Wednesday, October 16, 2024

LITTLE BITS OF SUNSHINE

These were taken some time back at Cox Farms Fall Festival in September 2012. They are called Swamp sunflowers. It is also called Narrowleaf sunflower, Narrow-leaved Sunflower, Narrow-leaved Coreopsis and Sunflower.  Botanical name Helianthus angustifolius.
I have had a lovely time looking through my old flowers on this chilly, rainy day. When I came across these, I knew it would be perfect for my next blog post. I haven't been out to the gardens for a while and am running low on flowers. With the season changing, I will be sharing more of my old photos I'm sure. The Swamp sunflower is a plant species that is a member of the Aster family. It is a yellow perennial that grows well in damp gardens and tolerates the salt of coastal areas. It spreads in small, slow-growing clumps, and you can plant them in the Spring and the Fall. Good news, it is also non-toxic to humans and pets 
I was told the flower above with our visiting bee is a Cutleaf coneflower, also known as Green-headed coneflower, Wild golden glow, Sochan and Thimbleweed. Its botanical name is Rudbeckia laciniata. It's unusual for me not to get the whole flower, or even take more of them. I remember there were a lot of animals around. Perhaps I got distracted. It is a perennial and planting time is in Spring, early Summer, Fall or early Winter. This wildflower has a similar look to the Sunflower or Blackeyed Susan, but the Cutleaf coneflower has a greenish-yellow center and back-tilted rays. It is an important food source for honeybees, butterflies and songbirds. You can see more info at this link, along with photos. 

I hope your week has gone well and thank you very much for visiting. Enjoy your day!






10 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful to be called swamp anything! Cheerful and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely photos and now off to the links, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swamp sunflowers are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely little sunflower...
    the bee fly over there...and the bee looks so cute. Greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely little sunflower...
    the bee fly over there...and the bee looks so cute. Greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. They would be welcome in my yard any day. Love the cheery and bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to see bright flowers on this dull, drizzly day. They give hope for the future, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s bound to be a good day when it starts with flowers and pollinators.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. The sun shines through them. 🌼

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!