Friday, March 1, 2024

MENDING WALL - HAPPY FIRST DAY OF MARCH



Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
‘Stay where you are until our backs are turned!’
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
‘Why do they make good neighbors? Isnt it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall Id ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.’ I could say ‘Elves’ to him,
But its not elves exactly, and Id rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his fathers saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, 'Good fences make good neighbors.'

~Mending Wall by Robert Frost~




Robert Lee Frost (March 26, 1874–January 29, 1963) was an American poet. His work was initially published in England before it was published in the United States. Known for his realistic depictions of rural life and his command of American colloquial speech.  Frost frequently wrote about settings from rural life in New England in the early 20th century, using them to examine complex social and philosophical themes.  Frequently honored during his lifetime, Frost is the only poet to receive four Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry.  He became one of America's rare "public literary figures, almost an artistic institution".  He was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal in 1960 for his poetic works. On July 22, 1961, Frost was named poet laureate of Vermont.  You can click on this link to find more information about him.

There is an interesting article here about the wildlife that can be found in a stone wall.  It is where I found today's poem.

Photo taken along the Snickersville Turnpike last May 2023.

32 comments:

  1. Interesting read Denise. Good fences do make good neighbours - we are fortunate here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I very much appreciate you enjoyed this and that you feel fortunate where you are :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Deep, true, and beautifully written. I like bridges better than walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ginny :) Bridges can be beautiful structures but I also love the old stone walls throughout Virginia.

      Delete
  3. I've heard the saying good fences make good neighbors before. I wouldn't mind having a stone wall like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and poem Denise! I love the photo! Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, so glad :) I also wish you the same.

      Delete
  5. A really deep and meaningful poem, Denise. I have not read this one by Frost. Thank you for posting it along with the lovely stone wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen, always happy you enjoy :)

      Delete
  6. We have a lot of dry stone walls here in Yorkshire, the Dales are full of them. Fascinating to look and see where they've been mended time and time again over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it love it love it... most poetry is above my head and i just don't get it, this one i get and I like/love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Sandra, it makes me happy you enjoyed this :)

      Delete
  8. The only place we see stone walls like that is out east. I cannot help but imagine the time and effort that went into constructing those walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to put walls up on those wide, open spaces out your way :) Considering these walls started over a hundred years ago and more, I would love to know how much time and effort went into maintaining these walls.

      Delete
  9. Great photo! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stone walls and we are lucky enough to have a stone house as well :-) Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing walls like these. A nice piece by Robert Frost. Happy March to you, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, old stone walls are always a draw for me. Glad you enjoyed both the wall and the poem. Happy March to you also :)

      Delete
  12. Amazing photo, I love the old stone fences! Very nice piece by Robert Frost Thanks for the post! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina :) and you are very welcome. I wish you a nice weekend also.

      Delete
  13. Happy first day of March to you, Denise. A lovely poem x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, so glad you enjoyed. Happy first day of March to you also :)

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed the photo of the stone wall. It was interesting to know it was taken when you travelled the turnpike road. We see stone walls being mended not far from where we live. As well as hedges we have old stone walls around our house and along our lane. I like the poem too and did not realise Robert Frost was an American poet. Thank you for the information. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and you are very welcome. I am always happy you enjoy my posts :) it’s always interesting to find out facts about people we didn’t know before and Frost is one of them. Your area always looks so pretty! Have a good weekend also.

      Delete
  15. Rock walls are wonderful. It's one of the things I love most about England. You don't see as many here (at least here in Michigan!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? :) I have so many memories of traveling along the narrow country lanes with those stone walls on each side. We see quite a few of them when we are out and about in Virginia, which is where I took this photo.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!