Monday, February 19, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - BEEF CHOW MEIN

A very tasty dish found at  Kitchen Sanctuary hosted by Nicky.  Thanks Nicky, this was a delicious recipe.  The original recipe can be found here.  A lot of good tips at her website, and more great recipes I will be trying.


Beef Chow Mein 

Serves 4

470 calories per serving

From prep to table in approximately 30 minutes


150 g (5.3 oz) dried chow mein noodles - or dried fine egg noodles

3 tbsp sunflower oil

300 g (10.5 oz) thin sirloin, skirt or flank steak - sliced thinly, against the grain 

¼ tsp garlic salt

½ tsp black pepper

1 small onion - peeled and sliced

2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced

1 carrot - peeled and sliced into matchsticks

½ green bell pepper - deseeded and sliced

¼ cabbage - thinly sliced

100 g (3.5 oz) beansprouts


Chow Mein Sauce:

1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)

2 tbsp dark soy sauce

1 tbsp Chinese rice wine

2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)

2 tbsp hoisin sauce

90 ml (⅓ cup) beef stock

1 tbsp sesame oil

¼ tsp white pepper


To Serve:

chopped spring onions (scallions)

sesame seeds

chilli flakes


Cook the chow mein noodles, in boiling water, as per the pack instructions, then drain and run under cold water to stop them sticking together.

While the noodles are cooking, make the chow mein sauce. In a small bowl, mix together the cornflour, soy sauce, and Chinese rice wine, until the cornflour is fully incorporated.

Add kecap manis, hoisin sauce, beef stock, sesame oil, and white pepper. Mix together to combine and put to one side.

Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a wok over a high heat.

Season the steak strips in the garlic salt and pepper, then add to the wok and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning once or twice, until the steak is just cooked.

Remove the steak from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.

Add the remaining one tablespoon of oil to the wok

Add the onion, garlic, and carrot, and fry for 3 minutes, regularly tossing everything together with a spatula.

Add the green pepper, cabbage, and beansprouts and fry again for 2 minutes, keeping everything moving in the wok with your spatula.

Now add the steak strips back to the wok, along with the noodles. Pour the chow mein sauce over the top.

Stir fry everything together for 2-3 minutes, tossing regularly with a set of tongs, until the noodles are hot.

Serve topped with spring onions, sesame seeds, and chilli flakes.


Nicky's Notes: 

Freeze the Steak - just a little

Place the steak in the freezer for 30-40 minutes before slicing. This will make the meat firmer and easier to slice thinly.

Can I make it ahead and/or freeze?

Nicky does not recommend making this dish ahead, it tastes much better when eaten right away.

Ingredient swaps

Swap out the steak for chicken or prawns. Add different vegetables - mushrooms, bamboo shoots, red peppers and mange tout all work great!

Full address below if you would rather copy and paste to get to Nicky's website.

https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/beef-chow-mein/


Our changes and what did we think?

It was a delicious combination of food and flavors. We thought it was an excellent dish.  As we most often do, we changed some ingredients with what we had in our supplies.

For the beef we bought an already marinated uncooked container of sliced beef from our local Asian grocery. We have bought it several times and have used it on its own or in stirfrys. This no doubt changed the flavor of our version but everything tasted great and we were very happy with the result.

Instead of using the dried or fine egg noodles, we used dried Ramen Noodles, removing the season packet before cooking while following the directions on the packet.

We didn't have any sweet bell pepper and used a packet of sliced mushrooms. We also had Bok Choy in the fridge and used that instead of the cabbage.

We added extra beansprouts on top of our meal at the table, along with toasted sesame seeds.

We had enough left for another meal the next day   It tasted even better.

Additional note: blogging friend Ann mentioned in her comment that she didn’t have a wok. I forgot to add originally that we don’t have one either and used a frying pan big enough for the ingredients.  

A great dish, wonderful flavors.



39 comments:

  1. It is very healthy! You are so good at making successful substitutions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, this is one of those dishes that is very easy to do that :)

      Delete
  2. I do variation of that on the weekly basis for different vibe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, it’s a great dish to use lots of different ingredients and would be delicious catered to our own tastes :)

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious. I would definitely eat this. I don't have most of the ingredients though so it would require a bit of shopping. I don't even have things to substitute.. Come to think of it, I don't even have a wok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be easy enough to just use your own frying pan. I should add that as we didn’t use a wok, and did just that :). I am going to make an addition to the recipe.

      Delete
  4. Hello Denise,
    Looks delicious, I would enjoy the ingredients you used for you recipe.
    Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, so glad you like the look of this. Thanks Eileen :)

      Delete
  5. I love Chow Mein! This looks good!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't remember the last time we had chow mien. this looks so good... I love it with those crisp noodles that come in a can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, those crispy noodles sound good! :)

      Delete
  7. This recipe reminds me of La Choy Beef Chow Mein. I used to eat La Choy a few times a month. It has been a long time since doing so. I am certain this recipe would be better! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :) I remember La Choy. Gregg used to like Dinty Moor Beef Stew.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a very healthy dish to eat. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like an interesting dish, tasty and healthy. I'll try it sometime. Good Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katerina and I hope you like it.. A good week to you also :)

      Delete
  10. I need to go have breakfast now since photo and recipe are making my stomach growl. Happy new week to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling here :) I hope you enjoyed your breakfast Ellen :) Happy week to you too.

      Delete
  11. That sounds good and I love how you substituted -- those special ingredients would have stopped me from even thinking about the recipe even though I love stir frys -- I just can't bring myself to buy ingredients like that special soy sauce and so forth that I won't use often. Especially since we try not to have too many leftovers in the frig when its time to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love leftovers but it would definitely change things if we were traveling. We make a lot of Asian food and always have these ingredients in the fridge. I have been loving your travel photos Sallie :)

      Delete
  12. That is a great meal. We use a large frying pan instead of a wok as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) Woks are great but so is the frying pan.

      Delete
  13. It looks delicious. We had a Chinese meal cooked by our Chinese Singaporean Managing Director, who organise a Chinese New Year celebration for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane and that sounds like another wonderful celebration. I look forward to seeing your post :)

      Delete
  14. I must give this recipe a try, Denise. It's not something I make here, but I'm sure we would all enjoy these flavors. I like hearing about your substitutions with what you have on hand--something I do frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Martha Ellen, I do hope you will enjoy it as much as we did :) I am also happy you enjoy the substitution information. These recipes lend themselves to that don't they? We use whatever we have in our pantry/fridge supplies.

      Delete
  15. I've never heard of beef chow mein, only chicken. And it's a favorite of mine. I order it every time. ; ) You always make the most wonderful dishes, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!