Thursday, February 15, 2024

MORE PHOTOS FROM MEADOWLARK GARDENS - SATURDAY 2-10-24

I found these cabbage plants very interesting. You can read about them on this website. I am curious whether they are actually edible and this is what the website had to say about them. "While Ornamental Kale and Cabbage are technically edible, they’re not very palatable. Their main purpose is to serve as decoration in the cooler months of Winter and Spring, especially in decorative pots. While one wouldn’t usually think of vegetables as being particularly decorative, these plants come in beautiful shades of pinks, greens, purples, and whites." I also read on my plant app that "Native peoples selectively cultivated the wild cabbage over centuries to produce broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, and more."

The name cabbage comes from the word caboche, from the middle English language meaning 'head'. Coincidentally, its circle-shaped appearance looks like the shape of a head, hence its name. Also, its botanical name is Brassica cleracea." 
The Johnny Jump-ups above were growing nearby also. I mentioned them in this post from November 2020.
Did you know that there are 20,000 known bee species worldwide and 4,000 of them are native to the United States? They range from the tiny (2 mm) and solitary Perdita minima, known as the world’s smallest bee, to kumquat-sized species of carpenter bees. The link to the tiny bee takes you to a great illustration on Facebook, showing the comparison in size of each bee.
Honeybees are not native to North America. They were originally imported from Europe in the 17th century. Honeybees now help pollinate many U.S. crops like fruits and nuts. In a single year, one honeybee colony can gather about 40 pounds of pollen and 265 pounds of nectar.  This information came from here. As we know, every colony has a queen. She controls it with a special pheromone, which unifies the bees in her care. A Queen bee can lay up to 3,000 eggs in just one day. Worker bees feed her and cater to her every need. 
I have seen bee hotels at the garden for a while now.   I found a website that gives instructions on how to make one. You can see it here and more info here.
Ginny, our dear blogging friend over at Let Your Light Shine, asked a great question via her husband Phil. It made me even more curious to make a further search for their answer.  I found this at the forum Quora.  I didn't provide a link to that because you have to join up so if you are interested, I thought you could just put it in your search engine.  Anyhow, the answer I found to Ginny and Phil's question was this: "Before the introduction of the honeybee, North America (USA and Canada) was home to a variety of native pollinators, including bumblebees, solitary bees, butterflies, moths, beetles and hummingbirds. These native pollinators played a crucial role in pollinating native plants and crops before the arrival of the honeybee." Thank you Ginny and Phil for such a great question about how did things get pollinated beforehand. This is how I learn, and I always love learning something new each day, especially in my favorite topic, all about nature.
It was lovely seeing the crocus growing all over the garden, and the snowdrops among a tangle of fallen branches.    
A favorite focus of mine is the gazebo, this time with branches of witch hazel in the foreground.  
Gregg caught a small flock of geese as they flew in and these two were perfectly in frame. Always happy to see them.  It was very overcast that day.
That's the last photo for now. Still plenty more but it's time for me to put the computer to sleep. Gregg was over in Bethesda with our son today. They had some great father-son time. My day went quickly as I did a few chores; tidy-up time, fresh linens on the beds and I even got round to making a batch of cookies. If they turn out I'll post them sometime.  I had to use up ripe bananas and I wanted a change from banana bread.  (Added note: I was a wee bit disappointed in the recipe I found, so I will not be sharing.  Onwards and Upwards :))






38 comments:

  1. Bee houses are looking so special. The lake scenery is superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roentare, the lake is really pretty, one of three here. I agree, I always think they are a real nice addition to a garden , and you feel like something is being done for not only our bees but for our planet :)

      Delete
  2. All lovely Denise, The cabbages do look nice and are rather attractive planted for show in certain areas of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, the cabbage is a pretty addition to the garden, especially when very few flowers are blooming :)

      Delete
  3. So this post is from your very recent visit. I only ever see this decorative cabbage growing in the fall and early winter!! So this is such a surprise. I always love seeing them. We have the little Johnny Jump Ups growing here and there in our yard, along with tiny wild Violets, Persian Speedwell, and Purple Dead Nettle. I had no idea about most of the bee info. Phil asked if they are not native to here, then what pollinated our plants before they were brought here? The geese photo is so good, it is so hard to snap flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Phil for asking that great question Ginny :) I'm going to make an addition to my post with the additional information. It is always fun for me to learn something new. I will have to look up Persian Speedwell, I think I know what your others are but I'll check those out too for a refresher. The geese were very cooperative that day. We had at least three flocks while we were there. Gregg captured them beautifully. I also love their honking.

      Delete
  4. Love the ornamental cabbage. Such pretty colors. The Johnny jump ups would be a welcome sight. Those are really pretty too.
    I've never seen one of those bee houses before. How interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bee houses have started popping up in many of the places we visit. I first saw one that was much larger when passing someone’s garden while visiting my family in Germany several years ago. It was lovely seeing the flowers here :)

      Delete
  5. The ornamental kale is a really pretty plant. The photos are so pretty...
    Have a sweet day!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I thought they made a pretty addition. Thank you Donna :) I wish you the same and sending hugs.

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    Beautiful photos and flowers! I like the cute bee hotels. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I like those bee hotels too and the flowers were a very welcome sight. You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  7. i prefer the johnny jump ups, but the cabbage is pretty. i have seen them here, but have never grown them. I saw two honking geese on a walk 3 days ago. not a common sight here. we saw an odd sight last week, riding to the park, at the top of a austrailain pine sat 2 birds. together,like angels on a Christmas tree. the odd thing one was an Ibis, the other a seagull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds must have been a lovely sight Sandra. Thank you for sharing that :) it has been a very long time since I saw an Ibis. The last time was on a trip to Florida and that was years ago.

      Delete
  8. The cabbages look really decorative. Today I saw lots of crocus in the woods. They are actually quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed coming across these. They certainly were a welcome sight.

      Delete
  9. Lots of interesting information. I did not know about the cabbages and bees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet shot of the gazebo with the Witch Hazel. Hooray for the yellow blossoms. We love our local honey. Bee happy today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee happy to you also Ellen :) I agree, hooray for those yellow blossoms. We love our local honey also.

      Delete
  11. Interesting facts about the Bees. When I was in grade school, I was stung by a bee and I swelled up. My mom took care of it, but to this day, I'm allergic to the bees and stay far away from them. ; ) Although I love taking pictures of them. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that’s not good! My mom-in-law was allergic to bees also. I love to watch them on the flowers. I only remember being stung once and that was years ago. Definitely stay far away from those bees Sheri :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the post, which is very interesting, I love the bees, the sprouts are beautiful! Perfect foto!! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Katerina and thank you so much :) I wish you a nice day also.

      Delete
  13. I'm very fond of cabbages as "flowers" in the garden. They're so interesting. Love seeing the Johnny Jump-Ups.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's fascinating to learn about the history and uses of cabbage plants! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Johnny Jump Ups....I don't think I have ever heard that name for flowers! But aren't they just the prettiest things!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are Jennifer :) I learned the name of these flowers at another garden we visit a couple of years’ ago. I would love to know why they were named.

      Delete
  16. Interesting info about cabbages. I had no idea broccoli and cauliflower were cultivated from them.
    The park looks lovely. All those blooms popping out say spring. Do you think the reason they're blooming is because it's been so mild, or is it typical for this time of year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra and thank you! They certainly do say Spring :) Isn’t it interesting to find out these things? I think you have something there about the mild weather. I will have to check my photos from last year to see if I was seeing the same flowers.

      Delete
  17. Thanks, Denise, for the explanation about the decorative cabbages as I also wondered if they were edible or not. And, a bee hotel is something I was not familiar with as there are none in the parks near here at least that I've seen. And, I too have some bananas to use and am also tired of making banana bread so thanks for the idea to check out a cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy, glad you enjoyed the info :) Well, I made the banana recipe. I wasn't too keen on the first batch but I baked a couple from frozen on a higher heat and that seemed to do the trick. Not my favorite but edible, talking about edibles! Much prefer anything with chocolate, LOL! I'll be interested in how your recipe turns out when you find one.

      Delete
  18. Those cabbages are used as Winter bedding plants over here. They make very colourful displays. The bee hotels are good to see, as we should be doing all we can to protect these important insects. Pretty Crocus and Snowdrops for the bees to enjoy as well. Have a good week, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I hope we can make a difference on their decline. You have a good week too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!