Tuesday, February 27, 2024

SNOWDROPS - A SIGN OF SPRING - A POEM


Many, many welcomes,

February fair-maid!

Ever as of old time,

Solitary firstling,

Coming in the cold time,

Prophet of the gay time,

Prophet of the May time,

Prophet of the roses,

Many, many welcomes,

February fair-maid!





The Snowdrop 
by 









Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson FRS (6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892) was an English poet. He was the Poet Laureate during much of Queen Victoria's reign. In 1829, Tennyson was awarded the Chancellor's Gold Medal at Cambridge for one of his first pieces, "Timbuktu". He published his first solo collection of poems, Poems, Chiefly Lyrical, in 1830. "Claribel" and "Mariana", which remain some of Tennyson's most celebrated poems, were included in this volume. Although described by some critics as overly sentimental, his verse soon proved popular and brought Tennyson to the attention of well-known writers of the day, including Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Tennyson's early poetry, with its medievalism and powerful visual imagery, was a major influence on the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.

More information can be read here.





28 comments:

  1. How I loved the poem and the photo with the white flowers! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must plant snowdrops this year so next spring I can love them in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to also Jeanie, they are such a pretty flower, especially next to the crocus. I'm hoping to plant both :)

      Delete
  3. Snow drops are certainly an indication of an awakening of plant life. The dripping of maple sap in the buckets confirms the hope spring is not too far off.
    Thanks for the poem and photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are :) I am not so fortunate to see the maple sap being harvested but I would love to do that sometime. You are very welcome and thanks for the visit :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, many welcomes to those wonderful signs that Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...wishing you a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Tennyson's sentimentality. This is a beautiful poem about the snowdrop. I don't have them in my yard, but I'd sure love to. I was reading about the many varieties of these beauties recently. So pretty , Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have said it better myself, thank you Martha Ellen, Tennyson certainly had a lovely way with words :) I don't have them in my yard either but hope to one of these days.

      Delete
  7. Such pretty little flowers. I've never heard that poem before. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so! It was a new one to me also. I am always delighted to find a new-to-me poem :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely poem! They are so sweet! I have never seen any at all! Wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too Ginny, I'm fortunate as the snowdrops are very popular in the gardens at this time of the year :)

      Delete
  9. I don't think I have any of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful poem to enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love snowdrops but don't have any. Lovely words in the poem Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful little flowers aren't they? :) Glad you enjoyed the poem too.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!