Wednesday, February 28, 2024

MORE FROM MEADOWLARK GARDENS IN VIENNA, VIRGINIA 2-10-24

It was lovely seeing flowers blooming around the garden. Crocus, for instance, was putting on a lovely show. These are Woodland crocus, other names Tommasini's crocus, Tommies and Early crocus. Its botanical name is Crocus tommasinianus. Woodland crocus should always be planted in the fall. You will see its blooms from late winter to the spring. If you go to this link it will tell you how to grow and take care of them.

Next are the snowdrops. They are quite sturdy and are one of the only flowers that thrive in winter. You will often see them poking through when the snow melts. They make a lovely sight don't they?  I am always interested in other names for all flowers, including the botanical ID, which is Galanthus nivalis for the snowdrop. Those other names are Common snowdrop, Fair maids of February, Little sister of the snows, Purification flower, Candlemas bells, Candlemas lily and Common bells.


Longfield Gardens has a page which gives information on planting and taking care of them.  You can access that here. Snowdrops are very old. A Greek botanist and philosopher wrote about them in the 4th century, but at that time they were called white violets. Because snowdrops have been in the UK for centuries, many believed it was native to Britain. However, they were actually discovered in Europe and the Middle East, and it was the Romans who actually brought them to the UK.

One of the things I was fascinated on this visit, was the lichen growing on the trees, and even an old bench, one of the few I didn't sit on but did take photos.


According to my trusty plant app, this particular fungi is called Parmeliaceae. That is also its botanical name and it is a large family of lichen-forming fungi. Nearly all fungi within the Parmeliaceae family, has a symbiotic association with green Algie.  It comes in a very wide variety of shapes, and insects either eat or nest in these lichens. 


It gets its nutrients through photosynthesis, and if like me you need a refresher on what that is, here is the description I found online: "Photosynthesis is the process by which green plants and some other organisms use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water.  Photosynthesis in plants generally involves the green pigment chlorophyll and generates oxygen as a byproduct."


This family of lichen can grow and flourish just about anywhere, from tree canopies to in-between rocks. They thrive in a multitude of climates as well, ranging from the Arctic to the rainforest. It is a massive family with more than 2700 different species within it.


I always look forward to our next trip to the garden.  It will be interesting to see what replaces the sign. The green reed-like plant is actually wild garlic, but I'll let that go for now.


Just some odds and bods I photographed. The flying pig bottom left of the collage, with a larger snapshot below that, has been at the garden for years. He is placed in the fairy garden. All the fairies have disappeared. I am hopeful we will see them again during the warmer months and the weather isn't quite so harsh. They haven't taken the fairy garden sign down.




The ID marker stuck next to these branches, said it was the Golden Curls Willow. You can find information here. The ID actually identified it as the Golden Curls Corkscrew Willow. I'm pretty sure it is correct as my photo and the one on the website look identical.  One of the first times I checked with my plant app and it didn't have any information about this particular tree.


That's all for this post.  I have a few that I took inside the visitor center, photos of a few art pieces, and will share those another time.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your day is full of sunshine.  












41 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I have some Curly Willow branches that I decorate with. Snowdrops at one time were called White Violets? To me, they look nothing like violets, don't you think? But I still would love to see some, and even more now! You could not PAY me to sit on this bench! Surely they are using it only as part of the garden for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, nothing like violets, though maybe different countries had different names for things, especially going back as far as the snowdrop. I wondered about the bench myself and I am certain that it isn't being used for a decoration. I sat on it many times over the years of visiting, the last only being a few months ago. The lichen really took over! Thanks Ginny :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! So that's what grows on headstones...
    Pretty plants, as well.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it a lot here Donna, more so in the winter time. Thank you and sending hugs :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking us on your walk. Maybe they should put some pots or plants on the bench to keep goofy people from sitting on it with possible liabilities. Linda in Kansas where it snowed today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda :) That's a great idea about pots on the bench. I could have asked about it I suppose, but I don't think the people in the visitor center would have had an answer. I will be interested in how it progresses when we go back in a month or so, when the warmer weather is here. They will probably have to use a jet spray to get rid of it all.

      Delete
    2. I am hoping I can return your visit one of these days Linda :) I don't see a link where I can but maybe you are on one of the other medias. Let me know if you are and I'll be right on over to say hi.

      Delete
  4. All those flowers are so pretty. That looks like such a wonderful place to visit. I wonder what the new garden feature will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ann :) I have always enjoyed their flowers and it is a great place to walk. It will be fun to find out about the new garden feature, and I will be sure to take photos and share when it is installed.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    It is a lovely sight to see these early spring blooms, the crocus and snowdrops are beautiful. I like the cute pig statue. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little flying pig is a favorite of mine. Thank you Eileen and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. Crocus and snowdrops are everywhere over here...a sign that spring is not far away :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! It will be nice to look forward to Angie :)

      Delete
  7. What a pretty garden showing signs of spring. Love that winged piglet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, we have enjoyed this garden for many years now, and the little winged piglet has been a constant companion :)

      Delete
  8. I want that pig. sooooo cute. i have seen a few crocus in a couple of yards, they are not common here. never seen snowdrops. our signs of spring are the whole yard and driveway and pool water and deck are bright yellow with pollen. my nose is dripping and sneezing has begone. I do love love the lichen, all of it especailly the bench covering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a cutie isn't he Sandra? :) The snowdrops seems to be a cold weather flower, and will all the great weather you have down in Florida, it will stay further up north. Sorry you are so allergic to pollen, I know the effects it can give from family and friends. The lichen is something I find fascinating, and all other fungi. I love the patterns it creates.

      Delete
  9. Your pictures make me want to get out and explore the forest. Unfortunately, our forest is covered in snow right now. It is supposed to get up into the 50's in a few days so there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sending good vibes for your warmer weather :) It's raining here and windy. I'll be glad for a dry day so that we can get out and have a good walk again.

      Delete
  10. How nice to see some early blossoms! We’re going to have plenty of them a few days, with any luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you see them soon Linda, they certainly fill me with cheer :)

      Delete
  11. Purple and white …crocuses and snowdrops are pretty and a welcome sight in late winter. Spring isn’t far behind. That pig statue is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda and thank you. I love the winter but I am eager to see the spring at this point :)

      Delete
  12. i can image this as a beautiful garden and a welcome sight after a long winter. one of the girls in my knitting group dyes yarn with lichen, it is an interesting process. i must go and check my gardens to see if my crocus have popped up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! I never would have thought that could be done. I hope you enjoyed your crocus today :)

      Delete
  13. Looks like a lovely time outdoors. With flying pigs, even!:) They weather has been so nice lately - well, not today exactly but you know:) Hope you are having a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to get out and I always love seeing the little flying pig. He's getting quite old now. Yes, I know, we have had some lovely days too, but it's been raining and windy for a good part of today.

      Delete
  14. How wonderful the sight of these flowers in the dry grasses of winter!! The floating pig is also very beautiful! But the information about the maggot is also useful. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed them and you are very welcome. Thank you Katerina :)

      Delete
  15. Lovely to see your photographs.
    The snowdrops and crocus look pretty.
    That pig is so cute.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, thank you Jan. It's always great to see the new snowdrops and crocus, and the pig :) All the best to you also.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing your lovely day at the garden, Denise. The crocus, the snowdrops, and the curly willow are so pretty. The lichen laden bench is stunning even though it is not a seat to be sitting on. And the flying pig is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen, so glad you enjoyed my walk at the garden :)

      Delete
  17. Love the pig with that big smile. Your bulbs are very nice and make a pretty picture Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, much appreciated :) that little pig is very popular.

      Delete
  18. How fun to see all these pretty blooms on this walk. Happy Leap Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always is Ellen and our walk is always changing with the seasons. Thank you and Happy Leap Day to you too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!