Monday, February 26, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - SOFT BANANA COOKIES - MAKES 36 COOKIES AND CAN BE FROZEN

As I had a few overripe bananas, and wanting a change from banana bread, I found this recipe at Savory Experiments hosted by Jessica. You will find the original recipe at this link. I would encourage taking a look at her photos, and also read all the great tips. Mine turned out a bit darker but they were excellent. Gregg felt he was eating a mini banana bread. I had added cinnamon following the ingredients list.  They were a delicious addition and not overpowering!


Easy Banana Cookie Recipe


Preparation time:  10 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Chilling time: 2 hours

Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes 

Servings: 36 cookies 


Cookie Dough Recipe:

3-3/4 cups flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 cup ripe banana, mashed (approximately 2 to 3 bananas)

1 large egg, room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Sugar Cookie Topping:

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon


In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar and light brown sugar. When blended until light and creamy, add the egg, vanilla and mashed banana.

Gradually add the flour/baking powder mixture into to the egg/banana mixture and combine well.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.

After the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.

With clean hands, roll the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls. Dough might be sticky and not roll well. This is okay.  Once rolled, coat thoroughly into the cinnamon/sugar mixture. 

Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or use a silicone mat cookie sheet and place uncooked cookies 2 inches apart.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookie tops start to crack. Do not wait until cookies brown, they will be overdone.

Allow the cookies to cool on cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack using a spatula.



What did we think?

Excellent! I ending up cooking only 4 cookies in 1 batch, two each as we didn’t want to overdo it.  The other already rolled cookies I flash froze (before baking) placed them in a sealed container.  They are in the freezer.  

I used regular butter instead of the unsalted, and kosher salt instead of the fine sea salt.

I meant to cook these after the two hours, but with one thing and another taking up my time, I left them in the fridge until the next day, and they were fine.

While they were still frozen I heated the oven to 405 degrees F., placing them on the cookie sheet and set the timer for 20 minutes. My oven always runs on the cooler side for most recipes, that's why I turned it up higher, plus the fact the cookies were frozen. You will have to be the judge for your own oven as these temperatures and timing are just a guide. It's a bit of an experiment and it might take me a couple of tries to get it to the way I think it should be. It is so nice only taking a few out at a time whenever you feel like a sweet treat. Also great for unexpected company.

If you prefer, you can thaw overnight in the fridge, and follow Jessica's instructions, maybe adding a few minutes to the cooking time if needed. I think she gives some tips on freezing.

If you prefer to copy and paste rather than use the link above, here is the full address.

https://www.savoryexperiments.com/banana-cookies/









43 comments:

  1. That's such a cute measuring spoons graphic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Pam :) I get my graphics from a royalty free place called Pixabay (pixabay.com), and added the words in my paint shop pro which I have had for years.

      Delete
  2. They do look like a lovely soft bread or biscuit. A few with a drink would make a wonderful and healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, it was a very nice treat :) I enjoyed mine with a cup of coffee.

      Delete
  3. They look delicious. A nice alternative to banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Thanks for your kind words and visit to my blog. Feel free to come back and have a good week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I enjoyed my visit and look forward to the next one :)

      Delete
  5. I am still smiling at Ginny's comment that two of these make a healthy meal. I see not one ingredient that could be considered heathy, but i do see why they would be delish to eat. I just came from reading a news articile about salt/sugar and how it is giving us all high blood pressure, still fresh in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Sandra :) these are a once in a while treat and we eat healthy foods most of the time. The only time I have high blood pressure is when I walk into the doctor’s office. I believe they call it white coat syndrome! Not really making light of it, I know HBP is nothing to joke about but humor is my self defense mechanism. I am trying to cure myself of that but I have had it since I was a kid and at this stage, definitely hard to cure.

      Delete
  6. My husband Larry, loves banana nut bread! I'll be trying these cookies!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Denise,
    Your cookies sound yummy. Your measuring spoon graphic is cute. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Eileen. Thank you, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. Just printed out the recipe! Thanks again Denise for another fun recipe! Larry will love these.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, so happy you like them enough to do that :)

      Delete
  9. Would be wonderful with a glass of cold milk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they do look delicious. Those would be great with my cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, they certainly went well with mine :)

      Delete
  11. Dziękuję za przepis spróbuję upiec takie ciasteczka:) Miłego tygodnia żuczę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję, mam nadzieję, że Ci się spodobają. Miłego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Well, you certainly make a lot of delicious recipes. I always enjoy reading them :)

      Delete
  13. Hello - You have just visited my blog, so I thought I would pop over here. These soft banana cookies look very tempting so I think we'll have to give them a try!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellie, so nice of you to visit :) Thank you, I enjoyed my visit to see you and look forward to coming back. Please let me know how you like these cookies, yay or nay :) Best wishes to you also.

      Delete
  14. These cookies look great. Banana anything is delicious in my opinion. Great idea having them in the freezer when a treat is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Martha Ellen, I love bananas too, any which way. The freezer is a great benefit to a busy day isn’t it? :)

      Delete
  15. Mini banana bread sounds great to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I like that. Thank you Denise! Lately I have started to buy bananas again and when they are right I cut them. I peel them and put the peeled halves in the freezer bag and freeze them as you do 😉 Then I take them out to use in oatmeal or whatever, and sometimes I eat them frozen for a treat! Aloha friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and you are very welcome Cloudia :) Thanks for the tips on how you do yours. Sounds wonderful! And Aloha to you my friend.

      Delete
  17. They do look nice.
    Many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, you are very welcome :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  18. They look nice and sound nice Denise. I made a cake with two large old bananas the other day, I put many things in mine, just beautiful...so I know you buiscuits would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look nice. Thanks for the recipe! I generally like soft cookies, this is a good non-chocolate option! Have a good day .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Katerina. Thank you and you have a good day also :)

      Delete
  20. Thank you! Thank you! I am saving it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great cookies and I love the measuring spoons x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!