Thursday, October 10, 2024

LOWLAND GORILLAS AT THE SMITHSONIAN NATION ZOO - OLD PHOTOS

  These are from my archives, last published on my old blog in June 2009 (no longer open). I am slowly transferring all those posts to this one. My photos were taken with film, several years before digital cameras.  

One of the first places we visited at the zoo was the Lowland Gorillas enclosure. I still remember the wonder of being able to see these beautiful animals, and yet being quite sad that they weren't in their own natural habitat. I had always hoped when I was young, that I would see them in Africa one day. I doubt that will happen now. (Added note at 9.10 p.m. on 10-9-24: My dear other half would say 'never say never', but I am being realistic. If I couldn't make it down steep steps in the pasty shop last week, I doubt I am going to be able to tramp through a jungle, and I say that with a chuckle at the thought.) So, when I saw them at the zoo it was an amazing feeling, and another good memory that I think of as I look at these photos. 
At the time there was a new baby seen with its mother, another thrill as it was such a darling little baby. The interaction between mother and child was so human-like. I have said it many times, we are very much connected, all across the species. 
At their enclosure we met a very nice couple who had traveled all the way from Saint Louis especially to see them, and to attend a related zoo function. They were there for a few days and were very much involved in this gorilla family, having had a long relationship with them. They knew all their individual names and their history. 
It was very interesting listening to them, and we were able to connect even further with our lowland gorilla family. They had contributed to the family's care for several years.

That's all on this lovely family. Thank you for looking and as always, I hope your day is a great one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!