Friday, May 5, 2023

AMERICAN BALD EAGLE FOUND SEVERAL YEARS AGO AT...


Hopefully I haven't shared this beautiful Eagle on my 2016 blog before.  I may have of another bird/animal from the same park and apologies if this is a repeat.  

I started on this post by saying:

I would obviously rather see these magnificent birds in the wild, but when we visited this rather amazing park, we were able to see a pair of Bald Eagles close up.  They had been taken there after being injured.  The staff try very hard to release them back into the wild once rehabilitated but I am not sure if these were set free.  I truly hope so.


 This park is a rehabilitation center not only for manatees but for all kinds of birds and if they are not able to be released, they will be given a home here for the rest of their natural lives.

 
 To be in such close proximity to them was a real privilege and one I will always be grateful for.


They are one of the world's largest raptors.  Bald Eagles can weigh up to 15 lbs and are between 28-38 inches in size. Their wingspan can reach up to 7.5 feet. (For comparison: an osprey’s wingspan reaches up to 6 feet, and a red-tailed hawk’s up to 4.8 feet). This expansive wingspan is ideal for soaring, keeping Bald Eagles aloft for longer periods without flapping their wings.


Their impressive wingspan is more than decorative: it allows them to fly at dizzying heights! Bald eagles soar 10,000 feet or more into the air, using thermal air currents to support their glide. This allows them to conserve energy for more important activities, like looking for prey and migrating long distances.


We call a person an “eagle eye” if they have 20/20 vision, but Bald Eagles have much sharper eyesight.  In fact, they typically have 20/40 or 20/50 vision, making them expert hunters. Not only can they spot a small animal two miles away with amazing clarity, but they have a 340-degree field of view, with even better peripheral vision than owls!



Bald Eagles aren't actually bald as their name would imply.  They have a white head of feathers. Where did the name “bald” come from? It is actually a translation of the old English word “piebald,” meaning “white” or “white-headed.”  Its head doesn’t become completely white until they are 4 or 5 years, with about four stages of feather shedding before that.   


Bald Eagles are said to have a grip 10 times stronger than a human. This comes in handy when they use their talons to pick up fish (their favorite meal) from a lake and keep hold of it while gliding through the air. It also allows them to snatch another bird’s prey midair (after hassling the bird to drop its meal).


Known for their dramatic "sky dances", Bald Eagle males will court females with a series of impressive feats.  From high-speed chases to tumbling together, talons locks from great heights as they hurtle towards the ground.  Less active courtship behaviors include sitting shoulder to shoulder, preening and even nest building.  And not only new couples engage in these activities.  Some mated couples perform these rituals to strengthen their bond.


Bald Eagle couples typically mate for life, meaning they can be coupled monogamously for 30 years. The mated pair breeds year after year, producing around 1-3 eggs each time. These eggs are incubated for about 35 days, during which time both the male and female of the couple will share the duty of keeping the eggs warm.  I found all my information at this website and if you would like to see more, click on this link.



Last night, once again, I had a dream
About an eagle in the blue,
And just like all the other dreams,
Right above my head it flew.

In every dream of it I had,
It landed somewhere close by,
And each time, I was so excited
For the beauty that caught my eye.

Our national emblem gracing the sky
For so long I yearned to see,
And envied those fortunate enough
To see him on the wing, being free.

When I awoke from the glorious dreams,
Some disappointment I did feel.
But then I overcame with happiness,
For the dreams had seemed so real.

Majestic Dreams
by
Stacy Smith










32 comments:

  1. He is so perfect that I at first thought he was a statue. The shots are beyond gorgeous, fierce, and impressive. I see he did not fly from you. Was he able to fly? What an unforgettable experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I wasn't very close as I had my zoom lens. Always grateful for getting close-up photos. It has been several years since I took them but if I remember correctly these birds were not able to fly at the time. It was indeed a very unforgettable experience :)

      Delete
  2. The eagle looks so sharp with so much details! So good to be so close to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy for this opportunity Roentare :)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to be so close to this magnificent raptor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing experience and a wonderful memory for me :)

      Delete
  4. Some excellent shots of the eagles Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I was very fortunate as I had no idea what I would encounter when we visiting the park :)

      Delete
  5. Amazing photos. They are very impressive birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post on the Bald Eagle! Beautiful photos. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you take care and have a happy weekend also :)

      Delete
  7. Aren't they majestic! Perfect selection for our country's symbol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are Latane and thank you. Most definitely the perfect choice for our country :)

      Delete
  8. Majestic is what they are, even on the ground and I do hope they were able to once again sore to thousands of feet in the air. so beautiful and sad they were harmed and had to be saved. love the up close details of head feathers and the mottled feathers of the boyd are similar to our ducks. i have seen the osprey fly and dive, and in fact have them on my blog today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great word to describe this amazing bird Sandra :) I hope so too and agree with you. I have seen your osprey photos, they were wonderful!

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous pair!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were :) Thank you Donna, with hugs!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful Eagle Pictures. I too loved that park when we visited . I hope to do another post soon about our local Eagles (here in Fort Myers). I can already tell you that the pictures, if any, will definitely not be anywhere near as good as these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie :) Thank you and it makes me happy you also have been to that park. It is a wonderful memory for all that we saw there. I know I would not get as good of a photo if it were not for their rehabilitation program, and I bet when you do get to see your eagles, your photos will be awesome.

      Delete
  11. I agree it is sad that wild animals/birds are not free but sometimes it is to their advantage to be in a rehabilitation centre. At least they get looked after and we get to see some close up. Almost all the animal photos I took on our recent trip are in the wild though in National Parks, many not fenced. Three lions I saw though had been rescued from the Ukraine, they have never been free and will never cope with normal life in a reserve. They are very happy in a large fenced area living as near to wild as they ever will be able to. Have a good weekend, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very sad but like you I am glad there are these rehabilitation centers. I found your story about the three lions very interesting and am glad they also will be taken care of. Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete
  12. Amazing creatures. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. He was and this bird is so noble looking Carol :)

      Delete
  14. They are so thrilling to see..it always gives us such joy to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rose, I don't get to see them often but they lift my spirits when I see them :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!