Thursday, May 4, 2023

A WALK NEAR WALNEY VISITOR CENTER

 We were at another favorite area we go to, a place near Walney Visitor Center.  There won't be too many photos this time, but if you click on this link, you will be able to see other posts I have taken over the years.  

There are small patches of land that have been fenced off, for produce, an orchard and not sure about a third.  
We sat on our usual bench underneath the arbor for ten minutes and watched bluebird parents come and go, as they brought food for their babies.  

Decals found in a window at the Visitor Center and...
Dandelions!  How come I love a whole field of dandelions and yet don't want any in my garden?  That should be the start of a poem, "Ode to a Dandelion".  There is more to the dandelion than we see as a pesky weed.  Thinking back to my childhood, my father used to make dandelion wine.  I remember once he put too much sugar in a batch and those bottles of wine that were stored in a small cupboard underneath the staircase, all the corks popped off like a rocket.  
It not only caused a big mess, but the house smelled of wine for weeks, even with all of Mum's cleaning.  She was a good sport, even though she wasn't too happy about that.  I always remember laughter for years after, as the story was remembered and retold among family and friends.  There was a series of bangs as one by one the corks blew their top, one after the other, in quick succession.  The Spruce has a recipe for dandelion wine here.  If I ever made it, I would be measuring that sugar very precisely.

At this website there is a paragraph which reads: "Did you know, for instance, that the leaves, flowers, and roots of dandelion are edible or that the dandelion has purported medicinal properties? Bees and other pollinators also rely on them for a nectar source early in the growing season.”

~Ground Ivy~

~Common Blue Violet~







and one last view of the fenced-off vegetable garden.

That's the end of my photos taken near the Walney Visitor Center.





38 comments:

  1. Your Iris photos are wonderful! Sharp, brilliant, and beautiful! This place is such a beautiful GREEN! I love dandelions and love having them in our yard as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, and good for you on those dandelions :) I need to be a little more open minded when one pops up in my yard, lol!

      Delete
  2. I love dandelions and they are so good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in our corner of the UK the grassy verges along the roads have been left uncut by the council at this time of the year and the dandelion flowers are prolific. I remember a dandelion and burdock soft drink could be bought when I was a child. That's a good story about the bottles of wine popping their corks and I smiled. In Italy the young, tender dandelion leaves are gathered, washed and added to a salad or cooked as a vegetable like spinach. Lovely wild flowers at the visitor centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting Linda, I have seen recipes with the leaves in salads but not cooked like a vegetable. I'm getting educated about this simple little wildlflower. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful place to visit. The popping dandelion wine story is a beauty - and it would have been told and retold in our house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Sue, sometimes it seems like only yesterday :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lovely place. Is the produce grown to sell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann :) I don't think they sell it but give it to locals who are having a hard time.

      Delete
  6. I really like that last view of the garden. I love to see dandelions and our yard is full of weeds but no dandelions. bob said they ate a lot of dandelion greens when he was growing up. all I ever did was blow the white things all over the world, what fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about Bob Sandra. I've read there are many other things out there that we don't know about are edible :)

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    The bees love the dandelions, a reason to let them grow. Beautiful post, pretty blooms and photos. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Eillen and thank you :) You take care and have a great day also.

      Delete
  8. I love irises. The colours pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like their flowers! I have some blooming in my yard right now...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely spring photos, dont want those dandelions in my garden either sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, and yes they are a determined little wildflower :)

      Delete
  11. Nice! I need to go back there. I did visit Walney a couple of years ago after seeing it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you got to see it Linda :) Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  12. You could wrote a book about homemade wine and beermaking explosions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many pretty flowers! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Gigi, glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  14. Haha … you do have quite a unique history regarding dandelions. They are such resilient flowers and it is interesting that although we admire this bloom we rarely are happy to see it on our yards. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of putting it Penelope, lol! Yes, it's a conundrum of a wildflower :)

      Delete
  15. Lovely walk and great photos. I agree dandelions are beautiful but please stay out of my garden. Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane :) and you have a good day also!

      Delete
  16. Nice to see your photographs.
    The Bearded Iris are lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  17. This is so funny! Art used to be aghast when the kids would blow the puff off the dandelion heads on our lawn. Here in Hawaii, I don't see any dandelions.
    By the way, Denise, we did enjoy our time in the British Isles. I hope you get to visit a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny but I feel for Art. I remember blowing those seeds all over the place when I was young. The birds love them though :) How wonderful you were in the British Isles Kay. It's been a while since I was there and good to know you enjoyed your trip.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful spring flowers and the Dandelion wine story had me laughing! Household disasters like that aren't funny at the time, but they make great stories to pass down through the generations (and to share with your readers!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, glad you enjoyed my wine story. It still gives me a chuckle when I remember it :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!