Monday, May 8, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

I have other oatmeal cookies on my blog, but am always interested in trying new-to-me recipes.  I'm glad I found it at Avery Cooks as it is our favorite so far.  You can click on this link to see the original.  There are a lot of advertisements on this blog, more than I am used to, but I waded through them and happy I came across this cookie.


The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Servings: approximately 12 depending on the size of your cookies


1 large egg

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temp (1 stick)

1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1-1/2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats (not instant or quick cook)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, added to taste

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

pinch salt, optional and to taste

1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup raisins or nuts, optional and to taste


To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the egg, butter, sugars, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 4 minutes.

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, optional salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the chocolate chips, optional raisins or nuts, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.

Using a large cookie scoop, 1/4-cup measure, or your hands, form approximately 12 equal-sized mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten slightly (you can if you like put a few chocolate chips on top of each one, pressing them gently into each unbaked cookie).

Place each one on a large plate or tray, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 5 days. Do not bake with unchilled dough because cookies will bake thinner, flatter, and be more prone to spreading.

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray. (I used parchment paper.) Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart.

Bake for about 11 minutes (for super soft cookies, longer for more well-done cookies), or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don’t overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool.

Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don’t use a rack.

Notes from Avery Cooks:

Baked cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.  This allows you to bake a few cookies at a time and you can save the remaining to be baked for a fresh sweet treat any time you want.

Here is the full recipe address in case you would rather copy and paste into your search engine.


https://www.averiecooks.com/the-best-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/



Wonderful recipe and as mentioned, our favorite so far.  These are the things we changed.

One of us likes chocolate chips, the other likes raisins.  After I added all the nuts I divided dough in half, put 3/4 cup chocolate chips in one half and 3/4 cup of raisins in the other.

Another time I left the chocolate chips out and only used raisins.  I actually preferred it.  I know, no chocolate.  Shocker!

I used a whole teaspoon of cinnamon.

The first time I baked these I didn't have any unsalted butter and used regular.  The second time I had the unsalted, both versions were delicious.

The only old-fashioned oatmeal we could find in our supermarket was wholewheat.  I needn’t have thought twice and have bought it again.  Also it is better for us.  The brand I used was Quaker Oats.

I added 1 full cup of raisins the second time I made these cookies, along with 3/4 cup of walnuts.  I left the walnuts in good sized chunks.  They were like finding little nuggets of gold, and my dear other half liked them better that way.

It is the most vanilla I have every added to any baking (1 tablespoon).  It gave it a wonderful flavor and wasn't overpowering at all.

One of my favorite breakfasts since childhood is still a bowl of hot oatmeal, but when time is at a premium I realized one of these cookies would make a very nice breakfast treat.  I added blueberries on the side, and you could of course use your fruit of choice. One of those individual cups of favorite yogurt would be a nice addition also, and easy to pack if you have to leave the house without the time to eat at home.  Not the ideal situation but better than skipping breakfast entirely.   

I don't do a lot of baking but when we feel like a cookie, this will be our go-to recipe from now on.


That's about all I can think of.







29 comments:

  1. We adore oatmeal cookies. These look terrific, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, so glad you like the sound of these :)

      Delete
  2. They sound good and I love that you can vary what you put into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious. I love oatmeal cookies but I also love chocolate chip cookies. This is the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have said it better myself, thanks Ann :)

      Delete
  4. I love a big cookie! Thanks for the recipe!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Donna, sending hugs too :)

      Delete
  5. I miss cookies, but I do have 2 that are all natural with only natural sugar. 6 years of no cookies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy. I could do this right now with just the raisins. Does any real human person who cooks actually know why recipes call for unsalted butter? I don't bake enough to keep two kinds on hand and when we need butter (Ok, lol, want not need) for cooking, we much prefer salted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sallie, I have often wondered about that myself. Salted/unsalted? I bought the unsalted but bought it on a whim before making this. I'll have to do a little research :)

      Delete
  7. Oatmeal Chocolate chip cookies are a favorite around here. I'd have a mutiny on my hands if I altered the tried and true recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do look very nice :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, you have to put a yummy cookie recipe out while I am starving and bach'ing it for a few weeks. Now I am craving cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, sorry about that Jim, wish I could send you some :)

      Delete
  10. I need to.remember this as they are Roger's favorite cookie. I bet he woukd like them thin, though. So I would try some like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing NOT to like about cookies, Denise, and oatmeal are my favorite with raisins or cranberries, but chocolate chips would be enjoyed as well. They are not Patrick's favorite, so not backed often, however that may change because of this recipe, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true Dorothy :) Oatmeal cookies were never a favorite of mine years ago, but I do enjoy them now.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!