Friday, October 11, 2024

THE GIFT WHICH I AM SENDING YOU…

 


“The gift which I am sending you is called a dog and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind.”







“Theodorus Gaza (c 1398 - c 1475) was born in an illustrious family in Thessaloniki, Macedonia. He was a Greek humanist and translator of Aristotle, one of the Greek scholars who were the leaders of the revival of learning in the 15th century (the Palaeologan Renaissance). At the time of his birth Thessaloniki was under Turkish rule (it was restored to Byzantine rule in 1403). On the final capture of his native city by the Turks in 1430, he escaped to Italy. In December 1440 he was in Pavia, where he became acquainted with Lacopa da San Cassiano, who introduced him to his master, Vittorino da Feltre. During a three year residence in Mantua where Vittorino held the celebrated humanistic school “La Giocosa”, he rapidly acquired a competent knowledge of Latin under his teaching, supporting himself meanwhile by giving lessons in Greek, and by copying manuscripts of the ancient classics.” 


I am always fascinated to learn of people I never knew existed. One short quote I found and liked enough to share on here, always gives me a stepping stone, one after the other, to not only fascinating people, but also to a fascinating time in history.  History was always a favorite subject of mine at school. You can learn more about him if you like, by clicking on his name below the quote.  



 


4 comments:

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!