Monday, May 6, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - INA GARTEN'S UNFORGETTABLE BEEF STEW


This recipe needs to be started the day before as the beef has to be marinated overnight.   

It will probably be the last stew I will make until next winter, as for me this is a cold weather food.  With an abundance of veggies in the fridge, and as I haven’t made a stew at all this year, this recipe seemed ideal.  The days have started heating up but not so hot that a bowl of beef wasn't welcome at dinner time.  

My thanks to the host of 'Veggies by Candlelight', and to Ina Garten where she got her recipe from. Ina is one of my favorite ladies on the food channel. I enjoy her shows very much and have a couple of her cook books.  You can see the host’s version at this food blog, and I highly recommend a visit, not only to see the recipe, but to look at many tempting, delicious recipes.




Ina Garten's Unforgettable Beef Stew

2-1/2 pounds of good quality chuck beef, cubed into 1-1/2 inch cubes
1 bottle of good red wine, and pour yourself a glass ( marinade won’t miss it) 
3 whole garlic cloves, flattened (for marinade) 
1 tablespoon of minced garlic (to use later when cooking the stew)
3-4 bay leaves
2 cups all-purpose flour (the host also says she has tried whole wheat pastry and oat flour with great success)
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
A good quality olive oil
2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-1/2 inch chunks
1/2 pound white mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch slices (discard the stems) 
1 pound of small potatoes, halved or quartered
2 cups or 1 (14-1/2 ounce can) chicken stock or broth (homemade when available)
1 large (or 2 small) branches of fresh rosemary
1/2-1 cup of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 (10-ounce) package of frozen peas

Marinate the beef:

Place the beef in a bowl with red wine, garlic and bay leaves.  Refrigerate to marinate overnight.  (You will be reserving 2-1/2 cups of this marinade to use later on in the recipe.)

Brown the beef:

The next day preheat the oven to 300 degress F.

In a medium-sized bowl combine the flour with 1 tablespoon of salt, and pepper to taste.

Lift the beef out of the marinade with a slotted spoon, discarding the bay leaves and the garlic.  Save 2-1/2 cups of marinade.  

In batches dredge the cubes of beef in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.

Heat olive oil - about a tablespoon - in a large pot and brown half the beef over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, turning to brown evenly.  (This may have to be done in batches because the beef cubes need to sizzle in a hot pan for a good five minutes before stirring.  Only when the bottoms have a dark crust and can come away easily from the pan can you move onto the other sides.)

Place the first batch of beef in a large, oven-proof Dutch oven and continue to brown, add the remaining beef to the pan after the first batch is done. Put that in the Dutch oven also.  

Prepare the veggies:

In the same pan as you cooked the beef, with more oil if necessary, add the onions, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes.

Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.

Finish the stew:

Place all the vegetables into the Dutch oven over the beef.

Add 2-1/2 cups of the reserved marinade to the empty pot, and cook over high heat.  Deglaze the bottom of the pan by scraping up all the brown bits with a wooden spoon.

Add the chicken stock, rosemary, sundried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper.

Very carefully, pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables in the Dutch oven.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat on top of the stove.

Put the lid on the Dutch oven and carefully place in the oven to bake for about 2 hours, or until all the meat and veggies are tender, stirring once during cooking.  

If the stew is boiling rather than simmering, lower the heat to 250 or 275 degrees F.

Before serving stir in the frozen peas.  

Season to taste and serve hot.



A few things we altered was that we did not add the peas this time.  

Also could not find the sun-dried tomatoes and used a large can of diced tomatoes instead.  

The broth was delicious.  

It took a while to prepare.  Starting early in the morning is always the key.   When marinating the beef the night before, preparing the veggies would be a big time saver.  They can be put in a bowl tightly covered in the fridge.  The potatoes can be done the day you cook the stew.  

Whenever I feel like getting into the kitchen, the extra effort is well worth the finished meal.  

I prepared a lot of the food when Gregg was out of the house for a few hours.  When he came home he took over what was left, and I sat at the kitchen table while reading the steps of the recipe out loud.  As I have mentioned several times before, since retirement he has enjoyed getting into the kitchen and more often than not we enjoy cooking together.

Did I mention there are leftovers for a couple of more days?  One of our longer prep and cook recipes but well worth it just for that.  We gave our son a bowl the next day when he came over, and he gave it a thumb's up too.

Have a great week everyone and thanks for stopping by.









34 comments:

  1. I love stews, and this one looks delicious. Tonight I made the Pioneer Woman's chicken stew, which she calls chicken & noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good too Ginny, we love chicken and noodles in this house :)

      Delete
  2. I make something similar for himself - and they keep well and reheat well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me, yum yum. Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like stew, but I don't restrict the making of same to winter months. I could eat some right now if I had the ingredients but I am not as well prepared these days. You are lucky having Greg taking turns with the cooking. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Muito mesmo :) Um abraço e uma boa semana para você :)

      Delete
  6. Ina is also one of my favorites, he voice is calming and her recipes are great. this one sound delicious. whenever I make a pot of anything I always make a big pot and we can have it for sxeveral days or I can freeze some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda, I enjoy her style of speaking very much. Having meals like this for several meals is why I enjoy making them :)

      Delete
  7. This one’s too complicated for us (and we don’t have any cold weather...wait, that would have been a better -sounding excuse wouldn’t it?)). However, I am about to make your oatmeal with carmalized bananas for the second time. We loved that! Thank you. (And there goes my hot weather excuse...I do cook hearty food sometimes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sallie, there are days when something simpler is very appealing to me. Hope you enjoy the oatmeal :)

      Delete
  8. looks really yummy.... I was raised on this kind of stew. a way to stretch a pound of beef into a big meal for a few days.... I am with you, cold weather food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, my mum used to cook beef stews as well, and always with big, fluffy suet dumplings :) Yummy memories of her cooking.

      Delete
  9. I love Ina Garten AND beef stew, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise,
    Looks absolutely delicious, always love mushrooms in a stew.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, now adding mushrooms sounds good too John. All the best :)

      Delete
  11. This recipe looks wonderful, Denise, and I especially liked the part about enjoying a glass of the red wine. As you said this is a winter months recipe, so I will wait until next cold season to try it. And, I also enjoy Ina Garten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I always enjoy waiting for seasonal menus. The first time you make them after several months, they taste even yummier.

      Delete
  12. This looks and sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM...isn't comfort food just the greatest?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like beef stew; looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good beef stew. Ina Garten is a fabulous cook and a favorite of mine too, so I know this is delicious! Isn't it wonderful to have leftovers? It's great the two of you enjoy cooking together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, it's a fun hobby we do together. Ina certainly is a fabulous cook and leftovers, love those :)))

      Delete
  16. I love Ina and her recipes. This one looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, glad you liked the look of it.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!