can hear its call - at this link - if you click on their video.


It is always enjoyable to explore our local parks and gardens.  We have been to many of them and had some great walks.

Thank you for coming along with us on this one.  Enjoy your day.


26 comments:

  1. That is one glorious garden.
    I worry a little about dogs who are carried rather than walking. It looks cute, but is completely unnatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought about the little dog, but on the plus side he did seem like he was enjoying himself. Plus, it was such a hot day and maybe he has some medical condition. All these thoughts came into my head. It was however, very obvious that that little dog was very much loved.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful little vacation you have sent me on!! The gazebo, and the pansies are my favorites. Followed by the cute little dog. There are so many little retreats here that are calming and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Ginny, I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Estou muito feliz que tenha gostado do jardim. Um abraço e uma boa semana para você :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely. Even the dog looked happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, yes he was happy to be there :)

      Delete
  5. Hello, Denise. What a lovely garden and walk. The flowers are beautiful. Great tips for the bird watcher. The doggie is cute. Great photos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, thank you and the same to you :)

      Delete
  6. I love that last shot of the house in the trees. so much beauty in that park and you managed to get a little of all of it for us to visit.. the dog looks like a little teddy bear. that park is just gorgeous.. good place for a Memorial day picnic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the house, it is on the garden grounds and is being used as an administration office. I agree, it would be great for a Memorial Day picnic.

      Delete
  7. Sitting quietly in one spot will quite often be a good way to watch birds. They just fly by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true Red, I have often noticed that the birds seem to come when we are sitting quietly.

      Delete
  8. Life certainly thrives in this park area and, oh, the little blue house in the wood looks so inviting! Also, the pet being carried in the snuggly is sooo cuuuute and fluffy it almost seems like a stuffed toy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful garden, I so enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely place with great information, Denise. The facts about the leaving dead material is quite interesting and truly makes sense, though I do like a tidy garden at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I found the info very interesting.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the beautiful tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!