Monday, March 4, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - BOK CHOY AND MUSHROOM STIR FRY - SERVES 6

I chose a stir-fry for this week's recipe post, and it comes from the Southern Living Magazine. You can see the original at this link.


Pork and Bok Choy Stir-Fry Recipe


1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided

3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided

1/2 pound bok choy, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)

3 cups matchstick carrots

1 small red onion, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger

2 garlic cloves, minced

1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

3/4 cup chicken broth, divided

1/4 cup fresh orange juice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

Hot cooked rice



Cut pork into 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut each slice into 3 to 4 (1-inch-long) pieces. Season with pepper and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet or wok over high. Add half of pork; cook, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Repeat with 1 tablespoon of the oil and remaining pork.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add bok choy, carrots, onion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.

Whisk together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of the broth in a bowl; set aside. Stir together orange juice, soy sauce, and remaining broth in a separate bowl. Pour orange juice mixture over vegetable mixture in skillet; bring to a simmer over medium-high. Add pork and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt; simmer until meat is just done, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Serve stir-fry over hot cooked rice.


There was another bok choy and mushroom recipe I was going to try before I saw this one.  It looked very good also and you can find that at this website.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/bok-choy-and-mushroom-stir-fry/#wprm-recipe-container-32005



This was an excellent meal. The only addition made was a small box of mushrooms which were sliced and added to the veggies when cooking them, and I sprinkled sesame seeds on the top as a garnish at the table. Definitely looking forward to having this again sometime.

With my thanks to blogging friends who jog my memory in their comments, I have added the following.

If bok choy isn’t available in your local supermarket, you can substitute the same amount of sliced or chopped cabbage for the bok choy. Those bags of already sliced cabbage from the supermarket would work also, the kind we use for coleslaw, and it would certainly make the process a lot faster and easier.  We have used both before and they work out great.

This recipe is great for catering your own taste.  Add or delete choices of protein or veggies, whatever you have in supply.  

Happily there were leftovers and they taste even better the following day once those flavors have had a chance to develop. 


Thanks for looking and have a great week!











34 comments:

  1. Healthy, and I imagine incredibly aromatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! This looks wonderful Denise. You are such an awesome cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay but I give half the credit to Gregg. Since retirement he has become an excellent cook.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Roentare, we enjoyed it very much.

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious Denise, thanks for sharing.
    Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna and you are very welcome. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. We love All Asian food! This looks yummy!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so, thanks again :) sending hugs!

      Delete
  6. It looks delicious. I have never had bok choy. I know we don't carry it at the store I work at. I'll have to look at Walmart the next time I go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, you reminded me that bok choy isn't always available in all the supermarkets, so I added that you can replace it with cabbage. Thanks for the reminder :)

      Delete
  7. SInce we enjoy ork tenderloin and always have a couple in the freezer, this meal sounds like a doable one in the future. Thanks for posting this one, Denise, and it looks like there would be leftovers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reminder that I had missed the first time I posted was that we did have leftovers. Thank you Dorothy :)

      Delete
  8. You always give me such good stirfry sauce recipes! I think I use at least two that I got from you! this looks delicious -- I'm sure I'll use cabbage because I doubt if I can find bok choy here (we get better produce in Oregon). Maybe even the slaw mix because I'm lazy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of you to say Sallie, so glad you enjoy my recipes. I can't think of anyone less lazy with all that you do :) There are times that ready-cut cabbage is great when cutting down on prep to table time. Another reason is that my fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be and I would be dangerous with a knife, lol! I also don't have a food processor.

      Delete
  9. This stir fry looks delicious and would be easy to substitute or add other ingredients. Thank you Denise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley and you are very welcome :) Very true on substitutions.

      Delete
  10. That's a fun vegetable to pronounce, bok choy! :) Looks and sounds yummy. Happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, It is and Happy Monday to you too :)

      Delete
  11. This dish looks really good, Denise. I had some orange chicken, and I had to make white rice to go with it. Everything taste better with a bed of rice underneath it.

    Happy March days to you, friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Sheri :) You are so correct, everything tastes better with rice.

      Delete
  12. I like both bok choi and mushrooms. This looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angie, I appreciate that :)

      Delete
  13. I like the sound of that, yum yum. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you do Diane, thank you and cheers to you also :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Happy you think so Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  15. thanks for link dear Denise
    your recipe looks wonderful :)
    health ,peace and joy to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Baili :) and I am happy you liked the look of this recipe. I also wish you and your family health, peace and joy.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!