Monday, October 28, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE - CABBAGE AND POTATO SOUP - APPROXIMATELY 8 SERVNGS

We are definitely going through soup weather. It's going to heat up later this week but in the meantime, it’s been chillier and I wanted to make it on such a day. It comes from a food blog called 'Simply Recipes' hosted by Stephanie A. Ganz. It looked so good I put it on our rotation and we made it a couple of days ago. You can find the original recipe at this link


Cabbage and Potato Soup - 8 servings


1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, diced 

1 medium green cabbage, chopped (about 8 cups packed)

1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, large dice (about 4 cups)

6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock

(If you would like to make your own stock, Stephanie's recipe can be found here.)

Salt and pepper to taste.

(Optional: Lemon juice, olive oil and fresh herbs like dill or parsley or chives.)


In a large Dutch oven over medium, heat the olive oil and add the diced onion. Cook until the onion is translucent but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chopped cabbage and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook the cabbage and onions, stirring occasionally to soften the cabbage and develop some golden brown color, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the potatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper (It's okay to use a heavy hand with the salt and pepper our host said, “because you are seasoning two very neutral vegetables, and you want to bring out their subtle flavors”.

Cover and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and cook until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.

Taste and adjust the seasonings. You can garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice and/or a few chopped herbs.

Serve immediately.

Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.


Cabbage and Potato Soup is a favorite around here. We both gave this a 10 out of 10. It was even better the second day when the flavors were more enhanced.We doubled the ingredients, except for the cabbage as it was more than enough. We don't mind eating this every day until it is finished.

I thought white beans would be a nice addition. 

My dear suggested shredded rotisserie chicken. 

Cooked diced ham could be another choice.  

I do, however, try to put meatless meals on the table and I would use vegetable broth for that. 

This has a very smooth, easy and delicious flavor. Nothing spicy added except for the salt and pepper.


 Gregg added a little rice wine vinegar in his the first night but I didn’t. I wasn’t too sure about that. The next night I was curious, so I drizzled in a couple of splashes. Much to my surprise I thought it added a nice, tasty little zing. If you want to try this I would go easy at first to make sure it is to your taste. 


I added a packet of oyster mushrooms cut into large dice. These were put into the pan at the same time as the onions. They were a nice addition. I am sure any mushroom would do.


Stephanie mentions that this would be an excellent soup to give someone who is under the weather. I agree as it is a very smooth, nourishing, mild tasting soup.


She suggested adding lemon juice, herbs like dill, parsley, or chives for a garnish. 


Another suggestion was a spoon of sour cream on the top. 


She has had this for breakfast with a poached or fried egg. 


Crusty rolls would go great but I didn’t have any and didn’t miss them.


Below are the addresses left in full, in case you want to copy and paste instead of using the link at the beginning of my recipe.


The soup recipe first.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/4-ingredient-cabbage-and-potato-soup-recipe-8716762


Stephanie's chicken stock recipe.

 https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_chicken_stock/ 



That's all I can think of but if you have any questions, please put them in the comment section. I will do my best to answer.


Have a great week everyone and thanks for stopping by.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!