Monday, May 15, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - AVOCADO TOAST


No link this week, as this is very simple. I wanted something light for supper. I have seen avocado toast with various toppings for a while now. This is what I have been putting together lately. 


1/2 to 1 avocado

1 scant teaspoon olive oil

1 slice of wheat bread 

(or another favorite) 

1 small sliced tomato

Toasted Sesame Seeds


In a small bowl scoop out the avocado with a spoon and mash with a fork.  Meanwhile, toast your bread.  Spread the avocado over toast. Drizzle with olive oil.  Add the sliced tomato on the top. Sprinkle with desired amount of sesame seeds.  

Serve immediately and enjoy!

🥑 

I have only just started eating avocado toast.  We usually share an avocado, putting half in a small dish, removing the seed and adding a dash or two of Worcestershire Sauce to each avocado half in the well left by the seed.  

The other way we enjoy is to peel and cube the avocado and add to a salad.  

For the toast I used Dave's Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grain. My son suggested it.  I had a visceral reaction to the name, but he said I shouldn't let that put me off, that it was excellent bread.  There is an interesting story of how this company came to be, as I found out later.  You can read all about it at their website here. They are called a second-chance company and give jobs to people who have served time in prison.  As you read the info you will see how that came about too.

Toppings could be varied and I thought a sliced, hard-boiled egg, or a poached egg, would be nice on the top.

Maybe a drop or two of lemon juice mixed either into the avocado or on top.

A sprinkle of chili flakes would give them a bit of a zip.

If you have any other ideas, perhaps you can leave them in a comment.  

That's about it for this one.






32 comments:

  1. Yum. And yes to the chilli flakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your supper does look nice and bet it tasted delicious.
    Supper I suppose you mean about 10pm, before you go to bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, thank you. Supper for me means something light and I don’t usually eat anything after 7:00 p.m.

      Delete
  3. So colorful and healthy. And so many variations to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ginny, and I love a poached egg on the top :j

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is something I never had until I moved here :)

      Delete
  5. Avocado is my favorite weight loss food now

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good but the one time I tried avocado I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I knew one friend who said they tasted like soap :)

      Delete
  7. We eat avocado any way we can get it. It really is wonder food and tastes so damn good, and the texture is fabulous too. Mostly we use it as part of a salad, but sometimes we have a few slices on the side of the plate whatever we are eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately hubby and I have mostly the same food tastes. We split ways on broccoli :)

      Delete
  8. You just reminded me I have an avocado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! They do go past their eating stage so quickly.

      Delete
  9. this looks so good, and now that i have seen it, it makes me sad the drought has ruined our avocados.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, I was very happy to come across this recipe :)

      Delete
  11. Yum. I make a variation of this.. bread, baby spinach, avocado, some cheese topped off with a fried egg. Makes for a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that all sounds so delicious! Thank you for the ideas :)

      Delete
  12. Love avocados! This looks like a perfectly healthy and delicious breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I am waiting for the avocados to ripen so that I can have it again :)

      Delete
  13. We LOVE that bread!!!! And we do indeed use it for avocado toast. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Mine is similar, but with a dippy egg right on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad :) oh yes, need to try it with the egg. Thanks Billie Jo :)

      Delete
  14. I've never seen it with tomatoes -- that looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty but I do like to try it with other things :)

      Delete
  15. Oh my, I've never tried avocado toast. It looks amazing. I think the sesame seeds make it. Dave's breads are always so tasty. I get them from time to time.

    Have a happy May week, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri :) I need to get a loaf on the shopping list :) I am finally able to catch up on answering comments and am writing this on June 4th, so Happy 4th!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!