Monday, October 14, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - SLOW-COOKER STEEL-CUT OATMEAL - MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS



Now that the days will be turning cooler, I will make more oatmeal for breakfast. I have other recipes on here but not this particular one, I hope! It's an old recipe I have had for a long time and I can't remember where it came from originally.


Slow-cooker Steel-Cut Oatmeal - makes 6 to 8 servings


Unsalted butter

8-1/2 cups water
2 cups steel-cut oats
1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk or 1-3/4 cups whole milk
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Total time: 10 minutes, plus 7 to 8 hours cooking time.



Coat the inside of your slow cooker with a thin layer of butter (I usually lightly spray it with avocado oil).


Add the water, oats, coconut or whole milk, brown sugar and salt. 


Stir to combine.


Cover and cook on low until the oats are cooked through and creamy, about 7 to 8 hours.


Stir in the vanilla and serve immediately.



It is always nice to use the crockpot/slow cooker, to get a breakfast ready to wake up to.

You can cut the calories down if you are taking note of such things. I have made a lot of soups with 2% milk when cream, whole fat coconut milk or whole milk is used. I could do the same with this. Also, I will look into how oat and almond milk might taste. I have already used them on my individually cooked oatmeal.

I often top it off with a favorite fruit; bananas or blackberries, strawberries or blueberries. I also add a few chopped walnuts. Looks like I may have added honey for this oatmeal picture.  

I am the only one who likes oatmeal but I love the fact that I can make several portions at one time, put  those individual portions in the freezer, thaw them out at night, and even when I forget, just take one and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes that morning. Whatever is left from this recipe, that's what I do.






4 comments:

  1. The brown sugar and coconut milk would make it taste extra good. I have never seen a slow cooker oatmeal recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tasty Ginny :) I love using a slow cooker for oatmeal but it has been a while.

      Delete
  2. Looks good Denise.
    I just eat toast with butter, manuka honey, and on the other slice of toast have butter and vegemite, tea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) Yours sounds good also.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!