Thursday, March 7, 2024

ALL ABOUT THE WELSH CORGI AND FUN WITH COPILOT

 

I have had a lot of fun since my dear other half introduced me to Copilot, and have added a few art posts today. Some are in different styles of brushstrokes as it were, and there is a bit of whimsy in a few. I collected several corgi paintings, and my prompt was "In the style of Monet, Welsh Corgi sitting on a hillside in Wales surrounded by daffodils”, with one exception which you will see. It gives you several style choices and there were many to choose from as it was a bit of a learning curve for me. I also enjoyed finding new things about the corgi, and learning about anything is always a fun journey.

I found information about them at the link below, and there is a lot more.

https://facts.net/corgi-facts/

The Corgi’s common ancestry is the Swedish Vallhund.  While corgis have two different types, they both evolved from the Swedish Vallhund.  Also called Västgötaspets, this herding dog has an insulated double coat and a short, stocky physique,  similar to corgis.

Corgis have a very thick coat made of two layers.  Their double-coat serves as a way to stay warm during winter and cool during the summer.  

Their fluffy coats come with a catch. As adorable as corgis look with their thick fur, it makes them a bad choice for people with allergies. Especially during the springtime, corgis can shed a mountain of fur and dander that can trigger allergies.

Corgis have evolved into two separate breeds of dogs. Since 1934 the world has recognized two different corgi breeds.  It's generally believed that Flemish weavers introduced the Pembroke Corgi to Wales in 1107 AD.  Eventually, the Cardigan corgi evolved as a rarer variant of the breed, which makes them more expensive to this day.

Corgis aren't born with pointy ears.  Two of their characteristics are pointy ears and chubby paws.  However, corgi puppies have droopy ears at birth, only turning upright as they grow.
Walt Disney helped corgis gain popularity. Mas media and entertainment conglomerate founder Walt Disney first showed a corgi on the animated feaature 'Little Dog Lost' in the 60s.  First aired by NBC on January 13th, 1963, the telefilm sparked the popularity of corgis in the United States.

Corgis are expressive.  Among other dog breeds, corgis are known to be very expressive with their facial expressions.  Whether they're happy, scared, surprised or sad, their owners will always have a clue.
The following facts come from:


Corgis are herders. Corgis are actually hard-working herding dogs, and they are the smallest breed in the herding group.  Originally bred to work with cattle, they worked to keep them moving by nipping at their hooves.  Their small stature worked to their advantage in this position, giving them agility and a low center of gravity so they could work around large animals without being trampled.
The Dog, the Myth, the Legend.  As far as fun facts about corgis go, this one might just be the most wholesome.  Legend has it that fairies and elves once used corgis to pull their coaches and act as fairy cattle herders.  According to Rover, the legend states that "The fairy folk would use them as mounts, literally riding herd on these herders.
The Queen of England loved her corgis. Queen Elizabeth II was a big fan of them. Her father, King George VI, gifted her her first corgi when she was just seven years old in 1933. She owned about 30 corgis in her lifetime. In 2015 she made a point to stop breeding them to ensure there would be none left behind when she passed. 

As mentioned in the first part of my post, there are two breeds of corgi dogs.  These are the Pembroke Wesh and the Cardigan Welsh.  The main noticeable differences between the two breeds are the size of the tail. Cardigans are slightly larger and have a fox-like tail, whereas the Pembroke is a bit smaller and will typically have its tail docked close to its body. According to the American Kennel Club, the cardigan breed has more varied colors and come in brindle, black and white with brindle or tan points, red and sable with white markings and blue merle. The only coat colors for the Pembroke are red, sable and tricolor with white markings.

According to the American Kennel Club, the cardigan breed has more varied colors. "They come in brindle, black and white with brindle or tan points, red and sable with white markings, and blue merle. The only coat colors for the Pembroke are red, sable, and tricolor with white markings".
The corgis are notoriously cuddly and are known to be extremely affectionate dogs and love being cuddled. Of course, these are highly observant dogs, so if they belong to owners who aren't naturally affectionate with others, the corgi might not be affectionate either. 
You can find a wealth of information about these sweet dogs at the links I have provided.  I hope you have enjoyed learned about them as much as I have.

As lovable as they are, I think they will get a loving home more easily than those in our local shelters. If we ever did get another dog, I would probably go to one of those, or another rescue organization. My whole life we always had a lovable mutt, though I am not sure if we will get another dog at this stage. But, never say never is another motto of mine. 

One day I will have to tell you about our dog whom we lost many years ago. Her name was Bridgette. She was a year old when she came into our family, already named. A mix of black labrador and dalmation, she was our complete and utter joy for 15 years. She had been allowed to run wild before she became a part of our family, and therein lie many stories.





36 comments:

  1. I have loved Corgis for a long, long time. So have really enjoyed this post. A.I. did a super job of the Corgis pulling the fairies! I had a dog at one time, too. Not a Corgi, though. She once chewed up a double-edged razor blade and did not have a single cut in her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Ginny and thank you :) oh my goodness, what a story about your dog! Such a lucky little girl!

      Delete
  2. Good information regarding the Corgis. I do like the AI images, lots of fun doing that I bet Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Margaret, and it was a lot of fun putting these together :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! Love the AI quality images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roentare, I was very happy how they turned out :)

      Delete
  4. These are all wonderful. I've often thought if I were to get another dog I would want a corgi. I think they're adorable. Lots of info I didn't know about the breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, they certainly are a very sweet looking dog :)

      Delete
  5. You sure are having fun with Copilot. Corgis are adorable little dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so very true Linda :) lol! They certainly are adorable!

      Delete
  6. Great post and beautiful images. I love my granddog Winnie the Corgi. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and how wonderful that one of your granddogs is a corgi :) You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  7. these pictures are AMAZING, you are really good at telling it what to do... My son and his wife had a Corgi and a Black Chihuahua. they had five puppies, the most adorable ever puppies and 2 of them were black corgies, they all looked like corgies. she kept 3 the first litter and 2 they second litter. then they quit having them because she could not sell them. they lived to be 16 years old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Sandra, thank you :) That is lovely to know about your son and his wife but I am sorry they couldn’t sell them. I have heard that they are very expensive. Their corgi/chihuahua puppies sound adorable!

      Delete
  8. What a great post! I learned a lot and the pictures are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela :) very much appreciate that.

      Delete
  9. Those corgi images are very cute. You certainly are having fun with Copilot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Beverley, so much fun :) and thank you.

      Delete
  10. Our dil's granny has a Corgi. Fun program for these photos in lovely settings. Corgi's make me think of Queen Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! I don’t see them too often and I am always looking for photos to take pictures of dogs. I enjoy the photos of Queen Elizabeth when she is with her corgis :)

      Delete
  11. I think Corgis are cute. I am seeing more and more of them in the US too -- there are several in my neighborhood and I often see them while they are being walked. Yes, for a short-haired dog they sure have a thick coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, very much so :) Lovely you see them in your neighborhood Jeanie.

      Delete
  12. Interesting Corgi facts! We have never had one, but have had many other lovable breds. Cannot wait to read about Bridgette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you found them so :) I will have to put a story together about Bridgette.

      Delete
  13. Fun pictures! Corgis are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The gorgies are very beautiful!! So are your images. Very informative information. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  15. I have never had a dog and probably never will, but a Corgi seems like it would be a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My neighbour's son drops off his corgi for occasional babysitting, he enjoys taking him for walks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's the best of both worlds. I look forward to the time my son and daughter-in-law get a dog.

      Delete
  17. Corgis are so darling and I always think of Queen Elizabeth II when I see them.
    Your pictures are fantastic with your information that I didn't know. I would love to hear about your dog, Denise. I grew up with many dogs that my Daddy rescued at work. All of them wonderful. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, the Queen is synonymous with Corgis isn't she? Glad you enjoyed and I'll have to get a post about Bridgette together in the not too distant future. Have a great weekend dear friend.

      Delete
  18. Your paintings are amazing. You have some serious skills. I have wondered about a corgi in the future. We need a dog that is easy to train, affectionate, and intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue but this AI makes it all too easy. I appreciate your sweet compliment though. The corgi fits perfectly with what you want. I will look forward to your photos :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!